So hunting boots, what do you like?

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
dewey

So hunting boots, what do you like?

Postby dewey » September 21st, 2012, 3:05 pm

I have had a pair of Rocky boots since 2004 and I believe it is time for me to get some new boots. I hunt in Minnesota in temperatures from 15 degrees during the muzzleloader deer season to 70 degrees in a spring turkey hunt. I like the Rocky boots but I would also like to see what everyone else has and what they like. I have heard good things about the Danner boots. I would like a boot that can keep my feet dry and warm but yet are comfortable for me to cover numerous miles in one day.

What are your thoughts? I think I might go to Cabelas' this weekend to look at some.

Thanks.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

Treerooster

Re: So hunting boots, what do you like?

Postby Treerooster » September 22nd, 2012, 8:40 am

I don't think I could find just one boot to fit that temperature range.

I like Lacrosse knee high rubber boots for most of my tureky hunting. Other hunting too for that matter, like ruffed grouse and deer etc. I have an uninsulted pair for warmer weather and an insulated pair for cold weather. I tried the boots with neopreme on the uppers, but they only lasted 1 hour before I tore the fabric. I run 2 pairs of uninsulated boots as my feet do sweat in them and I alternate the boots to let them dry. Lacrosse makes a felt boot liner that icreases comfort significantly. I throw out the liner the boot came with and use the felt ones.

In the mountains when its dry I have some Danner Pronghors I use. When its wet I go with the Lacrosse rubber boots.

I tried those lace up Rocky boots once but did not like them. They leaked eventually (as ALL Gortex boots do IME) and I had to get up 15 minutes earlier every morning to lace them up. :D
As far as this turkey thing......I know enough...to know enough...that I don't know enough

rbewilson

Postby rbewilson » September 22nd, 2012, 9:41 am

I love my danners,I have a pair of hunting boots that is about 7-years old and my feet still stat dry and warm.I also have a pair of wook boots they are comfortable for all day at work.

Chief Many Longbeards

Postby Chief Many Longbeards » September 22nd, 2012, 10:05 am

i've favored lacrosse uninsulated knee boots for years for turkey hunting. too many creeks to cross and wet weeds/grass/hay to walk through for me to wear leather shoes.
used to wear burlys but am now on my second pair of alpha burly sports. they are light and fit so well it's like wearin tennis shoes.

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » September 22nd, 2012, 5:24 pm

For cold where I will not be doing much walking I wear the Mickey Mouse boots in black. Even if I walk a lot they keep my feet warm when I stop. For turkey, squirll, non-snow cover rabbit hunting I use a lightly insulated leather boot. Last year I picked up a pair of mil-surp desert tan boots that I am liking more all the time. For walking in snow I use Northerns, but they don't work very well when you have to stand for any length of time.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

Mossberg835

Postby Mossberg835 » September 23rd, 2012, 3:39 am

I have a pair of ranger muckboots that I use for spring turkey hunting. They aren't warm enough usually for the cold mornings up here in the fall. I use a pair of insulated Rockies then. I wanna get a pair of lacrosse to try out.
Hunt for thunder chickens for months at a time...you know that's right

retranger

Postby retranger » September 23rd, 2012, 8:10 am

Every one has their own likes. What serves one well may not do so for others . I have gone with Rocky and Wolverine, they have served me well. Very comfortable right out of the box. I wore the LL Bean rubber bottom leather top for years but have gotten away from them,,,,not what they used to be.
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » September 23rd, 2012, 9:35 am

I have a pair of 12 year old NWTF Rocky scent free rubber boots that are dry rotting along the flex points, but I can't bear to part with them yet. I also can't wear them around water much, so they don't get a lot of use.

I wear Danner snake boots most of the time and Redhead (BPS) rubber boots when conditions require them. The biggest trouble I have with rubber boots is they are too narrow for my wide foot (EEE). Those Rocky boots fit like a glove and have been incredibly durable. I hate they quit making them.

Deer hunting I use the Redhead rubber boots in warmer temps and I have a pair of insulated Rockys when it gets cold.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

Treerooster

Postby Treerooster » September 24th, 2012, 1:51 pm

Chief Many Longbeards wrote:i've favored lacrosse uninsulated knee boots for years for turkey hunting. too many creeks to cross and wet weeds/grass/hay to walk through for me to wear leather shoes.
used to wear burlys but am now on my second pair of alpha burly sports. they are light and fit so well it's like wearin tennis shoes.

Exaxtly!

I hunt by a river a lot and when its too deep to cross for knee boots I will hunt in hip waders. I use the Lacrosse ankle fit hip boots which is really just and extended version of their Lagrange knee boot. Those hip boots used to be refered to as Alaskan tennis shoes. I have walked 6 or 7 miles in them in a day with no ill effect.
As far as this turkey thing......I know enough...to know enough...that I don't know enough

1Morgan

Postby 1Morgan » September 25th, 2012, 7:52 pm

LaCrosse Alpha Burly
South Carolina Low Country

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion