The Real Mating Call

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
StevePA

RE: The Real Mating Call

Postby StevePA » February 23rd, 2009, 5:05 am

ORIGINAL: Wizz

Good topic!  We also have to remember that it's mating season and the senses are heightened tremendously for various reasons.  When hormones are involved....everything is at a greater level. 

Thank God for 2 yr olds for alot of these guys....
turkeykiller

dmcianfa

Postby dmcianfa » February 23rd, 2009, 5:12 am

ORIGINAL: TurkeyComander

There you go demeaning me again...

Here's some reading for you....the drumming is almost an infrasound as far we are concerned.

Infrasound is sound that is lower in frequency than 20 cycles per second, the normal limit of human hearing. Hearing becomes gradually less sensitive as frequency decreases, so for humans to perceive infrasound, the sound pressure must be sufficiently high. The ear is the primary organ for sensing infrasound, but at higher levels it is possible to feel infrasound vibrations in various parts of the body.
The study of such sound waves is sometimes referred to as infrasonics, covering sounds beneath 20 hertz) down to 0.001 Hz. This frequency range is utilized for monitoring earthquakes, charting rock and petroleum formations below the earth, and also in ballistocardiography and seismocardiography to study the mechanics of the heart. Infrasound is characterized by an ability to cover long distances and get around obstacles with little dissipation.

Here's the link. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infrasound

You do not know that drumming is an infrasound.  Where does it mention this. 
What the hell are you talking about.  It mentions migratory birds, do you think the wild turkey is a migratory bird?  If so, you need some teachin' son.  Keep picking up yer facts from wiki and google, they are sound.  HA!
"After eating an entire moose, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut."

dmcianfa

Postby dmcianfa » February 23rd, 2009, 5:25 am

If you will look at the Wild turkey link it's becomes apparent that not near as much study on their senses has been done in comparison to other animals like the whale or elephant

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_Turkey

Here's a good read.

http://books.google.com/books?id=p02e-yUwz0UC&pg=PA6&lpg=PA6&dq=drumming+sound+of+the+wild+turkey&source=bl&ots=rLUad_M3D5&sig=KqpcW7q_AvCG6idTp7F9uI1dtfc&hl=en&ei=iO2hScX_GpPHtgeS4PGEDQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=8&ct=result#PPA7,M1

The drumming soind still remains a mystery...and is a low frequency sound on the verge of being an infrasound.

Where is it telling you its on the verge in either of these links?  Show me, cause I fail to see that it is even close to 20 (threshold) of human hearing.  This is ridiculous. 
"After eating an entire moose, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut."

dmcianfa

Postby dmcianfa » February 23rd, 2009, 5:35 am

The Turkeys caney ability to locate a sounds source is called "Spatial hearing".
I think after to read this you'll find why no one has investigated this in a wildturkey....a turkey hunter knows how advanced a gobblers spatial hearing is.

http://books.google.com/books?id=YIXRVNAaBdUC&pg=PA348&lpg=PA348&dq=Spatial+Hearing+in+Humans+and+Animals&source=bl&ots=0NAPbPNaG8&sig=Csa5gVs-bw_5vY5CaScgxMoI1b0&hl=en&ei=gfGhSa2RPJjAtgfJsoyMDQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=4&ct=result

Is this in your text book professor ?

I never said turkey's don't have spacial hearing.  In what post did I say that?  Please show me because you are really showing your true colors here by arguing about the turkey's hearing, when all I stated was that frequency is not a factor in sound distance equation.  Get your stuff together, your looking really bad here.  I also see no mention of turkeys in your link in the quote above either, just humans.  But that is besides the point!  Every one of your posts are innaccurate and you have shown me that you cannot provide a credible reference, only half-cocked statements from wiki or google that aren't even saying what your theories state.  Your just making false conclusions based on, at best, innaccurate and misleading information.  Be careful when you assume a conclusion that does not reflect what the information you reference states.  It definetely holds to the truth about assuming.  For the first part anyway. 

tracebusta32

Postby tracebusta32 » February 23rd, 2009, 5:56 am

I once killed a turkey that sounded like an elliephant..... [8|]

Do they have those in Tennessee?
Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

StevePA

Postby StevePA » February 23rd, 2009, 6:29 am

ORIGINAL: tracebusta32

I once killed a turkey that sounded like an elliephant..... [8|]

Do they have those in Tennessee?

Did you use the Johnny Sneakum method?...
turkeykiller

tracebusta32

Postby tracebusta32 » February 23rd, 2009, 6:44 am

Well I guess you could say that I did, you see I was talkin to a check point biologist and he had one of them low frequency drum checkers in his pocket and while he was showing it to me the darn thing buzzed and pinpointed a large sized animal drumming clear over the state line in the memphis,tn area.
I threw my blind in the back seat and headed out, 400 miles later I found this large elliephant sized turkey feeding over a pile of corn in some fellers backyard, I got out of my truck and went over this fellers house and asked him about this large turkey (the guy really thought he knew everything about turkeys) he said yeah go ahead and shoot um Ive done tagged out without leaving the house all spring.
I preceded to belly crawl with my tent over me all the way up to about 60 yards, I pulled out my ranger finder and decided he was in range so I kilt him.
Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

dmcianfa

Postby dmcianfa » February 23rd, 2009, 6:45 am

I do not see any of your links clearly stating that the turkey spit and/or drum is an "infrasound" of frequencies lower than the human threshold of sounds at low frequencies.  Without this, your theory, quite frankly, is debunked.  Yes, Elephants may utilize this type of communication at a HIGH INTENSITY (db) level and low frequency (to better move around obstacles), but lets face it TC, TURKEYS ARE NOT ELEPHANTS.  They are not even in the same subspecies within the animal kingdom.  If you would like to talk more about elephants and their communication techniques, you should probably frequent the Elephant and Elephant Hunting website and their subsequent forums.  Maybe those folks there would believe your assumptions that a turkey communicates exactly like an elephant! In the meantime, I think we can all agree that we can in fact hear the drum and it is probably at a low frequency of some sort, but does it travel for umpteen miles?  NO, i say.  Not likely.  Can other birds hear it for umpteen miles? Maybe, I'm not sure.  I do know one thing though I hear gobbles every time I go out turkey hunting and that is probably a higher frequency than that of a drum.  Measure the amplitude of the sound wave and you will have your answer on which travels farther! simple as that.  The math behind sound principles do not lie.  These people that come up with the Equations spend much of their life studying it and it must be recognized by their peers and accepted as being correct before it is even thought about being published in books to teach others.  They have much more credibility than you or me and should not be taken with a grain of salt, as google and wiki clearly represents.  Good god

Previous

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion