Calling...is it overrated?

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
silvestris

RE: Calling...is it overrated?

Postby silvestris » February 22nd, 2009, 1:50 am

A good caller is one who sounds realistic and makes the proper call for the situation at hand.  One can make perfect calls, but if he doesn't know what to say at the time or not say, he will not be a good caller.

See pages 170-72 of "The Wild Turkey and Its Hunting" by E.A. McIlhenny.
Why be good when you can B-Mobile or Spin & Strut.

turkeydoghunter

Postby turkeydoghunter » February 22nd, 2009, 4:59 am

i know a couple call makers that make the weirdest sounds on a trumpet i ve ever herd....if it wasnt for their box calls they wouldnt ever kill a turkey

deja vu

Postby deja vu » February 22nd, 2009, 6:13 am

IMO a good caller is one that has a good understanding of turkey vocabulary and can communicate thoughts (turkey sounds) to a turkey in a way that is logical to the turkey. All sounds are like words in our language, and a jumbled up mess will most likely confuse a turkey..... "come over here big boy, I`m a hot hen" will probably get more results than "I`m boy hot a here over big come hen" I don`t think being able to make perfect turkey notes every time is as important as knowing what to say. Now..... all that being said.... yelp a few times and a tom comes running and about runs over you.... I guess all the vocabulary knowledge wasn`t necessary was it. But get a tough tom..... and it will pay off.
"Old School Elitist"

turkeydoghunter

Postby turkeydoghunter » February 22nd, 2009, 6:58 am

in the spring....a gobbler will let you know what he likes  the  take his  temp. theroy.....once the bird answers your call he knows the right where your at ......from then on most calling is up to you as the hunter....we love to hear that gobbler gobble.....but most of the time he gobbles its because we shocked him with loud calling....after the first few responses i tone it down ...try to act like a hen that is uninterested...soft contented calling ...scatching....ect...[:)]

tracebusta32

Postby tracebusta32 » February 23rd, 2009, 4:06 am

You rely on that calling all you want....did you know where to set up? did you know which way to face? did you know where the turkeys are at? Call all you want if you set up wrong,set up in a place they aren't gonna be see how that works out for ya
Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

Previous

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion