Neat morning at home

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
eggshell

Neat morning at home

Postby eggshell » September 24th, 2012, 8:19 am

This morning i was reading through the threads on this forum, while I waited for the temps to warm a bit. while I was replying to the [u]Trophy Turkey thread[u] our house dog (and my "do everything" buddy around the house) started barking at the door. This usually means the neighbor's dog has come to visit or some deer are out front, so I let her out without looking. when she bolted out the door I looked up to see my resident flock of young turkeys just 20 yards from the front door in my yard. It was too late to call her back so Ginger (oh yeah you see ginger in several of the turkey pictures I've posted) rushed the flock and sent them to the wind. It was a good bust and birds flew up into trees and across the valley. I called her in and waited about 15 minutes and stepped out and threw a whistle run into the morning air and bingo back came a yelp, then a kkee kee run and then a broken poult gobble, game on. There was a monster turkey raucous breaking out and Ginger and I just sat and listened. They all gathered in my back field and made their way up into the woods. It was all I could do to keep Ginger at bay, as she loves chasing turkeys. I used to take her in the fall to scout as she'd find any turkeys within a quarter mile of where I walked. Now I know your thinking, have I hunted her? No I never hunted with her, because she is profoundly gun shy and just about going into complete breakdown at the sound of a gun. I never shoot close to the house as she will just shake in fear, thunder storms means she's in bed with me and the wife. Oh I have dreamed of hunting with her, but we are satisfied to just go chase them from time to time. Some days I'll just ask her if she wants to go find some turkeys and she is at the door whining. So we go just for fun, she comes back and waits with me while we call them back and everything you'd want of a turkey dog, but no shooting is allowed. She's almost twelve so we can't go far anymore, so this morning was a special treat for her. I thank God for the little unexpected pleasures
Bust em, Bag em, thank HIm

misoiltester

Re: Neat morning at home

Postby misoiltester » September 25th, 2012, 6:56 am

It's still a pleasure to have a dog that's a natural, isn't it ;)
Come on and take your camcorder or camera, and post some pics for us, on one of these "no gun hunts"!! I'll bet Ginger isn't camera shy :lol:
Ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts????

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » September 25th, 2012, 12:46 pm

Nothing wrong with cameras or just plain enjoying turkeys. Its all great.
Have you considered archery hunting with Ginger? Crossbow or regular archery should keep Ginger's shyness at bay and after all these years just imagine the look on her face when a turkey is flopping on the ground. :D
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

Dixie Belle

Postby Dixie Belle » September 25th, 2012, 3:00 pm

Great story Dana. She sounds like a great dog. :D :D :D
Good Hunting,
Ted
Dixie Belle Handcrafted Turkey Calls
NWTF award winning calls
Home of the "REBEL YELPER"
Remember "The shade comes free with the tree"

eggshell

Postby eggshell » September 25th, 2012, 3:05 pm

Actually I have not thought of archery hunting with Ginger. I don't own a bow anymore and the Mrs and kids throw a fit when I mention it. You see the last time I went archery hunting for turkeys I ended up in a hospital fighting for my life. Somehow it made them feel better for me to dump the crossbow and kinda promise not to take one hunting again. I'm sure it's just the mental thought of what happened that makes them uneasy, as archery hunting is very safe, and my getting shot was a fluke accident, but since it makes them feel better I agreed to quit archery hunting. Ginger isn't up for much hunting these days as she had a serious fight with Lyme disease this summer, but that flock was in the yard again today....so maybe

eggshell

Postby eggshell » September 25th, 2012, 3:09 pm

Thought I'd give you a look at Ginger She has to check out every turkey I bring home.
Attachments
aaaaa 002 [1600x1200].JPG
here's my girl barking at a bird
aaaaa 002 [1600x1200].JPG (113.84 KiB) Viewed 493 times

grizzly

Postby grizzly » September 25th, 2012, 4:33 pm

Dana that just shows that some of the best hunts don't always end with you bringing a bird home . You and Ginger had a great time and that is all that really matters...wayne

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » September 25th, 2012, 4:49 pm

Great story! she sure looks like she likes birds :D

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » September 25th, 2012, 7:13 pm

Great story and pic Dana, as grizzly said, it the hunt that makes the best memories, not the killing part, that's just a bonus. Ginger looks like she enjoys those birds :D .
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

1Morgan

Postby 1Morgan » September 25th, 2012, 7:56 pm

Enjoy your time with your great friend.
South Carolina Low Country

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion