Trophy turkey

ticklishtompro

Trophy turkey

Postby ticklishtompro » September 23rd, 2012, 10:04 pm

Just had to share the trophy bird I shot this morning. No it is not the biggest bird I have ever shot, quite the opposite! It is actually the smallest I have ever shot! It is not even a gobbler but instead the first hen I have ever shot. But it makes it no less a trophy in my eyes. It was the first fall bird I ever called in to the end of my gun barrel. I have shot gobblers in the fall before, but usually it was an ambush or just being in the right place at the right time.
I got in the woods before light and set up in the woods close to where I thought they would be roosted. Well they weren't there and as it got light there was nothing. So I moved to a little different spot where I figured the birds might come. I was actually watching a nice 8 point buck and thinking to my self I should be sitting in my treestand instead of Turkey hunting when I heard a quiet kee kee and quickly started a kee kee with a few yelps and that was all it took. The 2 birds almost ran in to me and it was done. There wasn't a lot of meat on her, but I am pretty sure she will be delicous.

It just shows that a trophy is in the eye of the beholder, and I can't wait to get out again, as I have a couple more tags in my pocket. And I want to thank a few of you on this forum, as if you hadn't talked up fall hunting so much, I may have let it slip by and missed out on it. I think I am now officially hooked on the fall thing. Not that it took a lot to do it. It didn't even take a big old gobbler to do it, just a small hen which I see as a trophy! :D

Randy
Attachments
IMG952012092395073008.jpg
IMG952012092395073008.jpg (21.6 KiB) Viewed 554 times
Ticklish Tom Custom Calls Prostaff
ttcutomcalls.webs.com
Mossy Oak Prostaff
Hips Archery Targets Prostaff
Dixieland Outdoors Prostaff

WillowRidgeCalls

Re: Trophy turkey

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » September 23rd, 2012, 11:09 pm

Congrats on your jenny, she'll be a fine eating bird, one of the best you've ever tried, and those young wing bones make some great wingbone calls. Good luck with your other tags.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » September 24th, 2012, 3:38 am

Nice job on a mighty fine trophy.Too bad you wasnt able to set up under the roost like you was planning. To me, just being able to hear an entire flock waking up and start chattering at the same time is as rewarding as getting a bird. Congrats again on your hen and I hope you fill several more tags this fall.

eggshell

Postby eggshell » September 24th, 2012, 7:41 am

Wow what a great thread. When I put on my trophy glasses on i am amazed at the size of that birds enjoyment and the spread on the fullfillment is awesome, the pleasure and accomplishment measures are phenomenal and the satisfaction weight is unreal.

I'm afraid that the fall will never be the same for you as you are about to morph into a "A FALL TURKEY HUNTER". i AGREE WITH kygobbler, it is way cool to hear that first peep of the morning build into the full chorus of a flock waking up and saying we're all here in the morning. It's as pure as that first gobble breaking through the morning air of the spring. No symphony ever played better.
Bust em, Bag em, thank HIm

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » September 24th, 2012, 8:12 am

Congrats ttp! I'm really starting to like the fall too. I think spring will always be my favorite, but fall is a close second. I do like how much more relaxed the fall hunt is. Almost zero pressure from other hunters, and no time crunch do to the long season.

Treerooster

Postby Treerooster » September 24th, 2012, 1:58 pm

Great post!!! Good for you and congrats!

I have never thought the true size of a trophy was measured with a tape or a scale.
Last edited by Treerooster on September 24th, 2012, 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
As far as this turkey thing......I know enough...to know enough...that I don't know enough

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » September 24th, 2012, 8:29 pm

:D I love your post ticklish, you captured the essence of the fall hunt. Sure glad you have some extra tags to go and if those run out you just need to come over a little to west where we have so many tags and so little time. :D
Take willow's advice on making some wingbone calls they are deadly calls for all seasons.

Continued good hunting to all,
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

ticklishtompro

Postby ticklishtompro » September 24th, 2012, 10:09 pm

kygobbler wrote:Nice job on a mighty fine trophy.Too bad you wasnt able to set up under the roost like you was planning. To me, just being able to hear an entire flock waking up and start chattering at the same time is as rewarding as getting a bird. Congrats again on your hen and I hope you fill several more tags this fall.

I know exactly what you are talking about. As an avid bowhunter, I have heard it often as I sat on morning hunts. While I thought it was neat I was more focused on the deer than the turkeys. What really made me do this post was 2 things. First when I was telling some turkey hunting friends about it(most just hunt the spring) their first reaction was,"oh you just shot a hen" But as I told them the story they all got a little more interested and even commented how they really never thought much about calling to fall birds either, except for after busting a flock. I think some of them will be giving it a try.

The 2nd reason was when we were discussing the Learn To Hunt I run and one mentor came to mind. 2 years in a row now, the kids he took out passed on shooting jakes. He claims it was the kids decision, but I don't believe it. My goal is to get these kids hooked on turkey hunting, not impress all the other mentors with the bird the kid you took shot. We all get caught up in these "trophy" mindsets. I know I am very guilty of it. But sometimes something just makes you stop and rethink the way you do things. For me it was how proud of that little hen I was, just as proud as when I shot my first gobbler quite a few years ago, and my best gobbler, a 26lb, 11" beard, and 1.5 inch spurs. I am proud of all these birds the same.

Here's the proof, the definition of a trophy. The 2nd picture is of a girl in our hunt that shot a beautiful 3 year old bird, 25lbs., 11" beard, and 1 inch spurs. The first is a 16lb jake with 6" beard and nubs for spurs. I don't know, I think they both look just as happy with their "Trophy" birds.

Randy
Attachments
306060_3164358111345_767639682_n.jpg
306060_3164358111345_767639682_n.jpg (23.7 KiB) Viewed 514 times
IMG952012033195143056.jpg
IMG952012033195143056.jpg (23.34 KiB) Viewed 514 times
Ticklish Tom Custom Calls Prostaff
ttcutomcalls.webs.com
Mossy Oak Prostaff
Hips Archery Targets Prostaff
Dixieland Outdoors Prostaff

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » September 25th, 2012, 11:17 am

The fall of the year is a great time to teach kids turkey hunting, for one thing they can shoot either sex and offers a lot more chance of them getting a bird. If a youngster can't sit still very long you can move around after birds and if they bust one, it's not a lost bird. You can call flocks of birds in and the kids get a chance to see and hear more birds and learn more about them, than they do in the spring. Fall is a great time to teach kids and new turkey hunters about hunting turkeys.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

ylpnfol

Postby ylpnfol » September 26th, 2012, 7:59 am

congrats ticklish, nice bird, fall hunting is a blast.....good luck filling the remainder of your tags.....

every gun makes its own tune.....

Next

Return to Wisconsin