The Real Mating Call

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
mark hay

RE: The Real Mating Call

Postby mark hay » February 21st, 2009, 12:24 pm

consider the grouse and the drumming it makes . consider the ol' alpha dog coyote whose deep territorial howls can be heard at greater distance than the young female . that is based on my experience , in ohio , where there is always a lot of man made noise in the air to be filtered out . i use the word filtered loosely . concentration is probably the word i should have used .
i think the drumming of a grouse can be heard farther than the song of the wren in the same setting and air .

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » February 22nd, 2009, 7:30 am

You also have to consider a Turkey's sense of hearing.  Is it exactly like ours or can they hear sounds out of the human's range? 

Just askin'.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

StevePA

Postby StevePA » February 22nd, 2009, 10:21 am

Shhh.......I just heard some drummin'......

turkeykiller

silvestris

Postby silvestris » February 22nd, 2009, 11:18 am

TC, we may give them more credit that they are due, but until I am convinced otherwise, I am going to give them more credit than I think possible.
Why be good when you can B-Mobile or Spin & Strut.

sputterbug

Postby sputterbug » February 22nd, 2009, 1:23 pm

ORIGINAL: TurkeyComander
I had a nice Rolex watch once...I sold it because it made a pinging noise if I held it real close to my ear....I figured if I could hold it tight against my ear and hear it pinging a gobbler could hear it atleast 40 yards away maybe further.

One option would be leave the Rolex at home.  A Timex would work just as well and I doubt the turkeys care.

dmcianfa

Postby dmcianfa » February 22nd, 2009, 1:27 pm

ORIGINAL: TurkeyComander

ORIGINAL: dmcianfa

I hate to break it to everyone here, but after studying vibrations as an engineer for years, lower frequency sounds DO NOT travel farther than higher frequency sounds. 

Hate to break it to you but you are wrong....do alittle Googling and you'll find out you failed engineer'n.

TC;

You keep googling for your answers to life and trust everything on the internet you read or see.  I'll put my faith in engineering and the textbook on sound and vibrations sitting next to me on my office shelf any day of the week.  I find it very disheartening that you would believe the way you do.  You should do some real research instead of that crap you call fact finding on the net.  The frequency of sound has no bearing on the distance it travels; period.  I did state however, that lower frequencies are more capable of bending around objects and penetrating them more than high frequencies if you would have read my post. Besides, when you deliberately attack someone and call them a failure you better back your statement with some facts as to why you think you are right.  Or are you too fearful to cite where you got your references from?  I'd imagine that's why you didn't , because your not real sure of your answer either.  Do us all a favor and know your facts before you actually type something as demeaning as the above statement.  It's people like you that make this forum distasteful by the lack of disrespect that is shown towards others here.  I'm guessing you havn't fully matured to understand that either though, so I fear my words go to waste.

P.S.- If you want to actually see the formula or equation for Sound distance travel, google it (cause googling it is the only way I believe you'll actually check), I think you'll be suprised at the factors present in the equation, it most certainly does not contain frequency.  If you don't believe that, go to the library and do some real research. 
"After eating an entire moose, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut."

dmcianfa

Postby dmcianfa » February 22nd, 2009, 1:41 pm

Whatever,

another retreated response from someone caught with their hand in the cookie jar by demeaning others and who frequently can't get their facts straight. 
"After eating an entire moose, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut."

SamuraiTater

Postby SamuraiTater » February 22nd, 2009, 3:01 pm

TC, I don't know what to make of your reference source....And Wiki does have a history of being inaccurate at times.  I was an extensively trained radar technician, I know how radio waves are propogated through space and I don't need to look it up on the net to educate myself.  I also know audio frequencies react in much the same way.  If elephants can hear each other's low frequency emmisions for many miles, I'd bet it has more to do with the phenemon known as "skip", than to think that audio energy actually travels through the earth.

In a nutshell, "skip" is where low frequency energy bounces off of lower levels of our atmosphere and reaches distances far beyond line of sight or limits imposed by the natural curvature of the earth.  Frequency is inversely proportional to wavelength.  The higher the frequency, the shorter the wavelength.  If you could straighten out one cycle of the energy from a recepticle in your house (60 Hz) it would stretch from California to Virgina.  If you could stretch out one cycle from your microwave oven, it might be as long as your arm.  Shorter wavelegths travel right through the atmosphere and continue into space.  They also bounce off of smaller objects like buildings and find their way all over the place (think about how well you cell phone works, or maybe the FM band verses the AM band inside a building).  Longer wavelengths (low frequencies) won't penetrate the atmosphere.  They will hit the F-1 and F-2 layers, then bounce right back down.  This is why ham radio operators are able to broadcast from one continent to another using the HF (High Frequency) band.  That's the lowest frequency band that can be propogated off an antenna.

Wizz

Postby Wizz » February 22nd, 2009, 7:53 pm

Good topic!  We also have to remember that it's mating season and the senses are heightened tremendously for various reasons.  When hormones are involved....everything is at a greater level. 

tracebusta32

Postby tracebusta32 » February 23rd, 2009, 4:30 am

I've pondered whether or not a Jake sometimes thinks he knows more than he really does and thats why he comes a runnin everytime someone calls and usually ends up in a bad spot? 
Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

PreviousNext

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion