Abbreviated Kee-Kee runs

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
SamuraiTater

Abbreviated Kee-Kee runs

Postby SamuraiTater » February 22nd, 2009, 10:29 am

Anyone ever heard kee-kees being put out there in less than the usual 3 note burst ?   I was out scouting yesterday morning with a friend.  We had seen gobbler tracks and scratchings and I wanted to re-visit that area at dawn with an owl hooter and see what answered back.  Nothing did, BTW.  But about an hour after sunrise, we were walking a dirt and gravel road in that same area when a jake came out of the woods.  We were busted right in the middle of the road so we simply froze like statues.  He crossed the road and seemed to not pay any attention to us at all.

But when I first heard him, I was confused by the call he made.  It was a 2-note sound, sometimes followed by emphatic yelps.  Took me a moment to realize that the first two notes were the initial part of a kee-kee run, sometimes followed up with lost yelps.  I've been accustomed to hearing "cluck-kee-kee-kee", but his was a just a "cluck-kee....yalp, yalp"  "cluck-kee...yalp, yalp".  He was clearly distressed and looking for company.  There is fresh coyote sign everywhere in that area and I have to wonder if maybe he was flushed onto the roost pre-maturely the previous evening and seperated from his clan.

silvestris

RE: Abbreviated Kee-Kee runs

Postby silvestris » February 22nd, 2009, 11:16 am

Kees can be made in ones, twos or several.  They can be made before, during or after a yelping sequence.  They can be made alone.  The most common is probably Kee-Kee-Kee-Yalk or Kee-Kee-Kee-Yalk-Yalk.
Why be good when you can B-Mobile or Spin & Strut.

StevePA

RE: Abbreviated Kee-Kee runs

Postby StevePA » February 22nd, 2009, 2:58 pm

I missed a jake in the fall that whistled 10 times in a row before showing itself...I think we use "avgs" in calling sequences so we dont confuse our brethern hunters as most havent a clue about turkey vocabulary....
turkeykiller

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion