Fighting Purrs...why 2 strikers on a pot call

Share information about your calls and calling methods!
Treerooster

Fighting Purrs...why 2 strikers on a pot call

Postby Treerooster » September 18th, 2012, 9:57 am

I have seen this mentioned many times. A guy does the fighting purrs on a pot call and uses 2 strikers. Or some even use 2 calls (pot and a mouth call for example).

Why do you use 2 strikers or 2 calls?

Is it really necessary? If so, then why?

Why not just one striker or 1 call? Seems a lot easier to me to just do the fight purrs with one striker instead of balancing the pot somehow and using a striker in each hand.

Also...why we are on the subject;

Do you continue to do the fight purrs until you see the bird coming in, or maybe even after you get a visual?

Or do you stop the calling before the bird shows up?
As far as this turkey thing......I know enough...to know enough...that I don't know enough

WillowRidgeCalls

Re: Fighting Purrs...why 2 strikers on a pot call

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » September 18th, 2012, 11:04 am

The main reason is to get two different bird sounds, two different strikers give two different sounds, the same with two calls.
I use a fighting purr early in the spring, and a lot more in the fall, when birds are deciding pecking orders, and I'll use it right on the roost. It also works good to call a bird back after you shot one if you have another tag or another hunter. When I run it I keep it going until the bird is almost in shooting range or if he locks up coming in.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Duke0002

Postby Duke0002 » September 18th, 2012, 3:21 pm

I make sure the strikers are different woods.

ylpnfol

Postby ylpnfol » September 18th, 2012, 3:36 pm

ditto what scott says about sounding like multiple birds [ i use pot and mouth call ], i however have never kept the calling going when i know/see the bird coming in, guess i'm not a good multi-tasker, i need to focus on killing the darn thing..... :D
David

Unofficial mascot for Team 2
Springtime Assassins

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » September 19th, 2012, 2:01 pm

Like they said make it sound like more than one bird; you can't have fight if there aren't at least 2. I hold the pot call between my knees and play it with 2 different strikers made of different material like carbon, nylon, wood or bone. Also the tips are cut differently; perhaps one narrow and one wide.
Usually I call right up to point of shot, when they are coming to investigate a fight they expect movement, it takes them a moment to figure out its my gun moving. :)
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

Chief Many Longbeards

Postby Chief Many Longbeards » September 21st, 2012, 10:02 am

great stuff, guys!!
i've done pretty well using gobbler clucks and yelps to bring in fall toms but have never really used fighting purrs much, spring or fall.
i use a diaphragm and pot call when i do fighting purrs.
like the sound of the technique of using 2 strikers on the same call.
in fact, i just tried doing it with 2 strikers in one hand. sounded pretty good for first try. anybody do it that way?
i definitely will be practicing fighting purrs before season begins oct. 1!! :D

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » September 21st, 2012, 3:48 pm

A gobbler in the fall is a little easier to call in than one in the spring. They tend to not hold up as much, because in the spring they expect the hen to come to them for breeding. In the fall they tend to go to the other bird because of the dominance thing and the pecking order, which is why a fighting purr works very well in the fall. As you go into an area, you become a new bird in that area, and they will come to put you in your place. That is why if your looking to take a gobbler, use gobbler talk, slow deep raspy yelps, clucks, fighting purrs, squeals, kee kees and gobbles
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Return to Calling