I am new to turkey hunting and my question to you is...

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
silvestris

RE: I am new to turkey hunting and my question to you is...

Postby silvestris » February 22nd, 2009, 11:13 am

One thing I know for certain.  I would rather follow a knowledgeable turkey in a patch of turkey woods than a novice.  There may be fewer turkeys in the area after the  knowledgeable hunter has been there, but what is left is less likely to be queered.
Why be good when you can B-Mobile or Spin & Strut.

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » February 22nd, 2009, 1:20 pm

FAN CLUB
I didn't know that Tomfoolery was such a rare book mine is the 1977 edition also have the original Ben Lee and also the second edition which was aquired from Jim Casada a couple of years ago. Thanks for the info. Jim said that the original Ben Lee was worth quite a bit of money also.
I'am thinking maybe I could swap these two books on a IHW carved classic and have some change left!
Turkeybuster

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » February 23rd, 2009, 1:46 pm

I just checked abebooks.com and found 7 copies of Talking Tomfoolery ranging from $57 to $175.  ABE is one of my favorite book suppliers where you can find rare, hard-to-get books, but you can also find great deals on more common publications.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

Gobblernut

Postby Gobblernut » February 23rd, 2009, 4:39 pm

G.G I'm far from being as accomplished as some of these guys..Athough I have got a few beards on the wall.. The best teacher is the turkey it's self keep reading and asking questions but nothing can teach you better than the bird itself..
Gobblernut

You can't kill'em sittin on the couch!!!!

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » February 23rd, 2009, 4:44 pm

HEY Cut N Run
Just goes to show you you can find just about anything if you know where to look,thanks for the info.
TB

tracebusta32

Postby tracebusta32 » February 24th, 2009, 3:47 am

The old time hunting material is ok to read for the respect aspect of the bird, but those fellas were taught by the bird itself. That is the best teacher in the woods....

Scouting is the MAIN factor to harvesting turkeys.

You can be an average caller and still be a better hunter than most if you scout the area you hunt, if you know what the gobs are doing and what time they are going to do it, you have the advantage.

Good Luck
Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

MAK

Postby MAK » February 24th, 2009, 10:02 am

Mr. Kelly's books are a great read, as are Mr. Groves. The videos produced by Denny Gulvas were a great help to me when I was starting out.  

The more I hunt them the less I'm sure I know. The birds teach me every time I go, and I learn more from the ones that make a fool out of me, than the ones I bring home in the back of the truck. 

trkynut54

Postby trkynut54 » February 24th, 2009, 11:51 am

I was lucky enough to have a mentor help me get started. After that I went out on my own and learned from experience. Like I always say, "Experience is the best teacher"
Don't hunt harder hunt smarter

Previous

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion