I am new to turkey hunting and my question to you is...

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
GobbleGobble

I am new to turkey hunting and my question to you is...

Postby GobbleGobble » February 22nd, 2009, 6:06 am

Hello my Turkey Friends. I am new to hunting turkey, and with all the knowledge you guys have, my question (I hope you can help me on) is............

##############################################

I thought I would start this thread for the- new to the sport ( or those who may have just a season or two under their belt) to ask for help on this crazy sport we call turkey hunting.

I came to this site a year ago because the different magazines on hunting almost ALL assume we know about the sport and does not help those starting from the very beginning. I have asked many questions from you guys and I am now a better hunter from it.

I know you guys say that is what this whole forum is for...but this thread makes it obvious that we will help those new to the sport.
Lets just put it out there and if it is used...It will stay on the front page. If not- it will be bumped off in a week or so.
For those who say tukeys are ugly... just add more gravy!

deja vu

RE: I am new to turkey hunting and my question to you is...

Postby deja vu » February 22nd, 2009, 6:23 am

Well GG, I`ll try to help.... every time I have run across ############ I have tried to ***************** that has worked for me in the past and may help you. Good luck and let us know how you do with the ########### [;)]
"Old School Elitist"

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » February 22nd, 2009, 7:10 am

Nobody else in my family hunts turkeys, so I started by reading everything I could get my hands on (before the days of video tapes & DVDs) to get a greater understanding of the species and as many opinions as possible about Turkey hunting.  While that helped to a degree, spending time in the woods around Turkeys will teach you extremely valuable lessons, if you pay attention & are patient.

I have been fortunate to hunt a piece of land that has a high turkey density with minimal hunting pressure around it. It also doesn't hurt that my best hunting buddy (who has a World Slam & hunts 5 States a year) has been willing to share his turkey hunting observations. The two of us team up (after we have each harvested one bird individually) to feed off each other's strengths in Turkey hunting (I'm a better caller & he has more experience).

I'd say, read, find a mentor/ buddy if you can, spend as much time around Turkeys as possible, and be patient. That was the path for me and it continues to pay off.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

silvestris

Postby silvestris » February 22nd, 2009, 7:53 am

Go to Tom Kelly's website and buy "A Fork in the Road".  Once you have digested that, go to Google Books and read the last half of McIlhenny's book, "The Wild Turkey and Its Hunting".  You will then be in a position to ask turkey questions and understand turkey answers.  In order for a newbie to understand the language of the turkey hunter, one has to study the bird, a process that can be made simpler by reading the above sources.  It is just as hard for the seasoned turkey hunter to intelligently explain turkey hunting as it is for the newbie to understand what is being said.
Why be good when you can B-Mobile or Spin & Strut.

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » February 22nd, 2009, 8:20 am

GG

Good thread GG Silvestris listed some fine reading material also there is The turkey Hunting World Of Ben Lee and Talking Tomfoolery by Earl Groves.

TB

turkeydoghunter

Postby turkeydoghunter » February 22nd, 2009, 8:53 am

get out and hunt ....the turkeys will teach you.....learn from your mistakes.....locate plenty of turkeys  so you can learn from your mistakes and most of all dont make the same mistake twice...... [;)] 

StevePA

Postby StevePA » February 22nd, 2009, 9:09 am

Listen and watch the real thing...Learn their sounds and what they mean...Reading stuff is ok but you have to be able to seperate the BS...Thats another chore in itself...
turkeykiller

rsmithpa

Postby rsmithpa » February 22nd, 2009, 9:52 am

I believe its a combo of what some of the others ahead of me in this thread have stated.  I watched and observed turkeys while bow hunting before I started hunting them.  I then went to seminars given by others that where successful in the sport.  Read a lot and bought a lot of cassett tapes and video's. Then headed for the woods to get the real education I needed. 
Full Fans, Longbeards, and Sharp Spurs

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » February 22nd, 2009, 9:57 am

> Talking Tomfoolery by Earl Groves <

While that is a fine example, obtaining a copy is almost impossible. A Google search reveals there are only a couple currently available through antique dealers for $80.00 or more for 101 pages.

I have an autographed copy of Tomfoolery 2000. I asked Earl at the 2007 convention if he would autograph a copy of "his first book" for me. He laughed and said "Sure, if you can find one... send it to me and I'll sign it and send it back." Earl  himself had no extra copies.

Jim Casada had the only two copies of "Talking Tomfoolery" (1977) at the show. They were both in mint condition and went for $180.00 each. I passed. Jim went on to tell me that there were only a couple thousand copies of the book printed and that it was becoming increasingly harder to find.

Not dissing your suggestion TurkeyBuster, just saying that availability may be an issue.

"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

GobbleGobble

Postby GobbleGobble » February 22nd, 2009, 10:44 am

Awesome on how this thread is going! I did not really start this for me AS MUCH as it was more for the newcomers to this site. I am certainly going to check out some of the books mentioned.

I just know when I began (about 3 years ago) ... it was because of a story I covered (in news) where a group was giving a check to the YMCA, and yes they were with the Turkey club. I listened to a mouth call from one of the hunters and then I just started asking a bunch of questions from there.

Before that day I had never even thought about hunting Mr. Gobbler because I knew nothing about it or no one who hunted them..

That is where the hunting magazines and more importantly this site has helped the most on questions I have had answered..

So new people ASK ANY AND ALL QUESTIONS....These people are good!
For those who say tukeys are ugly... just add more gravy!

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion