Calling...is it overrated?

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
tracebusta32

RE: Calling...is it overrated?

Postby tracebusta32 » February 21st, 2009, 10:55 am

Woodsmanship is the pure essence of turkey hunting
Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

turkeydoghunter

Postby turkeydoghunter » February 21st, 2009, 11:12 am

like i said put em together for the killing machine[:)]

deja vu

Postby deja vu » February 21st, 2009, 11:33 am

tb, that woodsmanship is a tricky thing to pin down. There is much debate about it, if we are talking about someones ability to go into the woods and be able to travel thru an area without unnecessarily disturbing it , observe the natural surroundings and recognize the signs of wildlife and how this may affect a hunt.... yes, that is important, but not as much of an essence as a necessity for a turkey hunter.
Now if you are talking about someone who is a poor caller but has a good knowledge of a spicific piece of land and thereby has a better chance of coming home with game than someone who is a good caller. In that area maybe so.... but spin them around 3 times...drop them in unknown woods and his advantage/essence is gone...that is if the advanced caller is an average "Wodsman" Now if you have an advanced caller that is a bumbeling fool in the woods... and a woodsman that can make some turkey rythem, the odds may swing back in his favor if the turkey is in the mood. There is no better or right or wrong ..... but a good caller can make a turkey do something (the turkey) may not want and that is what some guys really like about the hunt, the challenge of talking/convincing the bird to come to him.
TDH already mentioned it in one of these debates that if you put the 2 together.... you got a killer
"Old School Elitist"

greyghost

Postby greyghost » February 21st, 2009, 11:45 am

I think there is a definition for calling but not woodsmanship.

Now deja vu broke it down fairley well.

turkeydoghunter

Postby turkeydoghunter » February 21st, 2009, 12:38 pm

ive hunted all over this country and have hunted areas  for the first time ....never knowing the spot. i have to say that calling has aided more than the woodsmanship .....esp to locate the birds.....not knowing the lay of the land can put one at a disadvantage ....ie..there could be a river or ditch....a bluff....or something that could hold up the bird......but if he wants to come to you he will..... being able to get around with out spooking the game and locating sign is important....and being a good caller(not sounding like a human)is important....any ways its a real challenge is to hunt a new spot ,[:)] using all your  SKILLS to harvest a bird....it is very rewarding[:D]

turkeydoghunter

Postby turkeydoghunter » February 21st, 2009, 3:25 pm

You boys no whats worst than a whiney hen .....a sneaky jake they will back stabb you everytime[:@]

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » February 21st, 2009, 4:53 pm

> a sneaky jake will back stabb you everytime... <

[:D]

couldn't agree more.
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

StevePA

Postby StevePA » February 21st, 2009, 4:55 pm

I love hunting unknown woods.........Brings out the best in me...
turkeykiller

Limbhanger150

Postby Limbhanger150 » February 21st, 2009, 8:53 pm

I got a question. Is a good caller someone who never misses a note? Is it someone that knows what call to make in particular situation but sounds a little like a... chipmonk?

turkeydoghunter

Postby turkeydoghunter » February 21st, 2009, 10:35 pm

LH....i was hunting once and heard a chipmonk ....all of a sudden it was hen turkey....i thought boy did she fool me...i  kept her around playing with her....id let her walk around me and walk off then i would call her back....this went on for about a 1/2 hour.....soon i heard other hens and a gobble ....well next thing you know they all came in.... that chipmonk sounding hen fought with the other 5 hens and the gobbler in full strutt and a jake  was running around chasing them ....well finally i got a shot and took the goobler ....i thought what great hunt that was, and what a lucky jake 6 hens all to him self.....[:D]

PreviousNext

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion