Take a little one hunting

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
kygobbler

Take a little one hunting

Postby kygobbler » September 16th, 2012, 6:43 am

My little girl is 4 years old and for a year now she has wanted me to take her turkey hunting. So yesterday afternoon I decided to take her and see how she would do before the season started. We were setup in the blind drawing pictures and playing the fun game of "lets see how long you can be quiet" and like any real young kids the game could only last 10 seconds. :D After about an hour we finally had some hens and poults come out in the field and man did her eyes light up. The birds were 100 yds away and my little girl had to get up close to the window to get a better look. As soon as she got close to the window about 5 hens stood in high alert for several minutes. I figured we was busted since they changed their path and went away from us.

After another 1.5 hrs of not seeing the birds baby girl was ready to go and I figured she was right. I flipped the blind over and stood up and what do I see about 50 yards in front us. Yep, you guessed it, I see the top of 4 or 5 heads in the tall grass. I slowly kneel back down and tell baby girl to get behind me. I slowly flip the blind back over us and now Im excited as much as she is. The flock gets about 30 yards from us. The poults get a little pecking order fight to see who goes in the woods first and then they all disappear in the woods.

My little girl wasnt to happy with the birds getting away and tells me lets go after them. :D Oh the words of a true future turkey hunter. So we sneak in the woods and we see them about 20 yds away. I asked her if she wanted to have some fun and that little devilish grin came on her face. We took off in a dead run at the turkeys hooting and hollering and they went flying in every direction. I told her that now we will be able to hear all them talk in a few minutes but she told me that its time to leave because it was potty time.

When we walked out the woods she found and picked up the their feathers from where they was fighting. After we got in the truck and was pulling out she waved to the turkeys in the woods and told them thank you for coming out and playing and told them we wil come again. When she did that it really got me thinking of how we can really take some things for granted. I didnt see my first turkey untill I was 20 yrs old and now I see them every where. So I have to agree with her and say thank you turkeys for coming out and playing with us because without ya I wouldnt have had the fun and memories.

WillowRidgeCalls

Re: Take a little one hunting

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » September 16th, 2012, 9:32 am

Sounds great, you couldn't ask for a better day. Kids have a ball watching those young birds run around and play.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » September 17th, 2012, 5:58 am

My little one is now 11. We do an annual Thanksgiving day deer hunt. She also goes scouting with me. Great memories for sure. Keep her going and set your time out by her clock.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

Dixie Belle

Postby Dixie Belle » September 17th, 2012, 12:31 pm

That is a day that will live with you always. My girls are in their thirties now, but I still remember things like "Let's walk through the swamp again Daddy" or "What time do the squirrels wake up Daddy ?" Treasure it as a gift from God. :)
Ted
Dixie Belle Handcrafted Turkey Calls
NWTF award winning calls
Home of the "REBEL YELPER"
Remember "The shade comes free with the tree"

Mossberg835

Postby Mossberg835 » September 17th, 2012, 1:07 pm

AWESOME...nuff said :D :D :D :D
Hunt for thunder chickens for months at a time...you know that's right

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion