Federal Blend

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
PDaugherty

Federal Blend

Postby PDaugherty » June 11th, 2012, 11:30 am

Just curious to see what everyones expectations are from the new Federal Blend that is coming out. Do you think it can compete with the HEVI Mag-Blend in performance and cost or do you think HEVI will continue to maintain the lead?

Cut N Run

Re: Federal Blend

Postby Cut N Run » June 11th, 2012, 1:24 pm

First, welcome to the forum. I don't know enough about Federal Blend to offer comment at this point. If they plan to use that flite control wad, I doubt I'll try them because I could not get a flite control wad to perform as advertized through 4 different chokes in my turkey gun. I tried the Hevi Magnum Blend and found that it did not perform as well as straight Hevi #6s or #7s through my gun. Until I find something better, I'll be shooting what works best.

I liked the way Federal ammo worked on turkeys and ducks, but the flite control wad forced me to switch brands.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

wingseeker

Postby wingseeker » September 10th, 2012, 4:02 pm

I think that the Magnum Blend shells from HeviShot are far and away the most impressive turkey load
that I have ever tried. They really pattern well and their velocity is lethal in my view.

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » September 10th, 2012, 7:21 pm

I'd like to welcome you to T&TH as well. We're glad you're here.

I shoot a lot of Hevi-13 shotshells for hunting, in practice and in still target shooting competition. I normally shoot 12 gauge 3" Hevi-13 "Bronze" shells with 2 oz. of #6 shot I also shoot the 20 gauge 3" shells with 1.25 oz. of #6 shot. I've also shot the #7 shot versons of those same shells and I've shot the 12 gauge 3" Magnum Blend shells.

I just can't find a more consistent shotshell on the market today than Environ-Metal's Hevi-Shot brand of shells.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

hawglips

Postby hawglips » September 28th, 2012, 8:30 am

wingseeker wrote:I think that the Magnum Blend shells from HeviShot are far and away the most impressive turkey load
that I have ever tried. They really pattern well and their velocity is lethal in my view.

In order for the #7s in Hevi-13 to equal the pellet-for-pellet lethality (penetration energy) of Federal HWT #7s downrange, they'd have to be going 1665 fps. The #5s in Hevi-13 Magnum Blend (at 1200fps) are roughly equivalent to the #7s in Federal HWT (at 1100 fps) in penetration energy.

IMO, if Federal would ditch that flite control wad, and offer 7-1/2s in their HWT shot, they'd blow everybody else away by a far margin.

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » September 29th, 2012, 7:56 am

PDaugherty wrote:Just curious to see what everyones expectations are from the new Federal Blend that is coming out. Do you think it can compete with the HEVI Mag-Blend in performance and cost or do you think HEVI will continue to maintain the lead?

I contacted ATK/Federal directly and the reply from the shotshell manager was, in part, as follows:

"Clark,
The only blended loads we are offering in 2013 are our BlackCloud and PrairieStorm waterfowl and upland products."
Mike"

Thanks,
Clark

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » September 29th, 2012, 11:44 am

If your shooting Feds w/flite control wads through an after market choke, they need to a Black Cloud approved choke in order for those shells to pattern effectively. I've shot the flite controled wads for years and have had very good luck with them patterning through a non-ported choke.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Dixie Belle

Postby Dixie Belle » September 29th, 2012, 7:47 pm

I just replaced my 12 ga. XXF extended-ported lead shot choke with a heavy-shot SS extended non-ported super full choke (exit diameter .665"). I am anxious to see how it patterns with both the heavy-shot blend and with the Federal Mag-Shock #6's with flitecontrol wads. How about it Clark, any info for me up front on tests you have run?
I know this isn't actually a Fed. Blend question, but thanks for any input in advance of patterning.
Ted
Dixie Belle Handcrafted Turkey Calls
NWTF award winning calls
Home of the "REBEL YELPER"
Remember "The shade comes free with the tree"

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » September 30th, 2012, 2:59 pm

Dixie Belle wrote:I just replaced my 12 ga. XXF extended-ported lead shot choke with a heavy-shot SS extended non-ported super full choke (exit diameter .665"). I am anxious to see how it patterns with both the heavy-shot blend and with the Federal Mag-Shock #6's with flitecontrol wads. How about it Clark, any info for me up front on tests you have run?
I know this isn't actually a Fed. Blend question, but thanks for any input in advance of patterning.
Ted

Hey Ted,

The Flitecontrol wad that is used in the Federal lead loads is different from the Flitecontrol wad that they use in the Heavyweight shot loads and it's more forgiving. The "ideal" exit diameter is .670 and again idealy, it should have 1.3" of parallel section leading up to that e.d. a muzzle that is crowned and not slotted can also make a difference. (I have however seen some guns that prefer chokes as tight as .650 with the Flitecontrol wad shells. Internal geometry seems to be more inportant than jsut the e.d. as does the muzzle design.)

The #7 shot Heavyweight shell is also more forgiving than the #6 shot shell. I don't know which brand of choke you're using so I can't tell you anything about the internal geometry of it of course.

If I were getting ready to evaluate those shells through a new choke, as you are, I'd deep clean everything and then fire at least 5 rounds of the lead shells at big paper, without cleaning between shots. I'd clean the bore and choke very well with solvent, brush, patches, etc. and repeat the process with the Heavyweight shells, again without cleaning between shots.

The Flitecontrol wad can be tempremental and responds at times to a slightly fouled bore and often yields its best patterns on the 4th or 5th shots. At other times it likes a clean bore. By starting clean and then allowing the bore/choke to foul, you can find out which works best in your gun. If you clean between shots, you'll never know.

It can be a "challenging" shell to pattern. I'll be interested to hear your results.

Thanks,
Clark

Return to Shooting