M2 patterns, chokes, loads - Hevi advice

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
sputterbug

M2 patterns, chokes, loads - Hevi advice

Postby sputterbug » February 20th, 2009, 11:41 am

I want to say a note of thanks to Clark for helping me out some much last year before turkey season, both on forums and in e-mail.  I'm no patterning expert, but my gun shoots decent thanks to the help from Clark and others. 

I shoot a 26" barrel Benelli M2 with a Truglo Strut Stopper Xtreme and recently patterned about 30 shots of various loads and could use some feedback, maybe 'cause I like to tinker.  I also got a great deal on a Pure Gold choke that's on the way, and I'm wanting to try some Hevishot.  Any advice on what load of Hevishot may work best?  Thinking of maybe the 3", 1 5/8oz #5?  Or maybe a particular Win XR would be good?  I suppose it's a "loaded" question and every combo is different, just looking for one or two to try.

BTW, my patterning was not extensive as only two shots per load were tried, but I had a ton of shell combos to try plus an AnglePort .650 choke that I already had (it didn't do quite as well as the SSX on most shells).  Like last year, my best lead shell is the Win Supreme HV #6 1 3/4oz (black shell).  At 40 yards on an HS Strut turkey head I got hits of 52 and 39 in the head/neck.  The Win Supreme XX #6 2oz (red shell) and Federal #6 did ok with an avg of mid 30's, but so did the Win SuperX #5 1 7/8oz (gray box) with a 33.5 avg.  I cleaned the barrel before testing and did a fuzzy rod after every 2 shots.  I'm sure my scores will improve once I tweak the Williams Fire Sights as I haven't put that to the 30" paper yet.

If it helps anyone else, shells that didn't fare so well for me with this SSX/M2 combo were the Remington Nitro #6, the Kent Diamondshot #5, the Win Supreme XX #5, and Win SuperX #4, all low to mid 20's for average.

I realize I have to start over if trying the Pure Gold, but any advice is welcome!

allaboutshooting

RE: M2 patterns, chokes, loads - Hevi advice

Postby allaboutshooting » February 20th, 2009, 6:15 pm

I'm happy that I could be of some help. I appreciate the kind words.

I'm sure you'll like the Pure Gold choke as well. I'd recommend the 3" Hevi-13 shotshell with 2 oz. of $6 shot. It will pattern better than the 1 5/8 load in most guns and with most chokes.

The 3" Winchester Xtended Range Hi-Density shell with 1.75 oz. of #6 shot is also a great load. Either will work well with your SSX and the Pure Gold.

Please let me know if I can help.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

sputterbug

Postby sputterbug » February 21st, 2009, 7:16 am

Thanks, Clark.  Appreciate the recommendations.  I'll probably give those a try.

sputterbug

Postby sputterbug » February 21st, 2009, 7:28 am

I get your point, but like I said that session wasn't very extensive.  I was sharing the range with 3 shooters with hi-powered rifles and changing turkey targets was faster.  I built two breakdown pattern boards with 3' x 3' woven fence between two upright 2' x 4's with a box at the bottom with a roll of builder's paper.  Pretty portable in the pickup.  Works pretty slick but takes longer to change the station.  I did get a chance to take 3 shots on the 36" paper at a 10" circle. 

On the upside, one of the rifle shooters had taken his first bird at the WMA we were at years ago.  He was nice enough to give me some tips.

Thanks for the advice on chokes...

Return to Shooting