Mossberg 500 in 20 Gauge

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
allaboutshooting

Mossberg 500 in 20 Gauge

Postby allaboutshooting » August 9th, 2012, 10:32 pm

I've been working with a little Mossberg 500 in 20 gauge for the past few months and have become more and more impressed with it the more I shoot it.

I picked a field model with matte finish, a 26" barrel and black synthetic stock. I have replaced the stock with an ATI AKITA Adjustable Hunting Stock and I've installed a TRUGLO Maxus Hunter Long Eye Relief scope. I've been shooting the SSX 20 gauge turkey choke with a .550 exit diameter and 3" Hevi-13 turkey loads with 1.25 oz. of #6 shot.

Since this is a new gun, I want to put a couple hundred rounds down range and let everything wear-in. I really like what I'm seeing so far. The patterns are quite good, even and dense and should improve with use.

I bought this gun to use primarily in still target shooting competition but it would also make an excellent turkey gun and with an improved cylinder choke tube, a good deer slug gun.

It's a lot of gun for the money.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

allaboutshooting

Re: Mossberg 500 in 20 Gauge

Postby allaboutshooting » August 10th, 2012, 1:09 pm

This is really a very nice little gun. It's tight and the barrel is as shiny as any I've seen in production guns. The trigger is a bit heavy but nothing that won't work.

After about 50 rounds of Hevi-13 through the barrel and choke, I start to see more even and dense patterns. I shoot a lot of those shells both in practice and in competition and look at the patterns very closely.

I suspect that a lot of that is in the choke tube and some in the barrel itself. Actions always become smoother of course with some wear.

This gun is already patterning better and I suspect that I'll see additional improvement as I shoot it over the next several months.

Thanks,
Clark

grizzly

Postby grizzly » August 10th, 2012, 5:11 pm

CHEAPLY MADE !!i been shooting mossbergs 500 for alot of years . been using a mossberg 20 batam for the last 6 to hunt turkeys and with a slug barrel it shots just like a rifle at 80 yards . i'll take it over a higher priced gun of any make it's never failed me as long as i do my part...wayne

hawglips

Postby hawglips » September 5th, 2012, 8:20 am

Clark, how is the POA/POI with that gun?

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » September 5th, 2012, 3:56 pm

hawglips wrote:Clark, how is the POA/POI with that gun?

It's as good as any gun I've ever shot. The windage is perfect at 40 yards and I was able to easily adjust the elevation to POA with the barrel nut. I put a scope on it and it was the easiest installation and sight-in that I've had.

The action has broken-in very well and the trigger pull is also very good.

It's really quite a good gun.

Thanks,
Clark

hawglips

Postby hawglips » September 6th, 2012, 12:22 pm

I have a buddy that needed to sell a gun, a Mossberg Mav 88 20 ga, and I bought it from him. It appears to be a 500 with a different safety. If it shoots well, I may take it to the turkey woods some.

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » September 7th, 2012, 5:21 pm

hawglips wrote:I have a buddy that needed to sell a gun, a Mossberg Mav 88 20 ga, and I bought it from him. It appears to be a 500 with a different safety. If it shoots well, I may take it to the turkey woods some.

I have no experience with those guns but I understand that some parts are interchangeable with the 500s.

Thanks,
Clark

grizzly

Postby grizzly » September 8th, 2012, 3:18 am

i bought my son a Mav 88 some years ago as you have notice the safety is next to the tigger. 500 stocks and barrels will interchange . forearms will not . my son has used this gun to take deer , turkey and small game . it has been a good and realable gun for the last ten years with no problems...wayne

Mossberg835

Postby Mossberg835 » September 8th, 2012, 1:48 pm

Can't go wrong with a mossberg grizz. I have mossberg 535 that I use for deer and turkeys. I have a rifled slug barrel with a bushnell scope on it that I just switch out with the turkey barrel. It's pretty cool that I have one gun that I can use for deer and turkeys :D
Hunt for thunder chickens for months at a time...you know that's right

Mossberg835

Postby Mossberg835 » September 8th, 2012, 7:06 pm

Can't go wrong with a mossberg grizz. I have mossberg 535 that I use for deer and turkeys. I have a rifled slug barrel with a bushnell scope on it that I just switch out with the turkey barrel. It's pretty cool that I have one gun that I can use for deer and turkeys :D
Hunt for thunder chickens for months at a time...you know that's right

Next

Return to Shooting