Fall Drawing Completed with 58,979 Leftover

WillowRidgeCalls

Re: Fall Drawing Completed with 58,979 Leftover

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » September 3rd, 2012, 11:15 am

Tags are really selling slow this year, I'm not sure if any unit will sell out before the start of the season? I think they should go to the two tag limit at the draw? It will be interesting to see what changes they come up with for the fall or spring seasons?
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » September 4th, 2012, 9:13 am

I spent all day Friday with WI top wildlife biologists listening to them discuss WI turkey management and will be posting some of the ideas they kicked around when I have time to write a coherent post. There is a lot of data to sort through.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

putt

Postby putt » September 4th, 2012, 8:53 pm

putt wrote:Good to see you back Putt. I had a conversation about your spring draw situation with the head Turkey Dude, (he laughs when I call him that.) He says you need to apply for only one time period and zone, then if you are not drawn you will get a preference point for the next year which assures you will get drawn for exactly the time and zone you want. If an application has alternative choices and gets drawn no preference point is awarded.

I appreciate your checking on that for me Charlie.

I considered that 1-period strategy before last spring's draw, & in fact if I had used consistently it for the last 5 years I'd have been better off (instead of drawing 5th, 5th, 5th, 4th I'd have gone None, 1st, None, 1st ... then likely picked up the 5th period in the 2nd draws ). But when it came down to it I couldn't put down just one period knowing that I'd almost cetainly get nothing in the first draw that year. Too much living in the present I guess.

But I will strongly consider the strategy this year when I submit for the 2013 spring. I'll look again into the rear-view mirror before deciding.

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » September 21st, 2012, 10:02 am

1. sold...2,313___tags left..18,244
2. sold...4,816___tags left..0
3. sold...2,899___tags left..18,947
4. sold...1,631___tags left..9,245
5. sold... 884____tags left..0
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott