First Turkey Mount

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
kygobbler

First Turkey Mount

Postby kygobbler » September 1st, 2012, 11:02 pm

Back in May I took my cousin turkey hunting for her first time and boy did she nail a limbhanger. The gobbler weighed 20 lbs, had a 11.5" beard, and spurs were 1 11/16" and 1 5/16". The girl was on cloud nine just happy that she hit her target and not realizing what a trophy she actually killed. I told her that I would do a cape mount for her that way she could always remember it. I finally got done with it and took it over to her. Seeing the look on her face was priceless and is what makes hunting so pleasureable. I asked her if we was going again in the spring and she didnt hesitate to answer with a big yes and told me that she has a spot on her wall for her next turkey. I hope she does for many years to come.

kailee's first gobbler.jpg
kailee's first gobbler.jpg (34.69 KiB) Viewed 544 times

kailee's turkey mount.jpg
kailee's turkey mount.jpg (116.14 KiB) Viewed 544 times

kailee's mount.jpg
kailee's mount.jpg (56.23 KiB) Viewed 544 times
Is it turkey season yet?

Mossberg835

Re: First Turkey Mount

Postby Mossberg835 » September 1st, 2012, 11:22 pm

man, thats freaking awesome!!!!!!!! I love that you take time to get your relatives into the woods, especially seeing they are younger, we need more people like that :D My father and I guided my younger brother Jed to his first turkey on his 1st spring hunt ever and he loves it. My little sister is only 8 but already shes talking about wanting to "shoot a big old buck" and "shooting a big turkey." My oldest brother took her bowhunting last year and she loved it and on top of it all she got to see a bunch of deer. I love the cape you did, pretty sweet. I'm gonna be mounting my first ever spring gobbler that i shot this past spring as i am going to college to get my taxidermy certificate and cant wait till it is on the wall. once again though, i love that you are taking time to take your relatives out, keep up the good work. :D :D :D :D :D
Hunt for thunder chickens for months at a time...you know that's right

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » September 2nd, 2012, 4:01 am

That grin is why we do what we do for them. Great looking mount !!! ;)
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » September 2nd, 2012, 7:09 am

Nice job on the cape mount. That bird had some serious hooks and the beard is a paintbrush. Congratulations to both of you. I'll bet she wants to get back into the woods with past success like that. Good luck next time you go.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » September 2nd, 2012, 3:30 pm

Beautiful bird for a pretty excited girl and a great way to start. Congratulations.
Very nice mount all the trophy parts tastefully displayed.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

dewey

Postby dewey » September 2nd, 2012, 8:53 pm

Great looking mount. Congratulations to her for harvesting the trophy and to you for making it look awesome.

Dewey
Last edited by dewey on September 2nd, 2012, 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » September 2nd, 2012, 9:57 pm

Thanks guys. Its only the third or fourth cape I've done and the first mount I've done also. Im takeing her brother hunting this fall at my honey hole. Two times last week I counted over 30 turkeys, all hens and poults, so hopefully I will have another one to do in a couple of months.
Is it turkey season yet?

Dixie Belle

Postby Dixie Belle » September 7th, 2012, 12:02 pm

Great job on the mount. Your a super guy to help your younger relatives get started in a love for the outdoors and hunting. Keep up the mentoring, they will remember you their whole life for it.
Good hunting this fall,
Ted
Dixie Belle Handcrafted Turkey Calls
NWTF award winning calls
Home of the "REBEL YELPER"
Remember "The shade comes free with the tree"

ylpnfol

Postby ylpnfol » September 11th, 2012, 7:58 am

thats a nice mount, and what looks to be one happy camper.....you do good work young man.....congratulations and keep it up
David

You never know, unless you go

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion