Florida WMA

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
Mossberg835

Florida WMA

Postby Mossberg835 » September 1st, 2012, 11:06 pm

Ive always wanted to hunt Osceolas, as i suspect almost any turkey addict has. I have recently started talking to a cousin of mine who i have not seen or heard from in a while and come to find out she had moved to florida. She wants me to come visit sometime and i started thinking that would be a good chance to kill 2 birds with 1 stone. I started searching for public hunting land near where she lives (Port Orange in Volusia county) and found the Dexter/Mary unit of the Lake George WMA. I was just wondering whether any one on here has hunted there or around that area or know somebody that has and if it was any good or not. Obviously public land hunting is not gonna be a cakewalk, but still, some public lands are made better than others. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated and welcomed. :) :) :)
Hunt for thunder chickens for months at a time...you know that's right

BigGobbler

Re: Florida WMA

Postby BigGobbler » September 2nd, 2012, 1:00 am

That wma is a good area but its a quota draw hunt and its hard to draw a permit. apps will be coming out soon for the spring turkey hunts. The Ocala wma and lake delancy wma are good also they are big and have lots of birds and there is always leftover quota permits that you can get for them.

Mossberg835

Postby Mossberg835 » September 3rd, 2012, 12:08 am

Thanks for the info man. How close are those other two areas you mentioned to Port Orange?? If i went to florida it would be a dual trip to visit my cousin and do some hunting and she lives in Port Orange. If they were at all within driving range that would save me $ from not having to stay in a hotel or motel. I could always just visit with her and then just go spend a few days hunting but id rather just do everything at once.

BigGobbler

Postby BigGobbler » September 3rd, 2012, 6:06 pm

They are all in the Ocala wma system area and its about 90min drive from port orange.lots of big farms with lots of turkeys.If you are sure you are going to hunt around that area apply for permits..The permit allows a hunting buddy to go along on the hunt so if you get drawn I can take you to some spots if you want.

Mossberg835

Postby Mossberg835 » September 3rd, 2012, 7:06 pm

Sweet man. 90 minutes wouldn't be too far of a drive. i don't think i will be going down this spring but most likely next spring since i will be out of college. That would be great to be able to go with somebody that knows the area as ive always wanted to hunt in florida.

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion