Looking good

Discuss turkey hunting's "second season" here
ylpnfol

Looking good

Postby ylpnfol » August 21st, 2012, 5:22 pm

Went up to my little piece of the rock today to work on my little food plot, after finishing up, i went for a walk, found a roosting spot pretty much in the middle of the property, looked like a family flock, large and small droppings everywhere, NICE, then we had ANOTHER big storm roll thru this afternoon, it tore a big branch out of a white oak, which was covered in acorns....2 years ago we had a good white oak crop, and the birds were around my place all fall, so things are looking good for the upcoming seasons, deer and turkey wise....i just wish the dang heavy storms would stop, had a tree come down on the house 2 years ago, and i get yancy now whenever they start to dance around.....
Unofficial mascot for Team 2
Springtime Assassins

kygobbler

Re: Looking good

Postby kygobbler » August 21st, 2012, 9:12 pm

David glad to hear that you have already found a good little honey hole for this fall. I went over to a small farm that I can hunt on the other day. Before I got in the woods the women that lives across the road just happen to be pulling up. I decided to talk to her for a little while since the only time we talk is during hunting season. She was telling me that she and her husband haven't seen any deer or turkey in a long time. She was telling me that the coyote population has gotten real bad and out of control. She was also telling me that the seed ticks are all over the place bad.

Now seed tick might not be the correct name for these little parasites, to put nicely, but they are black and make a deer tick look like a dog tick in comparison to size. After we got done talking I decided I would just ease in the woods just enough to see if I could see any tree rats running around and decide if I would go hunting in the morning. I didn't see anything and went home, which is only about 2 miles, and boys let me tell you I couldn't get home fast enough. Those beep beep seed ticks were all over my legs and biting the crap out of me. I don't believe Im going to go hunting over there until very late in the season when hopefully everything dies out.

Treerooster

Postby Treerooster » August 21st, 2012, 10:12 pm

Makes the heart beat a bit faster...eh? :D

Always feels good when things are looking up for the coming season.
As far as this turkey thing......I know enough...to know enough...that I don't know enough

ylpnfol

Postby ylpnfol » August 22nd, 2012, 7:18 am

Those beep beep seed ticks were all over my legs and biting the crap out of me. I don't believe Im going to go hunting over there until very late in the season when hopefully everything dies out.[/quote]

Deet, my friend, deet.....i've been in those shoes before, i don't think about going in the woods this time of year w/out spraying down first.....hope you got 'em all, they'll move around on ya and bite ya til you do.....yeah, turkeyslayer, it does feel good to have a promising place to hunt, and to own it is extra special....only time will tell if it all comes together
Unofficial mascot for Team 2
Springtime Assassins

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » August 28th, 2012, 8:04 am

Glad to hear the good news hope you have some great fall hunts.

The only thing I have found to reliably repel ticks is permethrin treated clothing. After having 7 flareups of Lyme Disease I finally learned prevention is the best tactic and that deet does not repel WI or MN ticks at all.
Good hunting.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » August 28th, 2012, 9:05 am

+1 on the permethrin. Didn't have a tick on me all spring while wearing my treated cloths. My hunting buddies were a different story.....
If you don't want to treat your clothing yourself you could always by a base layer of that elimitick stuff. Same active ingredient, and is supposed to last for the life of the garment. That reminds me, time to retreat my gear for fall season soon!

Treerooster

Postby Treerooster » August 28th, 2012, 9:09 am

charlie elk wrote:Glad to hear the good news hope you have some great fall hunts.

The only thing I have found to reliably repel ticks is permethrin treated clothing. After having 7 flareups of Lyme Disease I finally learned prevention is the best tactic and that deet does not repel WI or MN ticks at all.
Good hunting.

I agree. Permethrin treated clothing is the way to go.

Also frost and cool weather does not get rid of ticks. As soon as the day warms up past around 40 degrees they will be active again. When the true cold winter sets in, only then can you relax about ticks.
As far as this turkey thing......I know enough...to know enough...that I don't know enough

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » August 30th, 2012, 2:45 am

I have never used that Permethrin and it sounds like some bad stuff. If I was to use that stuff for some of the kids clothes would it be safe for them?

Went to my honey hole Wednesday evening to do some stuff and as soon as I got on the gravel road there was 2 hens and 6 does in sight. The 2 hens went back to the field and I eased up in the truck and saw 3 more hens and no poults. :evil: I was thinking that these hens have to die for not producing. Then I looked down the field some more and turkeys were running every where. I counted 30 in all and I know I didnt count all of them. I cant wait till October 27th.

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » August 30th, 2012, 8:40 am

kygobbler wrote:I have never used that Permethrin and it sounds like some bad stuff. If I was to use that stuff for some of the kids clothes would it be safe for them?

Yes it is safe for kids too. Just make sure the clothing treated with the permethrin mix has completely dried before wearing. The U.S. Military is now issuing uniforms that have been factory treated with permethrin, according to reports this treatment will last the lifetime of the uniform. Probably will not be long before we'll be able to buy treated hunting clothes.

I feel your pain Oct 27 is a long ways away. :cry:
WI starts Sept 15 :D
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

Chief Many Longbeards

Postby Chief Many Longbeards » August 31st, 2012, 7:20 am

Probably will not be long before we'll be able to buy treated hunting clothes.

where you been hidin, charlie, in the turkey woods? :lol:
GameHide came out with ElimiTick treated camo a couple years ago.
a little pricey - 70-80 bucks apiece for pants and shirt - but probably worth it depending on how bad the ticks are where you hunt.

Next

Return to Fall Hunting