What are your 2013 hunt plans?

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
dewey

What are your 2013 hunt plans?

Postby dewey » August 23rd, 2012, 11:25 am

Since we are in the dog days of summer I thought it would be interesting to hear what everyone has planned for the 2013 spring? Where are you going? How many days will you be out hunting? How many tags are you going to get in each state and how many turkeys are you hoping to bring home?

The first part of my 2013 plans include a trip to the Black Hills of SD, or NW NE to hunt Merriams. I plan to go out there with a college friend of mine and possibly some other folks. I plan to be out there in mid to late April and hopefully hunt for about 5 days. I would really like to stay in a tent like Treerooster does as that style of hunting looks awesome to me. I would be extremely happy if I could manage to harvest a Merriam but if I don't it will still be a great trip/

The second part of my 2013 spring turkey hunting plan will be my yearly trip to North central MN to hunt Easterns with some friends and family. This has become an area that I am very comfortable with and it is always a great time weather we get turkeys or not. I usually do pretty well in this area since I know it pretty well but you never know for sure. Hopefully harvest one Eastern.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

eggshell

Re: What are your 2013 hunt plans?

Postby eggshell » August 23rd, 2012, 11:45 am

Hunting Kentucky and Ohio are in my plans for certain and My buddy and I are discussing a trip to South Dakota. The South Dakota trip is uncertain, but we are hopeful. He has friends with a private ranch there and a fair population of Merriams, so that makes it a nice trip and cheaper with free lodging and private ground to hunt. I'd like to drift down into Nebraska maybe if we were already that close. However, since I've picked up a part time job I'm unsure how things will work out. The job will help towards paying for some hunting hopefully.

One of these days I'd like to get up and hunt with you Wisconsin fellers, perhaps for a fall hunt.
Bust em, Bag em, thank HIm

fallhunt

Postby fallhunt » August 23rd, 2012, 11:54 am

Bowhunt the early season in NE. then KS. If MO. has a early archery hunt go there and then back home to IL. to hunt more public ground that is archery only. In the fall I start off in MO. then IL.during archery season and end it in KS. and NE. I mix gun hunts into the fall in MO. and IL.

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » August 24th, 2012, 1:18 pm

The only time I get long periods of away from work is in winter, so it looks like I'll be hunting hard in North Carolina this year unless something changes. Two tags is it and we have no Fall season. I'm O.K. with that too.

I have managed to obtain a few new places to hunt. The biggest property belongs to an old friend who owns just over 600 acres. A few smaller pieces of land have turkeys but are not as big and are more likely to get neighboring pressure. I also spoke with a guy who leases 1,200 acres about 20 miles away from me. He leases it with two other guys and they only care about deer hunting there. I will try my best to get access to turkey hunt there because that land is loaded with turkeys. They talk of seeing flocks of 50-60 birds at a time from their deer stands. You just can't have that number of turkeys around here without having plenty of big gobblers too.

I am also considering leasing the land that borders the tree farm I used to have rights to hunt. I'm not going to set up right on the property line near one of my favorite places to hunt there (which that land owner took over from me), but I won't be far from it.

*yes, I am bitter about busting my @$$ so hard for so long for that guy on his land and getting turned away like I did nothing*

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » August 26th, 2012, 5:50 pm

im already planing my south florida public land osceola hunt with my father & maybe brother to rap up my father & my public land grand slams it will be my 2nd time down to south florida & i cant wait that is in the plans for sure we need to try & get the osceola out of the way!!! most likely will be in florida around march 6? for 7-10 days ill try to be there so i can hunt both north & south zones & hop around to try & avoid the mass crowds of out of state hunters like my self trying to rap up a slam... ill have 2 tags but will be happy with 1 bird in the bag in FLA!!!

most likely in late march to early april i will be in nebraska to hunt the early archery season & explore some new & familiar lands with my cousin & friend... not sure wear we want to go & for what sub species yet so??maybe just try eastern NE cuz its close drive to MN so???

then i plan on heading south west to opening up the oklahoma season again around april 6 i met some nice oklahoma boys down there & we want to share another hunt again they were my kind of people down to earth after 3-5 days i will be heading north up to open up the kansas season again like last season the OK/KS trip was great tons of birds to be had!!! then after 3-5 days in kansas i plan on heading north once again to open up the nebraska season ill hunt there for 3-5 days as well i never hunted NE for opening day or any wear close we always go late in may & the turkeys are useually way pressured & acting totally different then they were on opening day plus tons of the dummy turkeys are already eat n up or in somebodys freezer so ill try the opening day & see how that treats me??? the OK/KS hunts will be for rio grandes & the nebraska hunt im not sure wear i will hunt NE had major other hunter probs in my tradional hunting grounds & 2-3 mags & people on-line & 2-3 T.V. shows have put the area i want to hunt on blast horrible lately so i think i will hunt hybrids or mostly merriams in a different area then wear i useally hunt in NE & try to find a region that gets hit less hard cuzz out west its way to crazy to chase merriams for me & my father at least!!!

then comes my home state of MN & my eastern sub species hunts if i draw a tag in mid-late april that is??? if not no worrys ill be hit n up our cheese land friends across the mississippi river in wisconsin for some bluff country easterns in early may sometime & im really thinking of heading to ILL & or MO if i dont draw a MN tag? i would start south in ILL or MO & work my way back home stop n in WI to hunt wear i did good last season so im still up in the air about that???

then i most likely will head out west to SD/WY or NE to try & rap up my single season slam with a true pure breed merriams??? i will be applying for a SD prairie unit tag i think so if i get that tag & would have the time i may just hunt 2 seperate areas in SD a prairie unit & black hills unit??? if no prairie unit tag gets drawn then i may have to add a state WY or NE??? i love hunting turkeys in nebraska i just hate all the publicity & hunter pressure it has been reciveing lately not the hole state either just the exact region & town & county i love to hunt so i may be stretching my legs & finding merriams else wear in the corn huskers state but i will be there in 2013

for the most part thats what i have planed already & things can change but thats the basic outline of my 2013 turkey season ive been planing this since the ride home from my last spring turkey hunt last season in NE lol had about 8 hrs to think on it so thats what i came up with...

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » August 26th, 2012, 7:02 pm

Planning on starting the season off in mid April down in SE Minnesota. Then will probably pick up a tag or two over in WI for late April/early May. After that the annual trip to the Black Hills in the second or third week of May, then maybe pick up a last minute tag in WI to close out the season.

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » August 27th, 2012, 12:19 am

I tip my hat to all you guys that are fortunate to be able to go to different places and hunt all the species of turkeys. I guess I will stay in my neck of the woods and get my 2 bird limit. The real challenge for me this coming spring will be for me to get 7 of my young cousins a bird. Last year I took four of them out, 3 of them was the first time, the two girls were successfull but the two boys were not. Yes, that did lead to a bunch of heckaling but they had a good time and hopefully this spring the boys will be able to have bragging rights.

dewey

Postby dewey » August 27th, 2012, 1:51 pm

kygobbler wrote:The real challenge for me this coming spring will be for me to get 7 of my young cousins a bird. Last year I took four of them out, 3 of them was the first time, the two girls were successfull but the two boys were not. Yes, that did lead to a bunch of heckaling but they had a good time and hopefully this spring the boys will be able to have bragging rights.

That is a great thing you are going for your nieces and nephews! Good luck to you on your hunts and your guiding of the next generation of hunters.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

Mossberg835

Postby Mossberg835 » August 28th, 2012, 12:41 am

Well, hopefully i can find somebody who shares my passion for turkey hunting and would want to go on some out of states hunts. id like to hit up some of the early opening southern states during my spring break which is in late march. If not then i guess i will just be hunting my traditional NY Easterns. I might be getting permission to some great property though so that would be cool.
Hunt for thunder chickens for months at a time...you know that's right

ylpnfol

Postby ylpnfol » August 28th, 2012, 8:22 am

i'll just hunt my normal places around here, i would imagine, i have discussed a s. dakota trip w/ my bro in law [ he's done it before ], to try for a merriams, the only other subspecies i'd really like to pursue....one never knows what the future has in store

every gun makes its own tune.....

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion