Conclusion: Farview

In this interactive feature, Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20+ years of turkey hunting, asking "What would you do?"
Brian Lovett

Postby Brian Lovett » August 22nd, 2012, 10:23 am

In "Decision Time," Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20-plus years hunting turkeys. Each hinges on a critical decision. Post what choice you would have made, and then see how things actually turned out.

To me, it made no sense to plot out a strategic approach and then abandon it. We were still in a great spot, and we knew turkeys liked to visit the area throughout the day. Further, a bird that suddenly goes quiet is often coming, so I was going to sit for at least another hour or so. When my buddy turned and shrugged his shoulders at me, I motioned for him to settle down and wait for a while.

After about 15 minutes, I glanced to my right to see the high-point bird slinking down a fence line toward our setup. He'd been coming the entire time, albeit slowly, and was only about 100 yards from the gun barrel.

That's about as close as I got to feeling smug that morning. Ten seconds after I spied the sneaking longbeard, a terrified deer blasted past our setup, vaulted the fence and tore off for parts unknown. Then two dogs burst on the scene, hot on the trail of the whitetail. I looked up to see the high-point bird's white head bobbing away at a furious pace.

Huh. Right decision, bad outcome. That's turkey hunting. Ain't it great?

What decision did you make?

Click here to return to the scenario.

This might be the best hunting knife we've seen in quite a while. Check it out!

Gobblerman

Re: Conclusion: Farview

Postby Gobblerman » August 27th, 2012, 9:02 am

Murphy's Law on display at it's finest! :D

Return to Decision Time