Kids & Fall Turkeys Go Together

Discuss turkey hunting's "second season" here
charlie elk

Kids & Fall Turkeys Go Together

Postby charlie elk » August 26th, 2012, 3:40 pm

Yesterday while hiking along an old logging trail listening to the chatter of 2 of my grand kids and the splash of my grandson's thrown rocks in the bubbling creek below I saw the darting movement of what could only be a turkey up ahead of us. I commanded turkey dog Vic into sneak mode, getting the kids to quiet down was no small feat but they did on the promise of seeing a wild turkey.
We reached the 100 yards to where the turkey had disappeared less than totally stealthy. The quivering of Vic's legs and tail certainly indicated the turkey was near, the electricity of excitement crackled through the air between the kids and dog. I whispered to my grandson tell Vic to "Get em up Vic; TURKEY!" Vic launched charging uphill, but I had seen the turkey go down towards the creek. The sudden chain cackling, putting and large wings beats certainly proved Vic knew more than me at that moment. He busted a big flock; turkeys ran by us, flew overhead and some landed in trees all around us; the kid's eyes bulged with excitement as they gleefully giggled in delight.
Then it was quiet even the creek seemed to stop for a moment, the kid's mouths were agape with no sounds and their wide eyes darting around to catch another glimpse of a turkey.
Breaking the silence in a trembling whisper my grandson says "what now grandpa?"
I told him to watch and listen this is what grandpa does when hunting-"kee, kee, yelp, yelp, yelp yelp"
Turkey talk exploded everywhere around us, we stayed and listened for about half hour as the turkeys regrouped.
My 9 year old grandson begged me to take him hunting with me this fall, he even promised to carry the turkey for me; of course I readily agreed to take them both.
I have no doubt kids, fall turkeys and a turkey dog go together.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

Gopherlongbeards

Re: Kids & Fall Turkeys Go Together

Postby Gopherlongbeards » August 26th, 2012, 7:17 pm

Can't think of anyone better to introduce them to the turkey woods than their turkey chasin' grandpa. Sounds like you'll have a great fall Charlie :)

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » August 26th, 2012, 10:53 pm

Great story Charlie and that is a sure fire way to get the kids excited about going. I hope you and the grand kids have fun this fall and hopefully luck up and kill some birds.

Something I just thought of, do you always carry a call in the woods with you or did you just happen to have a couple of straws from the kid drinks. :lol:

ylpnfol

Postby ylpnfol » August 27th, 2012, 8:26 am

nice story gramps, sounds like some good company this fall....good luck to you all

every gun makes its own tune.....

Treerooster

Postby Treerooster » August 27th, 2012, 8:48 am

Fun stuff!

But "Dogs" needs to be in that title too. ;)
As far as this turkey thing......I know enough...to know enough...that I don't know enough

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » August 27th, 2012, 9:01 am

kygobbler wrote:Something I just thought of, do you always carry a call in the woods with you or did you just happen to have a couple of straws from the kid drinks. :lol:

Mostly yes particularly this time of year a wingbone is hanging around my neck. In those instances when I am caught without a call a pen barrel or I can do some calls by natural voice. On this day a wingbone was present. The other entertaining thing was when the grand kids tried the wingbone themselves. Not much turkey came out it. :lol:

Anyone else taking kids out turkey hunting this fall?
Being that kids have attention spans of a gnat fall turkeys have a lot to offer, a lot moving, walking, pandemonium on the breakup and lots of calling for the regroup.
It's all good.

Thanks for the words of encouragement everyone and good hunting.
later,
charlie

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » August 27th, 2012, 9:05 am

Treerooster wrote:But "Dogs" needs to be in that title too. ;)

Your right but the system won't let me edit the title. He is pictured in my avatar leading me though. :D
later,
charlie

Return to Fall Hunting