Witty-Wha-Too Call

Share information about your calls and calling methods!
WillowRidgeCalls

Witty-Wha-Too Call

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » August 21st, 2012, 9:07 am

Is there anybody using this call for a closer call, in spring or fall hunts?

http://www.turkeycountrymagazine.com/Me ... ure_7.html
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Duke0002

Re: Witty-Wha-Too Call

Postby Duke0002 » August 21st, 2012, 10:03 am

I've done it in practice, but not on a call. Pucker your lips and use your tongue to quickly push air back and forth across your lips. Kind of like imitating a mourning dove "coo," but after the "coo" pull air back into you. Haven't used it hunting.

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » August 21st, 2012, 1:43 pm

Sounds like low volume turkey jive talk. a cluck or 2 here a purr there more clucks...overlay some peeps.
I love the names created for calls. Guess you could say we speak in tongues. :lol:
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

Treerooster

Postby Treerooster » August 21st, 2012, 4:32 pm

I just call that soft clucks & purrs with some whines. I don't think his whines sound real good.

I have heard turkeys do that, but very soft and I had to be within just a few yards to hear it.

I don't really use whines as I don't reproduce them well, but have used very soft clucks and purrs on a slate. I call pretty soft but louder than what I have heard hens do.
As far as this turkey thing......I know enough...to know enough...that I don't know enough

ylpnfol

Postby ylpnfol » August 22nd, 2012, 7:31 am

i'm not much of a " Whiner " either 8-) , my up close stuff is normally clucks and purrs, but thanks for posting this scott, i read the article in turkey country a while back, but never went to the website to hear it.....
Unofficial mascot for Team 2
Springtime Assassins

rsmithpa

Postby rsmithpa » August 22nd, 2012, 8:39 am

I know what the guy is saying but for me, I can not produce the call well or softly, therefore I don't use it. It is a softer call that I hear hens make when I am able to call them in first and they are looking for me. I stick with the basic calls and try not to over think about what call I am going to use. These basic calls work for me and I am happy with the results.
Full Fans, Longbeards, and Sharp Spurs

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » February 25th, 2013, 9:31 pm

I don't usually promote game calls here, especially with the number of quality custom call makers we have on the forum. But there are just some things I can't reproduce to my ear's satisfaction with a friction call. This witty-wha-too closing call is one of them. I'm quite adept at yelping and cutting on a mouth call, even got some personalized instruction from Alex Rutledge a couple years ago. But I never mastered an ultra soft purr, that sounded like a real hen, on a diaphragm either.

I picked up the Flextone Cluck n Purr today and would have to agree with Michael Waddell and their advertising that the call will be a game changer. Because of the closed nature of the call design, within minutes I was able to produce the softest whines, clucks and purrs I've ever made. The double diaphragm design allows the call to produce sweet yelps as well. There are three holes on the rubber barrel, like a flute, and by covering or uncovering the holes you can change the intensity, volume and pitch of the call. Think of it as a miniature double ended tube call inside a rubber sleeve...only 3 inches long. Flextone really did their homework on this baby. The slick pinecone design is kind retro as well.

To my ear, the perfect purrs that so long eluded me are contest quality, with all due respect to Champion caller Shane Simpson whom I heard lay down some utterly awesome soft calling in Wisconsin camp last spring. For those of us who don't have the thousands of hours it takes to master the mouth call there is finally hope.
Attachments
Cluck n Purr.jpg
Cluck n Purr.jpg (11.74 KiB) Viewed 738 times
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » February 25th, 2013, 11:33 pm

The Witty-Wha-Too call was one of the main reasons I developed the soft touch calls, even with a glass surface you can hear a whisper over top of the call when your running it. With the glass surface in it you can hit those high pitched whistles, whines, soft clucks and chattery purrs, but still keep it very soft. With a glass surface in it you would think it's way to loud, but with this design it'll play it almost too soft?
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » February 26th, 2013, 7:55 am

The more I learn about turkeys and hunting them, I'm not sure there is any such thing as too soft. In that regard there's something to be said for a call that can do both, whisper or scream depending on what you need.

The old timers, who really had to earn their birds, always said "Too long and too loud." Then a new age run and gunner evolved and said, to hell with that, really pour it on them, you've got nothing to loose. If the bird hung up because they weren't adept at finishing calls, their answer was to create a 60 yard gun or use taxidery "stuffer" decoys.

Jim Spencer's "Aggressive Conservatism" article in the March 2013 issue of T&TH hits this nail squarely on the head. In the end, there is a time and a place for everything...a time to move, a time to stay put...a time to call, and a time to shut up.

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » March 9th, 2013, 7:50 pm

*Just wanted to bump this to the top*

Has anyone else tried this Flextone Cluck n Purr? My Brother in law, who has hunted turkeys long before me, was blown away when he heard the purrs this thing can make! I pick it up and play it almost every day and just shake my head in amazement. You might think you can get great purrs from your slate call, I own a dozen of them, but they won't compare to this!

Who's gonna be the first one to thank me? Hehehe...

Next

Return to Calling