Calling...is it overrated?

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
StevePA

Calling...is it overrated?

Postby StevePA » February 19th, 2009, 4:48 am

I know from personal experience that the better one learns to call the more turkeys he will bag...Any thoughts?
turkeykiller

Turkeybuster

RE: Calling...is it overrated?

Postby Turkeybuster » February 19th, 2009, 5:05 am

Absolutely not to say that a mediocre caller cannot kill a turkey however good calling will turn the tide in many instances.
If you combine good woodsmanship with good calling this combination is hard to beat.
Taken on a average the good caller will come out on top.
TB

shaman

Postby shaman » February 19th, 2009, 5:17 am

I don't claim to be a master turkey caller, but my general feeling is that turkey calling is the most overrated part of turkey hunting.  The reason that I think it is this way is that it's the one of the few things guys like us can do from the end of Deer Season until the start of Spring Gobbler Season. 

Having year-round access to the turkeys and being out constantly among them has been the biggest factor in my success.  Second to this, I would rate learning patience.  Calling comes in a distant third. 

My youngest son is a gifted natural caller with mouth calls and friction calls.  He got that way in the span of one Winter.  He's years away from being a good turkey hunter.

My second oldest, at 16, is a mediocre caller, but he will do all right for himself. His biggest challenge will be learning patience.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

tracebusta32

Postby tracebusta32 » February 19th, 2009, 5:17 am

Most good callers sound better than those ole real live hens
Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

Ozarks Hillbilly

Postby Ozarks Hillbilly » February 19th, 2009, 5:39 am

I say patience and perseverance will bag you more Tom turkeys than fancy calling will. Woodsman ship is a big part then maybe calling after that.
These Ozark Mountains Ain't High But The Hollers Sure Are Deep

rsmithpa

Postby rsmithpa » February 19th, 2009, 6:20 am

ORIGINAL: StevePA

I know from personal experience that the better one learns to call the more turkeys he will bag...Any thoughts?

Steve, I tend to agree with you, I'll go back and look at Denny Gulvas video's and his calling (rythem and feeling) turns the tide on many a tough old gobbler.  With that said, plenty of callers that may not be that good can and do kill turkeys because, their woodsmanship makes up for some of their calling deficencies.
Full Fans, Longbeards, and Sharp Spurs

StevePA

Postby StevePA » February 19th, 2009, 6:22 am

ORIGINAL: rsmithpa

ORIGINAL: StevePA

Steve, I tend to agree with you, I'll go back and look at Denny Gulvas video's and his calling (rythem and feeling) turns the tide on many a tough old gobbler.  With that said, plenty of callers that may not be that good can and do kill turkeys because, their woodsmanship makes up for some of their calling deficencies.

Actually its lovesick 2 yr olds that make up for it....
turkeykiller

wisturkeyhunter

Postby wisturkeyhunter » February 19th, 2009, 6:27 am

Unless you are a stalker calling is huge. I try and be the best caller I can.

tracebusta32

Postby tracebusta32 » February 19th, 2009, 6:48 am

If I was making a video, I would only show you the hunts where I bagged a gobbler too.

Calling is overrated hands down, you put me on my tract of land and pit me against the best caller in the world and I'll take my chances that I'll walk out with one before him/her.

Thats not arrogance thats just for the fact that I know that tract like the back of my hand and will be able to maneveur around on them birds that won't come to a call no matter what you do.  It does not matter if you can make your box call sound like a Stradivarius. If you are set up in a location that the bird will not go to, all of your calling skills will be in vain.
Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

StevePA

Postby StevePA » February 19th, 2009, 7:15 am

ORIGINAL: tracebusta32

If I was making a video, I would only show you the hunts where I bagged a gobbler too.

Calling is overrated hands down, you put me on my tract of land and pit me against the best caller in the world and I'll take my chances that I'll walk out with one before him/her.

Thats not arrogance thats just for the fact that I know that tract like the back of my hand and will be able to maneveur around on them birds that won't come to a call no matter what you do.  It does not matter if you can make your box call sound like a Stradivarius. If you are set up in a location that the bird will not go to, all of your calling skills will be in vain.

Theres no such thing as an uncallable bird..Im guessing with as much stalking that you do that your calling skills are lacking...Just a guess though..
turkeykiller

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion