My Fall Call with sound file

Do you create your own turkey calls? This is the place for you. Share techniques, offer tips and post photos of your creations.
Steve_In

Re: My Fall Call with sound file

Postby Steve_In » August 16th, 2012, 8:05 am

No excuses :D Sounds great Scott, thanks
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » August 18th, 2012, 1:54 pm

I agree with you, a pot call is one of the hardest calls to learn how to get the correct sound out of. I've never heard a kee kee on a pot that was close to what a real bird sounds like. It's much easier to do with a mouth call, if you know how to run them. That is why even in calling contest, friction calls have there own catagory and you don't see many callers using a friction call in an open catagory. As for the cutts, most gobbler cutts are not sharp and distinct like a hen cutt, they are more garbled and softer and deeper than a hens, and on pot calls it's hard to control the volume and still get the correct sound out of the call. :)
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » August 18th, 2012, 2:04 pm

I have heard many many many many turkeys yelp, cutt, and purr in a tone/rhythm that I would consider way way way way way off (several times I've been sure it was another, poorly skilled hunter walking in on my position only to have the turkey show itself). Turkeys don't make perfect calling stage yelps, cutts, etc. all of the time. Sometimes that different sound is all it takes to get the reaction you want. Whats the point in carrying a dozen calls that all sound the same? The wider the range in sounds you can cover, the better off you are IMO. The only ears you need to please are out in the woods, not on an internet forum. my 2 cents.

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » August 20th, 2012, 10:10 am

Agree, trumpets and wingbones make the best kee-kees, at least for my skill level. If one hunts in a cold weather climate it is a good idea to learn how to make a passable kee-kee on a friction call because there are times in subzero temps when my lips will not function properly or moisture freezes up the wind call. In this situation I prefer a metal or crystal pot call with a synthetic striker. In this kind of cold, sounds, sound different including the turkeys themselves.

This is what I mean by cold turkey hunting
IMGP1536.JPG
IMGP1536.JPG (109.46 KiB) Viewed 183 times

Like gopher I too have heard many turkeys sound horrible to the point I thought there was another hunter over the ridge who did not know how to use his box call, only to have a turkey fly away when I went over to give him some advice.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » August 20th, 2012, 2:17 pm

Be carefull using a glass call in subzero temps, I've seen a lot of crystals and plane glass crack just from the vibration created from running the call. A brozne glass is tempered and won't crack as easy. Most times when it get really cold I which to a box call.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » August 21st, 2012, 9:05 am

WillowRidgeCalls wrote:Be carefull using a glass call in subzero temps, I've seen a lot of crystals and plane glass crack just from the vibration created from running the call. A brozne glass is tempered and won't crack as easy. Most times when it get really cold I which to a box call.

The only broken calls I've experienced are those my cold hands fumbled and they fell to a concrete floor.
I've not been able to get kee-kees or assembly calls from a box call. Any tips? Type of box?
later,
charlie

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » August 21st, 2012, 9:54 am

Kee Kees on a box call aren't real hard to do, IF, the call your using will kee kee. It easier to do with a long box, than a short box, to get a nice smooth sound out of them, for most guys. I like a hard wood box like a maple, or walnut, seem to kee kee a lot better, for me at least. The assembly call is done a lot easier on a box, than a pot call. Even a lot of contest callers are using a box in competetion calling, because you can control the pitch and volume of your yelps a lot easier on a box than a pot. You can throw a few smooth sounding yelps, and a couple of louder raspier yelps in and change the volume of your yelps also, even with cold fingers. Most guys in real cold situations use a box or a mouth call, because your hands are the first things that begin to shake when your cold, and it's hard to get your fingers to work right and feel the tension your putting on a striker, and still get the right sound out of your call. It's worst on a stage for first time callers :lol: .
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » August 21st, 2012, 1:59 pm

WillowRidgeCalls wrote:because your hands are the first things that begin to shake when your cold, and it's hard to get your fingers to work right and feel the tension your putting on a striker

Yeah, sometimes it sounds more like Morse Code than turkey talk.
No can do diaphragm; gag reflexes too good :mrgreen:
later,
charlie

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » August 22nd, 2012, 11:25 am

TurkeyComander wrote:until you master the diaprham you'll never be a complete turkey man

Not too sure about this generalization - Natural voice substitutes just fine.
later,
charlie

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » August 23rd, 2012, 11:44 am

Why? Do you need a calling lesson?
later,
charlie

PreviousNext

Return to Call Makers