2nd T&TH HUNT

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
WillowRidgeCalls

2nd T&TH HUNT

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » August 17th, 2012, 11:28 pm

Hey guys, I'm starting to get things organized for our 2nd T&TH Hunt. We are hunting the same areas, but we are looking at moving the hunt up in the seasons. Last year we did the 5th season and with the early spring we had, made it a tough hunt. Next year we want to move the hunt up to the 3rd or 4th season. The 4th season would probably be the easiest to do it, because of all the OTC tags that are available for hunters to get. The 3rd season would be better hunting, but that season is mostly a draw season, there are a few OTC tags left for the 3rd season, last year there was about 350 left over tags, so drawing a tag shouldn't be that hard.
The 3rd season would be 4/24 to 4/28
The 4th season would be 5/1 to 5/5
That is running the hunt from Weds. through Sun.
Give me any input about the hunt?
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

ticklishtompro

Re: 2nd T&TH HUNT

Postby ticklishtompro » August 17th, 2012, 11:35 pm

I would lean towards the 4th season just do to that fact that the tags are easier to come by with getting a OTC and not having to apply for one. Just my thoughts. 4th season is usually real good yet as long as we don't have such an early spring again. I hope to be able to come over for the hunt.

Randy
Ticklish Tom Custom Calls Prostaff
ttcutomcalls.webs.com
Mossy Oak Prostaff
Hips Archery Targets Prostaff
Dixieland Outdoors Prostaff

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » August 17th, 2012, 11:47 pm

Refresh my memory, is this in Unit 1 or 3? I would be interested in attending next spring, but won't know for sure until we get a bit closer. I would lean towards the 4th season as well.

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » August 17th, 2012, 11:56 pm

It's in Zone 3.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Mossberg835

Postby Mossberg835 » August 19th, 2012, 12:19 am

i would love to be able to attend this. It would be cool for me also because i would be the youngest person there by a long shot (20). i lack the experience a lot of you guys have but i got that same drive. I used to go hunt out behind my house even though i knew i would never get one cause they were all up on the hill half a mile away and let me tell you, those gobblers do not come off of that hill except for winter time. I just enjoyed sitting in the woods and hearing some gobbling. Would be sweet to learn a few things first hand from some of you guys.
Hunt for thunder chickens for months at a time...you know that's right

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » August 26th, 2012, 5:56 pm

i would love to be apart of the hunt but the areas you hunted last season seemed to be not to productive last season in that neck of WI woods??? i hunted the 4th season last yr & in SW WI & my father & i both green to the WI turkey woods both managed to kill mature gobblers so id lean towards the 4th season for ease of secureing a tag & for the breeding activity of the birds??? im game for whatever???

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » August 26th, 2012, 8:18 pm

turkey junky wrote:i would love to be apart of the hunt but the areas you hunted last season seemed to be not to productive last season in that neck of WI woods??? i hunted the 4th season last yr & in SW WI & my father & i both green to the WI turkey woods both managed to kill mature gobblers so id lean towards the 4th season for ease of secureing a tag & for the breeding activity of the birds??? im game for whatever???

The areas we hunted last spring were very productive, but the hunters weren't successful :lol: , Tree Rooster got one on Fri. and missed one Sun. He had birds every day that he could of taken, but choose to pass. Scoot had birds 3 days that came in, but was set up wrong for the shot, he also had a couple of rookie hunters that goofed him up on birds he was working. Randy passed up 2 birds opening day, to let his hunters have a chance at them, and got goofed up the last day twice on birds that were coming in, one by the neighbor kid on his 4 wheeler, and the other by a family on bicycles out on the road. Shane got his Sat. Fan Club was the only hunter that didn't have a chance to pull the trigger on a bird. We bumped two birds Fri. by trying to move too close, and the 3rd bird went out the other end with some hens, and Sat they were across the road and wouldn't come over. Myself, I missed a bird Weds, then gave Scoot that area, and took Fan Club to a new spot, there we bumped the two Gobblers and the other left out the other end of the woods with the hens. Sat. we split up and I headed to the back of the land, and was working a Gobbler when another came in behind me silent and busted me :lol: . We took two Gobblers out of five guys, and could of had 5. Which is about what WI has for a success ratio, 20%. The birds were there, but we just made mistakes that cost us. :roll:
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » August 26th, 2012, 10:04 pm

2 out of 5 is 40% :D I'm not surprised you all did much better than average.

fallhunt

Postby fallhunt » August 27th, 2012, 8:02 am

I didn't go last year but would like to this year. So hunting the same area is fine I just don't know where you hunted last year. Where was the hunt last year?

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » August 27th, 2012, 1:35 pm

The area we hunted last spring was between Montello and Wautoma and Westfield area. There is a lot of public land in that area to move around on, so it offers a big area to cover. It has just about every kind of cover for the birds, so you never know just what kind of land you'll find them on?

It looks like everyone is preferring the 4th season, so lets make it that. The 4th season runs from May 1st = May 5th, unit 3, season D.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion