Shortest hunts?

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
wisturkeyhunter

RE: Shortest hunts? or Longest?

Postby wisturkeyhunter » February 18th, 2009, 6:46 pm

Heres my longest hunt. It should have been shorter but I made several mistakes it lasted a day and a half of solid hunting.
A few years back I found a gobbling bird that was roosted deep into some big woods couple miles from any road. I got within I'd guess about 150 yards which was to far but at the time I thought it was close enough. I called way to much to him when he was still roosted and he flew down towards me then went the other way with his hens. He answered every call I made and he would get closer to me several times thoughtout the day. I followed him all day and never got close enough for a shot although I called him pretty close 2 times. Close enough that if it would have been open he'd of been in range I'm sure. I roosted him that night. Next morning he flew down off the roost and strutting past me at less than 30 yards but I never got a shot in the thick woods he had several hens with him. I stuck within ear shot of him because he would gobbled alot. Mid morning he stopped gobbling and I thought I spooked him. After about an hour of not gobbling. I about gave up hope and then I heard him gobble in the same spot I heard him last. I answered and he came right in like he was on a string. His hens weren't with him. I'm pretty sure he and his hens got seperated and he was desperate to get back with them and he heard my calling and came running.

wisturkeyhunter

Postby wisturkeyhunter » February 18th, 2009, 7:19 pm

ORIGINAL: TurkeyComander

Only one day counts....

Walking out of the woods with a turkey I called to the gun is what counts. Learning something along the way and enjoying my time in the woods also counts big. If it takes 2 days to do that thats all the more I'll learn and more time to enjoy being in the turkey woods.  

tracebusta32

Postby tracebusta32 » February 19th, 2009, 4:18 am

AND you stalked a turkey, don't you know Steve & TC will beat you up for that.

The tougher ones to kill are the most memorable, I had one 2 years ago that took the whole season to kill, I hunted him everyday for the last 2 weeks and finally bagged him on the last morning of the season.
Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

tracebusta32

Postby tracebusta32 » February 19th, 2009, 4:47 am

Is following one repostioning? or is getting in front of one repositioning? Would one be stalking? and the other be ambushing? Would a potatoe up North be a Po tah toe? but still be a potatoe down South?

Hmmmm TC I'm confused my fine sensitive friend, from now on can I just get your opinion on things and save myself time?

tracebusta32

Postby tracebusta32 » February 19th, 2009, 4:57 am

Just giving you a hard time, come on you do it to everyone else....

wisturkeyhunter

Postby wisturkeyhunter » February 19th, 2009, 6:46 am

ORIGINAL: tracebusta32

AND you stalked a turkey, don't you know Steve & TC will beat you up for that.

Stalking a turkey is walking, or crawling within shooting distance and wacking the bird. I simply changed positions as need to try and call the bird to me.

tracebusta32

Postby tracebusta32 » February 19th, 2009, 7:02 am

My bad, you said "followed" so I pictured in my mind you actually "following" behind them or pursuing persistently in a harassing and, typically, obsessive way.

joeturkey

RE: Shortest hunts?

Postby joeturkey » February 25th, 2009, 12:22 pm

Hey Steve, Iv'e had several quick morning hunts at the crack of dawn, or flydown. My most memorable hunt was my sons first hunt at age thirteen. We climbed a large ridge at the back end of a crop field to enter a ridgetop that I knew turkeys liked to roost at. We set up against a big oak tree just after I owl hooted and got an immediate gobble about 75 yards away. I made two flydowns with my hat and mouth call,and I saw him flydown about 50 yards in front of us. A couple of calls on my slate and there he was at 30 yards. I asked my son if he could see him, and he said yes, I told him shoot,shoot. He says he can't theres a tree in the way! I grabbed the barrel of his gun, lifted it over a sapling and aimed it towards the tom and asked again, can you see him? He says oh yeah. Shoot em! We left the woods before the sun came over the ridge behind us. He was a nice 2 year old tom 22 lbs, with a 10 inch beard. I then tried to explain to him how lucky we were and that he now had no idea what turkey hunting was really like! In the next few years he found out. Joe
"You need to drink a few large glasses of beer tonight. That is the only solution. "

Ben Franklin

OTSDAWA_RIDGE_HUNTER

Postby OTSDAWA_RIDGE_HUNTER » February 28th, 2009, 7:10 am

Quickest hunt I had was 2 years ago. Me and my older brother pulled into a spot and got out.  We only had about 45 minutes to hunt for that day so got out, geared up and we hauled butt to hit the end of this logging road (about a 600yd walk up this side ridge) We got our stuff ready quickly and proceded to walk down a logging road. We got about 100 yards in an heard a gobble from 30 yards away in this small gulley. We flew to the ground and layed down side by side right on the road and about 15 seconds later 3 hens came to check us out.  Must be they heard us walking in or something but they walked right on top of us.  Despite some flogging I probably could have grabbed one hen by the leg if I wanted to!  Well that ole boy followed those hens and as soon as they stepped into that logging road it was goodnight sweet prince for him!  My borther shot him from about 10 feet away.  I'd say 5-8 minutes max from the time we pulled the Jeep over till his Mossberg went bang.  BTW we wre wearing MOBU camo.  Not saying its the best out there but man did it work that morning.

Mack

turkeylimb

Postby turkeylimb » March 6th, 2009, 3:12 pm

My buddy and I double out at 6:20 am.What a hunt.

PreviousNext

Return to Strategies