Birds in fields after rain

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
Cut N Run

Birds in fields after rain

Postby Cut N Run » August 13th, 2012, 9:53 am

As much as I wish I had my camera with me, I didn't, so I did not get the chance to take any pictures of all the turkeys I saw after the rains we had late last week. Most of the birds were in freshly mowed fields that the hay had been removed from a few days before. The rain was heavy and the turkeys headed out from the canopy of the woods almost as soon as the big drops stopped falling. I saw three flocks in 3 different fields and one pair of gobblers together in a small field. Some of the poults were getting some size to them, but you could tell they were this year's hatch. It was great to see so many turkeys and speaks well for the future. None of them were in a place I had rights to hunt, but I enjoyed seeing them anyway.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

ylpnfol

Re: Birds in fields after rain

Postby ylpnfol » August 13th, 2012, 11:08 am

i love seeing the birds in the fields, lord knows that's probably how i'll leave this earth, crashing the car craning my head to see if it's gobblers or a family flock, plus i think the amount you see may be indicative of how the hatch went.....i think we had a good one up my way.....PLUS i saw 4 BIGG gobblers bugging right beside the road last week, turned around twice.....
David

You never know, unless you go

Cut N Run

Re: Birds in fields after rain

Postby Cut N Run » August 14th, 2012, 5:49 pm

Yeah, I don't practice good driving skills whenever I see turkeys in a field either. I'm more worried about where I can get a better look than who might be in the other lane headed towards me. From time to time I see others looking in fields the same as me and I realize we share the same affliction.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion