Ambushing spring turkeys

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
StevePA

Ambushing spring turkeys

Postby StevePA » February 18th, 2009, 6:54 am

Anyone here a classic bushwacker?....
turkeykiller

Gobblerman

RE: Ambushing spring turkeys

Postby Gobblerman » February 18th, 2009, 7:32 am

YIKES!,...here we go again.  You just love puttin' up these topics that are gonna get people fussin' at each other, huh, Steve?  Image    That's okay, I'll play along.

First off, I don't have any problem with those on here that bushwack gobblers.  I am a firm believer that there are many birds out there that will never get killed unless that is how they are hunted.  There have been plenty of gobblers that I would gladly have bushwacked, if given the chance, just to put them out of my misery. 

I can honestly say, however, that I very rarely get to the point where I am intentionally hunting birds via bushwacking.  I would like to say I never do it, but there have been gobblers that frustrated me to the point where it would have been a pleasure to bushwack 'em.   

The "bottom line" for me, though, is that spring gobbler hunting is about calling turkeys to the gun, and preferrably about calling gobbling and strutting turkeys to the gun.  Anything less than that is a disappointment as far as I am concerned. 

Having said that, I am well aware that there are those of you that hunt turkeys in places where, realistically, that classic scenario is not nearly as likely to occur than it is in other places.  I suspect I might end up being continually disappointed if I hunted where some of you do, and I might well end up converting to hunting strategy that included bushwacking more prominently.

Jim.

Ozarks Hillbilly

Postby Ozarks Hillbilly » February 18th, 2009, 7:38 am

Define ambush, according to a dictionary every turkey hunt is a ambush.

am·bush [ ámb?sh ]

noun  (plural am·bush·es)

Definition:

1. surprise attack: an unexpected attack from a concealed position
These Ozark Mountains Ain't High But The Hollers Sure Are Deep

tracebusta32

Postby tracebusta32 » February 18th, 2009, 8:06 am

Last year I had spotted some birds struttin in a known strut zone, so after they left I went to that "zone" and placed my outhouse blind right beside the sign that said strut zone... I went home and checked the weather and the almanac to make sure the next day would be longer and decided that it would probably be a good day to be out there because it would be 1 minute longer than the day before.
I woke up and hooked up all my gizzmo's to my turkey vest, went out and fed my turkey dogs called up StevePA to see how he was coping with the 20 degree days of May and then headed out to the strut zone.

Once I got there I put out 4 hen da'coys and 4 gobbler da'coys(one can never have enuff) and I waited.....but before it got sunlight I heard thunder in the background and decided I better go home before I got wet.

I did the same thing the next mornin, once day light hit those birds gobbled 80% more than they do on a morning after it don't rain...anyway those birds came a runnin at my da'coys and I jumped up and shot a big ole tom without even callin to um....

[:)][:)] 
Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

dmcianfa

Postby dmcianfa » February 18th, 2009, 10:00 am

ORIGINAL: tracebusta32

Last year I had spotted some birds struttin in a known strut zone, so after they left I went to that "zone" and placed my outhouse blind right beside the sign that said strut zone... I went home and checked the weather and the almanac to make sure the next day would be longer and decided that it would probably be a good day to be out there because it would be 1 minute longer than the day before.
I woke up and hooked up all my gizzmo's to my turkey vest, went out and fed my turkey dogs called up StevePA to see how he was coping with the 20 degree days of May and then headed out to the strut zone.

Once I got there I put out 4 hen da'coys and 4 gobbler da'coys(one can never have enuff) and I waited.....but before it got sunlight I heard thunder in the background and decided I better go home before I got wet.

I did the same thing the next mornin, once day light hit those birds gobbled 80% more than they do on a morning after it don't rain...anyway those birds came a runnin at my da'coys and I jumped up and shot a big ole tom without even callin to um....

[:)][:)] 

[8|]Ha, I'm still laughing at this I can barely type!! LOL  good post
"After eating an entire moose, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut."

StevePA

Postby StevePA » February 18th, 2009, 11:16 am

I know alot of southern hunters practice this deadly art because its legal....To me its really not much of a challenge to stalk a turkey...
turkeykiller

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » February 18th, 2009, 11:48 am

Ambushing is a art only to be practiced by the most skillful of woodsmen,far more challenging than the use of turkey calls, hooters, bait, blinds or decoys.
Turkeybuster

dmcianfa

Postby dmcianfa » February 18th, 2009, 11:52 am

ORIGINAL: StevePA

I know alot of southern hunters practice this deadly art because its legal....To me its really not much of a challenge to stalk a turkey...

Stalking any game is much much different than ambushing your quarry.  You are constantly on the move if you stalk your prey, you sit and wait for your opportunity when you ambush your prey.  Two totally different animals StevePA, no pun intended!

If we are talking about stalking, then that would be the most challenging method to hunt turkeys, because of their keen eyesight and ability to detect minute amounts of movement.  And, as I stated in the previous paragraph, you move when you stalk to get within striking distance.  What's more difficult, getting a turkey to respond to calling and subsequently ambushing them or stalking them after seeing them trying to not make a sound or be spyed.  I would hope one would say the latter if they knew anything about turkeys.  That's why we sit, wait, and call!  Because, it is the most effective and efficient way to kill a turkey!  If you are used to this method and try to put a stalk on one, you will be eating tag soup more times than not due to the level of challenge it poses.
"After eating an entire moose, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut."

mark hay

Postby mark hay » February 18th, 2009, 12:18 pm

i ain't been all over the country like some of you addicts , but i have been busy at this game of turkey hunting for a little while and in some different types of terrain and among some stubborn birds .
my largest bird fell dead 39 yards from the muzzle . i worked around the field using cover and got in front of the flock , which just happened to be moving at an angle toward the edge where i waited . i had tried everything i knew , on the calls , beforehand , and the flock would turn the other way .
so i managed to ambush this fine bird .
if it suits others ,,,, well have at it . it turned out to be my most disheartening hunt ,,,as well as my last ambushed turkey.
i enjoy the battle of wits and strategic calling to much .

'' old school turkey tactics ''

swpatrkyhunter

Postby swpatrkyhunter » February 18th, 2009, 2:25 pm

Here in Pa it is illegal to stalk turkey. But some peoples opinion of stalking can vary! Steve. Your from Pa. What exactly would be considerd "Stalking" as far as what the regulations say?
If it gobbles,runs on gas, or is married to you it will give you trouble!

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion