The Real Mating Call

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
Ozarks Hillbilly

RE: The Real Mating Call

Postby Ozarks Hillbilly » February 18th, 2009, 11:30 am

The NWTF web site's soundboard dosen't contain a spit and drum. Its recorded on the Spit n Feathers CD's I have.
These Ozark Mountains Ain't High But The Hollers Sure Are Deep

tracebusta32

Postby tracebusta32 » February 18th, 2009, 11:34 am

Once you hear it you will never forget it
Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

mark hay

Postby mark hay » February 18th, 2009, 12:00 pm

when i was a youngster , our neighbor , a farmer , had some dom. turks. while dad and the neighbor were busy ''killin' a hog'' , i was following this big ol' tom around trying to figure out what he was doing . many years later i learned of the '' spit n drum ''.
that ol' bird would VIBRATE and QUIVER . standing 2 feet from him i could see him vibrate , and he was always stationary and in full strut when the sound was made.

ten years ago i had my finest hunt. the tom was standing broadside at 12 - 15 steps for several minutes . he would TWITCH all over , in full strut . the instant he twitched , the spit n drum began . this went on several minutes ,,,,and then i learned the ALARM PUTT !!!

on the subject of the spit n drum being the TRUE mating call,,,well i've been leaning that way for three years . i'm seeing the gobble as more of a threat than a mating call. and perhaps the reason it is more often heard in the spring is BECAUSE it is mating season ,,, AND IF YOU TRY TO GET BETWEEN ME AND A HEN I'LL STOMP YOUR SNOOD IN THE GROUND

Ozarks Hillbilly

Postby Ozarks Hillbilly » February 18th, 2009, 12:33 pm

I think your on to something there TC. I know that lower frequency sounds do travel farther. I don't know what sound range a turkey hears at but I know there was a young man that lived down the road from me that had one of those I think they call them "bump-in" sound systems in his little foreign made car. You could hear the bass of that stereo a mile before he ever got to our house. I am not sure if the music had any high notes that he was listening too but you never heard them if there where I guess the bass may have just drowned them out. My point of that is the lower bass notes traveled a long long way.
These Ozark Mountains Ain't High But The Hollers Sure Are Deep

silvestris

Postby silvestris » February 18th, 2009, 1:03 pm

ORIGINAL: TurkeyComander

the dominate bird is not always the one gobbling.

Nor is the dominant bird always the one doing the breeding; the hen makes the decision as to whom to breed.
Why be good when you can B-Mobile or Spin & Strut.

turkeydoghunter

Postby turkeydoghunter » February 18th, 2009, 1:50 pm

hens rule the roost.....dose the low feakqency call make em gobble??? i think not but a high one dose .....all i want to do is hear him gobble ....then the hunt is on[:D]

swpatrkyhunter

Postby swpatrkyhunter » February 18th, 2009, 2:21 pm

Well TC I am impressed!

That really gives some food for thought. And now I wonder if the spitting sound they make first is in preperation for the drumming or is it part of the call?  For me the first time I had heard a turkey spit and drum was much more exciting then the first time I heard one gobble! You would think there would be more about this in books and such other then just a mere mention about them doing it. Have any calls been made to mimic the spit and drum? How would you go about doing it? I would REALLY like to see if anyone here puts this to a test and lets everyone know how it turns out this spring. Anyone know of any information about what TC has brought up. I mean it makes sense when you think about it.
If it gobbles,runs on gas, or is married to you it will give you trouble!

tracebusta32

Postby tracebusta32 » February 18th, 2009, 3:48 pm

ORIGINAL: tracebusta32

A drumming call can sometimes be heard 150 yards away in the woods. 

You must have some really good hearing....150 yards you say. [:)] Maybe 50 yards by a hunter. 

I do have good hearing, but a game ear helps

But drumming can be practiced, learned, and used very effectively to take gobblers.   

So you've done this ?

Yes, wanna fight about it?

I usually give the drumming call, and many times that will break him out of his strut. 

How did you learn to mimic this sound ?....you got a pet gobbler to practice with ?

Neighbor down the road has one, but I couldn't get him to teach me

Another kind of drumming, which most hunters completely overlook, is the kind a turkey does on his roost.  A turkey doesn't have to be in full strut to drum,

It's the same kind of drumming...and I'm not sure but I think they have to be in full strut to drum.

I've got good hearing and drummining is not something a hunter hears on a regular basis.
TC

If'n you aint hearing it on a regular basis, brush up on yer skillz and maybe you will hear some, or stop shooting them from 51 yards out [:)]

Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » February 18th, 2009, 3:59 pm

ORIGINAL: Cut N Run

Whenever one of us takes out the Boss Gobbler where we hunt, the other subordinate Gobblers establish a new pecking order.  A lot of mornings when I have been hunting, a few different gobblers get fired up just after dawn & when the Boss started gobbling, the rest of them shut up.  We have also seen Mature Gobblers (other than the Boss) courting hens when they didn't gobble, possibly for fear of the Boss coming & kicking their butt and stealing the hen.

Another false hood pushed on the turkey world...the dominate bird is not always the one gobbling.

I've seen this happen WAY too often for it to be false, especially if the Boss is a big, bad, S.O.B.. If he is a 4+ year old competing with a bunch of younger birds, the subordinate birds will shut their mouths when he speaks up.  Say what you'd like, but I know what I have heard & seen.  It is not like I am new to this game.  The Boss is going to kick anyone's @$$ who gets in his way. There are usually enough birds in the flock that the Big Boy doesn't even get the chance to breed ALL the Hens. That allows satellite Gobblers the opportunity to breed when he's busy doing his job and it also ensures genetic diversity within the flock.  Sneaking around behind the Boss' back by a younger bird is also one of the reasons younger birds are easier to fool.  They are trying for whatever they can get, plus younger birds are less experienced & easier to fool. They are also more plentiful because fewer Gobblers in the older age class survived the previous hunting season (and natural mortality) & some have just dispersed to other areas.

Truth that the Dominant bird is not ALWAYS the one gobbling (re-read my post, I never claimed that he was) ,but he has whipped the rest often enough that they will honor him in the pecking order. He is also the one doing the majority of the breeding, because he has fought for that right. That is why there is a craze for using strutting gobbler decoys right now.It is a battle for dominance.  Survival of the fittest is the rule.  Hens are more likely to choose the dominant Gobbler to ensure their genes survive....notice I didn't say ALWAYS.

Take the Boss out of the flock & those that remain scrap to establish a new pecking order. There has to be a top dog, just like there is always a dominant deer in the herd (who doesn't do ALL the breeding either), or the biggest bass dominates the best stump in the deepest hole in the pond, and the biggest hog gets the dampest, shadiest spot in the lot. Others do get to breed, but they don't do it in front of the Dominant animal without having to fight first. Law of the Jungle...happens the same way around the globe.  If the Boss is gone though, the second bananna jumps in his place.

Please, if you are going to quote me, don't charge what I'm saying as a falsehood by twisting what I said.  Thanks.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

RutnNStrutn

Postby RutnNStrutn » February 18th, 2009, 7:14 pm

....how far could a hen turkey hear it? I suspect miles...maybe many miles.

And where did you get the information to make that assumption from?  You really think that a turkey can hear another turkey drumming from miles away??????
OK then!!!!!! [8|]
Proud Member of the NRA, NWTF and UWF!

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.

Legal = ethical, so if you don't like it, don't do it!!

PreviousNext

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion