A Day at the Range

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
allaboutshooting

A Day at the Range

Postby allaboutshooting » August 11th, 2012, 5:42 pm

Doris and I spent the better part of the day at our range. Doris shot her Remington 870 Express with 3" Hevi-13 shotshells with 1.25 oz. of #6 shot through the SSX and scored some impressive targets. We were most interested in 3" circles, since that's her still target gun and she had several 30s which match her World Record set in 2006.

We did however look at a lot of 10" circles for density and coverage and it would have taken a very lucky turkey to have escaped from any of them. She uses her competition gun for turkey hunting as well, so it's very important to her to know how it will pattern for turkeys at 40 yards.

We also shot the "new" 20 gauge Mossberg 500, the 12 gauge Benelli SBE, the Mossberg 930 and my Savage 210. The 930 and the SBE were pretty equal in patterning but the 930 was a lot easier on the body.

I still have several other guns to try in the next month and see what will work best in October at the World Championship Still Target Shoot.

We put a lot of shells down range today and counted a lot of holes on paper.

Since Doris started shooting in 2006, it's a lot easier and more fun to spend time at the range. We help each other by hanging targets and cleaning guns for each other.

Our shooting together has allowed us to introduce many other shooters, including several women to the sport. We also shoot pistols together and recently completed the NRA Pistol Instructor course so that we can teach others to shoot handguns.

This shooting thing is so much fun and I'd encourage any and all of you to encourage your "significant other" to get involved in the sport.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

kygobbler

Re: A Day at the Range

Postby kygobbler » August 12th, 2012, 10:34 pm

Hey Clark, by any change have tried out the Browning A-5 yet? I was wondering if these shotguns are as good and as reliable as the old ones. Also, do you know if they have came out with a turkey choke for them yet?
Is it turkey season yet?

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » August 13th, 2012, 8:59 am

kygobbler wrote:Hey Clark, by any change have tried out the Browning A-5 yet? I was wondering if these shotguns are as good and as reliable as the old ones. Also, do you know if they have came out with a turkey choke for them yet?

You have good timing. I'll be with the Browning folks this week to put some rounds down range. I do not know of any turkey chokes made for the new A-5. As you know, it has a whole new choke system, so I suspect that it will be a while for turkey chokes.

Thanks,
Clark

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » August 13th, 2012, 9:44 am

My wife is a pretty good shot, but she is slightly built and I wouldn't hand her a gun with turkey loads in it. She can handle shooting clay birds with light field loads, but tires of that recoil pretty quick. As much as I'd like to get her into turkey hunting, it is just not in her nature to hunt. She is more into equestrian sports and rides her horse 5 days a week. I tell my friends that I'd much rather have her riding his @$$ than mine.
She is a dead eye shot with my stainless Ruger 77/22Mag though.

I think its great that you and Doris share the same passion. It helps grow enjoyment in the sport.

At your suggestion,I am shooting my SBE II with #6 Hevi through an SSX choke and love the results of that combination. If there's a better non-custom one out there, I haven't heard of it. Thanks again Clark.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » August 13th, 2012, 5:27 pm

Cut N Run wrote:My wife is a pretty good shot, but she is slightly built and I wouldn't hand her a gun with turkey loads in it. She can handle shooting clay birds with light field loads, but tires of that recoil pretty quick. As much as I'd like to get her into turkey hunting, it is just not in her nature to hunt. She is more into equestrian sports and rides her horse 5 days a week. I tell my friends that I'd much rather have her riding his @$$ than mine.
She is a dead eye shot with my stainless Ruger 77/22Mag though.

I think its great that you and Doris share the same passion. It helps grow enjoyment in the sport.

At your suggestion,I am shooting my SBE II with #6 Hevi through an SSX choke and love the results of that combination. If there's a better non-custom one out there, I haven't heard of it. Thanks again Clark.

Jim

Hey Jim,

That's one of the great things about the shooting sports, there really is something for everyone. I'm also glad to hear that the SSX and your SBE II combo are working out so well with Hevi-13 shotshells. It is a winning combination for sure.

Thanks again,
Clark

Return to Shooting