Own a dog, Think Turkey

Discuss turkey hunting's "second season" here
charlie elk

Re: Own a dog, Think Turkey

Postby charlie elk » August 7th, 2012, 2:50 pm

charlie elk wrote:man charlie you can blindfold me & or do what ever you want so i cant find my way back to your stomping grounds but i would love to maybe just share a hunt with you someday for quail or huns??? charlie im serious i would only need 1 OF EACH SPECIES TO BE HAPPY.

I do like your enthusiasm tj and I'll think about it. Vic does require more polish, yeah I know, I make him sound like super dog but what dog owner doesn't leave out some of parts?
I am going to keep specializing in turkey with him this year with a few of the other hunts to keep him diversified.
When time allows I'll search my pictures, there are thousands, to find some huns, actually there should be a couple of Vic with a brace of quail and huns. Stay tune.
Turkeydoghunter and talked a lot about turkey dogs he has some good ones for sure. I selected the Vizsla for its versatility and long legs to cover these big hills, up, down and sideways. Turkeys are fast. My fear with the smaller turkey dogs was they would not hold up on a long day's hunt in steep bluff country. (my backyard) Most turkey doggers seem to prefer the smaller breeds, so you should be in good shape with your Musterlander. Trust me, once you try turkey dogging you'll get seriously turkey hooked. Spring only hunters think they are addicts, however, you have not encountered a real turkey addict until meet a turkey dogger. Doggers hunt year round all over the country in a all seasons. Whereas, spring only hunters feel they have to rest up in order to make it in the next season. :lol: ;) (that's turkey dogger humor there, it is)
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » August 7th, 2012, 4:55 pm

charlie i have to limit my-self to spring turkeys only i feel as i would only want to hunt turkeys year round if i started fall turkey hunting??? my small munsterlander will be about 18-22 inches at the hithers & 45-55 pounds but they are maid to hunt all day in all types of habitat & in land or water & never get tired & they retrive canada geese no prob... do you duck hunt charlie??? how dose vic do if so???

yes charlie please think on the prairie grouse hunt i can put you on both sharptail grouse & prairie chicken ive talked to the leading p chicken biologist in north america i bumped into him in my hunting grounds last season & he gave me some good info & contacts to locate prairie grouse in MN no need to apply for a prairie chicken license but lets keep that hush hush... did you bag them PARTRIDGE on public lands charlie or private lands???

beleave me i understand that no hunting dog is perfect but vic dose do his job well from the looks of things ive been useing a olde english bulldogge to upland game bird hunt the last 4-5 yrs so a hunting dog will be a world of difference... lola is the small munsterlanders name she already likes to point & retrive piegons lol next is pheasants im bite n at the bit to get out in the bird woods & fields i will be chase n prairie grouse for our MN grouse opener & if we bag a few ill move on to woodland grouse i only need a sharptail for my MN grouse slam... ill go for the single season MN grouse slam this season PRAIRIE CHICKEN, SHARPTAIL GROUSE, SPRUCE GROUSE & RUFFED GROUSE make the MN GROUSE SLAM...

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » August 8th, 2012, 2:44 pm

turkey junky wrote:do you duck hunt charlie??? how dose vic do if so???

I do not waterfowl hunt any longer and good thing for Vic, he hates cold water.
Some were on private and most from public. Public land is usually better for bird hunting and with Vic being a pup I didn't have to worry about him crossing a property line.
later,
charlie

eggshell

Postby eggshell » August 8th, 2012, 3:41 pm

I have hunted with a dog, but would rather not. Scaring the bejeebies out of a flock of birds and scattering them to the winds is kind of gorilla tactics to me. I like to still hunt in the fall and listen to the chatter, but I will bust a flock if they don't come. However, a good dog is a definite strategic advantage, more speed and a keen sense of smell will find you more birds.
Bust em, Bag em, thank HIm

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » August 8th, 2012, 6:52 pm

turkey junky wrote:charlie i have to limit my-self to spring turkeys only i feel as i would only want to hunt turkeys year round if i started fall turkey hunting???

Yes it will surely addict you. :D
And you may be interested to know very close to the MN border on our hike this evening Vic flushed a covey of 10 quail. In 13 years of living here I have never before seen any quail in this area. A very good sign of things to come indeed. :D
later,
charlie

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » August 10th, 2012, 9:43 am

TurkeyComander wrote:There is nothing finer than fall hunting with a specialized turkey dog, here's my dog Buster http://www.turkeydog.org/buster.html

Could not agree more. That is an excellent page stories you have posted there on turkeydog.org. Buster looks great! You have every reason to be proud.

Turkey dogging is very new to us WI hunters, so many of us are feeling our way along. In discussing turkey dogging with Jon he brought up the idea guys with bird dogs could possibly use them for turkeys with some more specialized training. With other dogs over the years I had successfully trained them to hunt multiple species on command and it worked out very well. This all inspired me to attempt it with Vic. So far so good. He specializes in turkey, I prefer turkey, the other is add on so we can keep hunting. We do not mix the species on a single hunt. If we set out to hunt turkey that is what we do and only turkeys, broke up and called back to setup. None of that flushing turkeys while pheasant hunting and busting them on wing as in "Fall Free for All" article.
later,
charlie

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » August 10th, 2012, 9:45 am

eggshell wrote:gorilla tactics

Gorillas are too slow - I'll stick with my turkey dog. :lol:
later,
charlie

eggshell

Postby eggshell » August 10th, 2012, 10:34 am

I apologize for my comment
Bust em, Bag em, thank HIm

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » August 10th, 2012, 12:14 pm

No reason to apologize, your comment is fine we all have different preferences as how to hunt.
I am laughing at the mental picture of a gorilla charging a flock of turkeys or maybe charlie elk in a gorilla suit.
later,
charlie

Previous

Return to Fall Hunting