Turkey Vest

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
StevePA

RE: Turkey Vest

Postby StevePA » February 16th, 2009, 2:59 pm

I still use the original NWTF vest....
turkeykiller

wisturkeyhunter

Postby wisturkeyhunter » February 16th, 2009, 3:12 pm

I've got a mossyoak nwtf hybrid with the zipoff sleaves. I got a great deal in it and my cheap walmart special was trashed so I bought it. I really like the zipoff sleaves and its got some really nice pockets although way more than I need. I didn't like the pad so I took that off and just sit on the bare ground now. I don't carry as many calls as I used to and wouldn't mind finding a really basic vest with enough pockets for 1 pot and striker, a few diaphragms, and some locators and maybe a box if I ever buy one woods worthy.

eddie234

Postby eddie234 » February 17th, 2009, 5:14 am

I've got this one: http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... ISO-8859-1
but I've added a few things, I added a strap to hold my shotgun near my sholder, a couple D rings and I need to add a pocket for a water bottle.

RutnNStrutn

Postby RutnNStrutn » February 17th, 2009, 7:37 am

ORIGINAL: eddie234
I added a strap to hold my shotgun near my sholder

Eddie, is that for when you are walking to keep it from slipping off your shoulder, or for holding the butt of your shotgun in place so you can work a call?  If it's the latter, can you post up a picture of that?
Thanks!
Proud Member of the NRA, NWTF and UWF!

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.

Legal = ethical, so if you don't like it, don't do it!!

NJrdh

Postby NJrdh » February 17th, 2009, 10:24 am

Thanks again for all the advice. I'm sure I'll have more ?s for you guys.

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » February 17th, 2009, 1:59 pm

Here ya go RNS-

This is the same vest I have. H.S calls the strap a Gun Stock Buddy. It's actually pretty ingenious. There are a series of four snaps across the shoulders on the back. The strap has six snaps so you can lengthen or shorten it for a custom fit. The idea is to hold the gun stock while sitting so your hands are free to call. Used in conjunction with the H.S. Gun Rest which goes on your knee, the system works remarkably well. I actually had the gun rest for several seasons before they came out with the GS Buddy. Even with a mouth call you can end up holding your gun for quite a while waiting on a stubborn bird. I can hear some groans out there...all I can say is, don't knock it until you've tried it.

"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

RutnNStrutn

Postby RutnNStrutn » February 17th, 2009, 5:22 pm

So does it only work on their vests, or can it be adapted to other vests as well?
Proud Member of the NRA, NWTF and UWF!

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.

Legal = ethical, so if you don't like it, don't do it!!

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » February 17th, 2009, 5:32 pm

I'm sure it could be adapted, you would either have to install a row of snaps on your vest or switch to something like a velcro system. Either way it needs to be adjustable.

The problem I see is how to attain just the strap. They're only available with the Hunter Specialties S.U.V. (Sport Utility Vest) that I'm aware of. H.S doesn't market them as a separate accessory.

Now that you have the idea, I'm sure you could fabricate one. Be sure it has a rubberized inside surface to grip your gun stock.

cheers.

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » February 17th, 2009, 5:44 pm

Done it many times, TC. I've only had this vest for two years and been killin' turkeys for fifteen.

If you take the time to read many of my past posts, you'll find I have a penchant for dropping my vest and going after birds with just my shotgun. Additionally, I prefer to take my vest off to sit given the time. I like it on the ground beside me to easier access my calls with less motion.

Only took the time to explain the system because of the inquiry. You ever read a post and not say anything? You should try it. It's kinda like not callin' to a turkey when appropriate.

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » February 18th, 2009, 5:18 am

Geeze, 'gotta 'splain everthin' 'roun here. I know you're just goading but I'll play along...

If you go back and read the entire thread, I procured the vest for the basic design. In my original reply to the thread starter I didn't even mention what kind of vest I had, just my preferences. I prefer top zippered cargo style areas that ride on your hips, not calls plastered all over your chest like some turkey commando. Check. I like padded shoulder straps. Check. Blood proof game bag. Check. The strap just happened to come with the vest. It is not currently on my vest, but I did try it several times and found it to be functional as advertised.

Worked pretty good.

PreviousNext

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion