Good Article

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
wisturkeyhunter

RE: Good Article

Postby wisturkeyhunter » February 17th, 2009, 2:17 pm

T.R. Michaels

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » February 17th, 2009, 2:26 pm

ORIGINAL: wisturkeyhunter

I've always put personal experience above what I read on the internet from some biologist especially when any turkey hunter would know that the majority of that article is bs. Here's a quote, "When it had rained within the last 12 hours gobbling activity was almost non-existent." That is about the most bogus thing I've read in a turkey article.

Take the time to read the Missouri Conservation Dept. report from the link OzarkHillbilly provided. The numbers, over several years, back up that statement. My 15 years of hunting in Missouri also echo that evidence. While "non-existant" is strong wording, the study shows gobbling was reduced by an average of 80% after an overnight rain.

"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

StevePA

Postby StevePA » February 17th, 2009, 2:52 pm

Im going too....Just something about the next morning after a rain..
turkeykiller

wisturkeyhunter

Postby wisturkeyhunter » February 17th, 2009, 2:56 pm

I'd be more liable to believe 80% more gobbling after a night of rain than 80% less.

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » February 17th, 2009, 3:02 pm

i prefer hunting the next morning after a rain, everything feels "fresh" & i'm usually hearin' gobbles...nothin' better than fresh gobbles 

deja vu

Postby deja vu » February 17th, 2009, 3:02 pm

One thing that may affect that survey are a couple of the peramitters it sets.....

Gobbleteers listened from a location they choose at least 2 times a week (more listening sessions are okay) when winds are 10mph or less and it is not raining.

Gobble count timing was from 45 minutes before sunrise to 30 minutes before sunrise

The comment after the results is that turkeys are more likely to gobble on mornings following a dry night compared to those following rain events.

OK, but how many times have you seen it take just a little longer for the toms to get fired up after a night like that? Maybe just timing, maybe not. But anytime it stops raining and the sun comes out, I`ll be out there cause it`s gonna get good [;)]
"Old School Elitist"

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » February 17th, 2009, 3:14 pm

> You stay home and I'll be killing them the next morning after a rain... <

That isn't what I'm getting at and there isn't a chance of that happening. I don't go all the way to Missouri to sleep in, no matter what the weather is doing. When I get a day to hunt here in Michigan the weather is a non factor as well.

Deja vu, we're talking about sunrise gobbling after an overnight rain event. Everyone knows if it clears and the sun comes out the hunting will be good as the turkeys attempt to dry out in the fields.

"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

deja vu

Postby deja vu » February 17th, 2009, 3:21 pm

No.... the survey you are quoting is "pre sunrise" gobbeling 45 to 30 minutes pre sunrise..... my point is wait another 30 minutes till sunrise and you can throw the whole survey out the window [;)] I just don`t think it is a fair view of what goes on. Also... the survey is not conducted on days when it rains at all pre sunrise.
"Old School Elitist"

deja vu

Postby deja vu » February 17th, 2009, 3:29 pm

Fan Club, sorry, I was talking about the study you mentioned not the original topic.... You said.....
Take the time to read the Missouri Conservation Dept. report from the link OzarkHillbilly provided.
"Old School Elitist"

Limbhanger150

Postby Limbhanger150 » February 17th, 2009, 3:35 pm

Some of it may be the fact that the conditions are more favorable to hear gobbling than the actual amount of gobbling activity. We have hunted on a ridge in a slight wind (so we thought) and could see a tom gobbling but could not hear it. He was not that far off either. We eased down the ridge and found out that the wind was howling in that valley. We have seen toms in about the same area at the same distance (same spots) and could easily hear birds, even beyond the ones we could see.

Now, I do know that there are "peak" days for gobbling and I have been lucky enough to be out there on a few of those mornings. Gobbling lasting for minutes at a time non-stop. But on those mornings the conditions were perfect for hearing them. I think you got to have both gobbling birds and good listening spots to hear a fair amount. We have a few spots that we listen from and they are strategically located (so to speak) to be able hear different areas of our property. Certain days all you have to do is step out of the truck and hoot from the road and you can locate one anywhere on the property. But some days you cant.

Addressing gobbling after a rainy night, I have heard decent gobbling. Usually the mornings are fairly still and hearing is good. If it was a major thunder storm that passed through then the gobbling gets started later but that could be because they "shock" gobbled to thunder half the night. Then again, I could be wrong about birds getting tired of gobbling. Maybe a passing front has something to do with it?  

PreviousNext

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion