IFAK

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
grunt_doc

RE: IFAK

Postby grunt_doc » February 11th, 2009, 2:39 am

Nathan-

Quick clot is really only good for severe arterial bleeding.  It's very difficult to use correctly.  Unless you have lots of training on using it, I would ditch it.  It can do more damage if it's used incorrectly.  If you feel you know what you are doing, by all means keep it.  As far as the tampons go, I would strongly reccomend getting rid of those.  They actually do the opposite of what people think when it comes to blood clotting.  Instead of allowing blood to collect and clot, they absorb it and pull it away from the wound, making the clotting process take a lot longer. They can hold a lot of blood!  Just my 2 cents worth of experience, that's all.  I'm glad to hear that you always have one with you!  The gloves are a good idea.  They can be used for all kinds of stuff (constriction,occlusive dresing, holding water, baloon animals, ect). 

Doc

headshot870

Postby headshot870 » February 11th, 2009, 7:55 pm

Hey Doc,

Thanks for the squaring me away on the Tampon issue. The Quick-clot is on hand just for such an emergency as you described.

I'm also a competetive shooter (IDPA & IPSC) & keep an IFAK ("blow out kit") attached to my shooting bag.

Stay safe,

Nathan

deja vu

Postby deja vu » February 17th, 2009, 2:28 pm

Hey _doc, great topic. One thing I carry in my vest is a couple of benadryl, I am slightly alergic to bee stings and the sooner the better for treatment.

Hey Tntrkyhntr..... I have a scar that is the twin to the one you got, same cause too.
"Old School Elitist"

StevePA

Postby StevePA » February 17th, 2009, 2:37 pm

Never thought of carrying one till reading this post.....Since my 8 yr old is pokin along with me now...Guess I better pack something.....
turkeykiller

grunt_doc

Postby grunt_doc » February 17th, 2009, 4:10 pm

Glad to hear it! 

swpatrkyhunter

Postby swpatrkyhunter » February 17th, 2009, 5:34 pm

Great post Grunt_Doc!

Funny you should bring this up. I just got a kit of my own at a local Army Surplus store. I also picked up a small first -aid book to read. Not sure if alot of guys here realize the handy gear they can get at a Surplus store that is made to be compact and easy to carry.

Semper-Fi!

grunt_doc

Postby grunt_doc » February 25th, 2009, 9:13 am

just bringing it back up to the front for some of the new guys...

Previous

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion