Turkey Jargon

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
stankyolgobbler

Turkey Jargon

Postby stankyolgobbler » July 30th, 2012, 4:31 pm

I know we turkey hunters, being that our sport is special(and the greatest sport on Earth), all have special code words, jargon, lingo, and slang terms for things unknown to those outside of our world. I sure have my own arsenal of terms and references to turkey hunting but I'd like to see what everyone else has. Let's lay out some words we use during turkey season and among our hunting buddies!

-Maybe coupled with some definitions depending on the words!
-Sage Morris

I like 'em close.....I mean REAL close.

Duke0002

Re: Turkey Jargon

Postby Duke0002 » July 31st, 2012, 10:05 am

"In the rocking chair." Some of our turkey places have a prime and comfortable sitting spot. So we just say I'll set up '"in the rocking chair."'

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » July 31st, 2012, 12:48 pm

Rather than say one of us shot a turkey, we've been known to say "I got red legs" from blood dripping on the backs of our legs as we're toting the turkey out.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

stankyolgobbler

Postby stankyolgobbler » July 31st, 2012, 7:01 pm

I like the "red legs" term. I had red legs all year in that case! (officially done tooting my own horn) ;) ...and I dont know if I'd always remember to bring plastic bags. I'll take the blood stains!
-Sage Morris

I like 'em close.....I mean REAL close.

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » August 1st, 2012, 8:47 am

TurkeyComander wrote:When you kill enough of them you'll get over all that.

Maybe, right now I kinda like having red legs too. The Mrs. isn't as thrilled about it though :D

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » August 1st, 2012, 2:06 pm

i have another term for " red legs" maybe its because i am short? or because i tote the turkey once harvested with his thighs resting on my shoulder i tend to end up with the "RED A$$" i dont think i will ever get tired of haveing red legs or a red A$$ comeing out of the turkey woods!!!??? my fav turkey pants have years & years of blood stained legs front & back as i like to pick up the gobblers B4 they are done floping? call me crazy!!!

i say & use this term mostly if not always when turkey hunting "buggered up" like them turkeys are all buggered up after that guy with the gobble call used it on his walk/hunt threw the woods or did you bugger up them birds??? guess i use it as a term for scareing turkeys needlessly???

also like the term " grabing a bird by the feet" or " giveing a gobbler a ride back to camp" or "giveing a gobbler a ride in the truck with me"

shaman

Postby shaman » August 3rd, 2012, 5:30 am

I think the idea of this game is to shoot them with a shotgun, not suffocate them with a plastic bag. I don't care how much blood there is, trying to bag a turkey instead of shooting it-- well, it doesn't sound even remotely fun.

I have this vision of a guy in a ghillie suit in the tall grass, bag in hand, slowly inching his way to a gobbler. Dang! That would be one heck of a ride, once you got the bag on, wouldn't it? You'd have to be quick-- probably get 'em from behind in hopes he didn't see the bag coming and duck out. You'd need a pretty strong bag, what with the gobber trying to peck at you and all. I suspect you'd get pretty mussed up, too-- rollin' round the field with that gobbler trying to get his spurs into you.

Then again, I had a rough night and the coffee isn't quite made. I'll go sit back down now and try to stay quiet.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

onpoint

Postby onpoint » August 7th, 2012, 8:14 am

Question in my group is did you hear any "yodelin" instead of asking if they heard in any gobblin' on a particular morning
"Chasin' gobblers has a lot in common with dealing with a wife, 'bout the time ya' think ya' got 'em figured out, they change the rules!!!"

Mossberg835

Postby Mossberg835 » August 8th, 2012, 6:39 am

If the turkeys were gobbling that morning I like to tell my father or brothers or my best friend Nate that the toms were "yelling their heads off" instead of saying they were gobbling. We also refer to some of the toms up on the hill near u's " the Old fools" cause they sound like they have something stuck in their throat :d :d :d
And shaman...lmao at your comment especially the last part :lol: :lol:
Hunt for thunder chickens for months at a time...you know that's right

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion