Gettin Healed

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
WillowRidgeCalls

Gettin Healed

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » August 6th, 2012, 8:47 pm

Well guys starting to get back on my feet after a week lay up. I was out playing a new call I built for a guy, and had my youngest setter out there with me on his cable. I was standing on the edge of my patio playing the call and my pup was out behind the garage sniffin around behind me. A stay cat ran between the house and garage into the back yard and my pup seen it and took off after it, his cable caught the back of my shoes and took my feet out from under me. I came down on my back right on top of the round cement edging around the patio. I got 2 broken ribs on the right side and 3 bruised ribs on the left and a gash that needed 4 stitches in the back of my head where I bounced off the concrete. I never seen the cat and wasn't aware of what was going on until I was on the ground. Worst yet the call I was playing flew out of my hand and landed on the same edging and broke the glass and soundboard in the call, so I built him a new one today. My young setter hid under the truck for about an hour after that, he knew he did something wrong, but I don't like cats and neither does he, so for him it was fair game. The bruised ribs are worst than the broken ones, you cough and dang near go to the ground. Bending and lifting is a bit tough, but I'm back up and moving again...slowly at first.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Gopherlongbeards

Re: Gettin Healed

Postby Gopherlongbeards » August 6th, 2012, 9:20 pm

Ouch Scott! Sorry to hear that, what a random thing to happen. Hope you heal up fast and are able to get in the woods this fall.

eggshell

Postby eggshell » August 6th, 2012, 9:31 pm

Wow scott,

saying a prayer for a speedy and complete healing.

I can relate to the dog taking you out. In late august 2010 one of our labs clipped my leggs and down I went. I instinctively stuck my arm out to catch my fall, but that turned out to be a bad idea. It felt like my arm exploded.It turned out to be a fractured right elbow and detached triceps tendon. It took surgery to fix and 13 weeks in a cast and or brace. My fall turkey hunting was learning to shoot off a shooting stick left handed. It took three attempts but I finally connected on a young gobbler. In short I feel your pain brother. Hopefully the hat guys will get you enough for a therapeutic dinner.
Bust em, Bag em, thank HIm

Dixie Belle

Postby Dixie Belle » August 6th, 2012, 10:25 pm

Golly Scott,
So glad it was not your back or a concussion with the head injury!!! I've been there with the broken ribs, and know how bad the coughs can hurt. Many prayers for a speedy recovery.
Ted
Dixie Belle Handcrafted Turkey Calls
NWTF award winning calls
Home of the "REBEL YELPER"
Remember "The shade comes free with the tree"

dewey

Postby dewey » August 6th, 2012, 11:42 pm

Gopherlongbeards wrote:Ouch Scott! Sorry to hear that, what a random thing to happen. Hope you heal up fast and are able to get in the woods this fall.

X2

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

grizzly

Postby grizzly » August 7th, 2012, 3:10 am

sorry to hear of your injuries Scott . hope you heal fast so you're ready for hunting season..wayne

onpoint

Postby onpoint » August 7th, 2012, 8:03 am

God's speed on the healing process. A bird dog I was training got me once got me with a check cord I was using in his training session. I had given the "whoa" command and had him standing like a statue, when the dog owner whom I was showing how the training of his prospect was going accidentally gave the release command "OK" in our conversation and the dog shot off like a bottle rocket :o . Unfortunately, I was standing on the tag end of the cord, which wrapped around my ankle when it was streaking away with the dog. The first thing that hit was my butt and then the back of my head. Luckily I was on soft ground. The only casualty was the deep burn in put on my bare ankle cause I was wearing shorts. I still bear the scar from it and the knowledge to either wear long pants while training or don't let observers talk during a training session :lol: :lol:
"Chasin' gobblers has a lot in common with dealing with a wife, 'bout the time ya' think ya' got 'em figured out, they change the rules!!!"

misoiltester

Postby misoiltester » August 7th, 2012, 8:13 am

Scott,
Sad to hear of your freak accident, and we'll sure try and not to make you laugh in the coming weeks, if you'll promise not to catch a cold :shock:
Here's to a speedy recovery, and pains a minimal as can be ;)
Ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts????

Duke0002

Postby Duke0002 » August 7th, 2012, 10:45 am

Glad you're on the mend, Scott.

My mom broke her hip when a friend's golden took off while she was holding the leash. Knocked her to the concrete.

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » August 7th, 2012, 1:57 pm

heel up fast & watch them stray cats they are hell!!! lol

man im lucky my 76 pound olde english bulldogge hasnt caused me that much damage them little hunting dogs seem to hell on people with leashes & check cords??? im just got a new hunting pup myself & now i will be thinking of every little thing that can happen B4 i head out to train??? i dont need any boo boos....

hope all goes well & no laughing it hurts to much

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion