rem 1187

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
whippinpost

rem 1187

Postby whippinpost » February 17th, 2009, 5:01 am

I just got the 1187 turkey gun with shurshot stock

I am going to pattern the gun this weekend but was wondering if anyone had any info or advice about what i have

they gun came with the remington turkey choke, and I have the primos jellyhead choke from my 870
i have a box of rem nitro #4 and #6 but will try out more

i am just wandering if anyone has any thoughts on the remington turkey choke that came with it
you would think using a remington gun, shells, and choke would be a good combination because i would think they put in a lot of studies on using their own brand combinations

i will let yall know how it works out but just wandering if anyone has any thoughts on this

Ozarks Hillbilly

RE: rem 1187

Postby Ozarks Hillbilly » February 17th, 2009, 6:05 am

I would say you will just have to shoot it and see what it likes best. I have found what works good in someone else's gun may not be the best in yours. I have a friend that shoot a 11-87 with a Remington choke and Winchester 3" 5's work well for him. This is what Remington has to say about there factory Turkey chokes.

TURKEY REM™ CHOKES
Turkey Super-Full Rem™ Choke
[font=arial]• Constriction reduced to .665"
[font=arial]• Delivers 85%+ patterns at 40 yards when used with Premier® Magnum
  Turkey Loads
[font=arial]• Front of tube is knurled for a good grip and easy removal, and extends out
  beyond end of barrel by approximately on inch
[font=arial]• Not for use with steel shot
Turkey Extra-Full Rem™ Choke
[font=arial]• Tight .687" constriction
[font=arial]• Puts 80% of pellets in 30" circle at 40 yards
[font=arial]• Not for use with steel shot
[font=arial]• Offers extremely tight patterns and dense pellet concentrations at long range
These Ozark Mountains Ain't High But The Hollers Sure Are Deep

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » February 17th, 2009, 12:52 pm

First of all welcome and congratulations on your new gun. I think you'll especially like the ShurShot stock. I put them on 2 of my 11-87's last year and like them.

I would certainly encourage you to try the choke that came with that gun. It's really very good. I've had several readers who've had good patterns with it and did not need an after market turkey choke.

I would encourage you to "deep clean" that barrel prior to shooting it. You can find an article entitled, "Cleaning a Shotgun Barrel" at http://www.allaboutshooting.com that will offer some guidelines for that process.

From my experience, it's all a matter of matching the barrel, choke and shotshell to optimize the performance. I always have better patterns, not just higher numbers, with #6 shot than any of the smaller sizes.

Gun manufacturers pattern their products a little differently than most turkey hunters. They use the 30" circle, as has been pointed out, for reporting their results. Many of us use a 20" or more commonly a 10" circle for evaluation of our patterns.

From my vantage point, a good even pattern, without large holes is what is needed, not necessarily a certain percentage of shot or certain number of "hits".

I'd recommend you use some "big paper" at least 36"x36" with your new gun and choke and see what happens.

If I can be of help, just let me know and I'll do all that I can.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

whippinpost

Postby whippinpost » February 17th, 2009, 1:31 pm

Clark,

I really appreciate the helpfull information and i liked and found your website very helpfull.
I am in college at The Citadel so i dont think i have the money to risk the barrel cleaning this year but i am sure i will in the future.
I am willing to buy a different choke and different turkey load, From your experience what have you found to be the best choke/ammo combination for an 1187 shooting 3.5 shells without going through the clensing process?

I would love to be able to try all different combinations but the money issue stands in the way

thanks for all the help

Jake

Return to Shooting