2013 OCELLATED & GOULD TURKEY HUNTS

The latest news from the field!
gouldshunter

2013 OCELLATED & GOULD TURKEY HUNTS

Postby gouldshunter » August 3rd, 2012, 7:37 pm

Just received word from USDA informing me that NO BIRDS from Mexico will be allowed entry into the US.
There is a very large outbreak of the BIRD FLU VIRUS.
Ask your outfitter plenty of questions prior to booking an Ocellated hunt if you plan on bringing back any trophies, you will not be able to bring back ANY BIRDS/TROPHIES.
Last edited by gouldshunter on August 3rd, 2012, 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dewey

Re: 2013 OCELLATED TURKEY HUNTS

Postby dewey » August 3rd, 2012, 9:22 pm

Does that apply if the turkey deceased? Some day when I go hunting for an Ocellated turkey I will get a full body mount of him for sure.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

gouldshunter

Re: 2013 OCELLATED TURKEY HUNTS

Postby gouldshunter » August 3rd, 2012, 9:30 pm

dewey wrote:Does that apply if the turkey deceased? Some day when I go hunting for an Ocellated turkey I will get a full body mount of him for sure.

Dewey

yes sir dead or alive!

misoiltester

Re: 2013 OCELLATED & GOULD TURKEY HUNTS

Postby misoiltester » August 4th, 2012, 2:11 pm

Rut' Ro' .. :shock:

There goes my hunt fer' next April :(

Waitin' fer' a call to see what's going to happen :roll: ;)
Ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts????

dewey

Postby dewey » August 4th, 2012, 9:59 pm

I wonder how many US hunters going to Mexico know about that? Would the outfitted/guide tell a prospective hunter about this? That would certainly hurt business if US hunters stopped going down there becuase they could not bring back their trophy.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

misoiltester

Postby misoiltester » August 5th, 2012, 6:56 am

Talked with my outfitter yesterday PM and says this has been in effect for 3 mths. now and the area(state) that has the problem with domestic chickens, is 4 states away from our hunt area. A similar situation happened 4 years ago. Just a matter of seeing if the disease is or isn't controlled by hunt time.
There are other options ;)
Ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts????

gouldshunter

Postby gouldshunter » August 5th, 2012, 10:35 am

more info

"Recently, Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza (HPAI) was confirmed in Mexico. In response, the USDA placed restrictions on the importation of avian (bird and poultry) products from Mexico. The restrictions require that upon importation, avian products be accompanied by a Veterinary Services (VS) issued import permit and the product be mitigated for HPAI prior to importation. These restrictions also apply to bird trophies. Bird trophies from Mexico now require processing to inactivate the HPAI virus and be accompanied by a VS import permit. Consignment to a USDA approved establishment is not an option for regions recognized by the USDA for HPAI. However, please be advised that fully taxidermy finished (mounted) bird trophies continue to have unrestricted entry.
For people traveling to the United States from Mexico who wish further clarification on what avian products can be allowed in passenger baggage, please contact the National Center for Imports and Exports at 301-851-3300, press the number five and ask to speak with a staff import veterinary officer.
email your questions to “askNCIEProducts@aphis.usda.gov”

dewey

Postby dewey » August 5th, 2012, 8:56 pm

Do you have any idea what is required to obtain the VS permit and what is required to process the bird? Are you going down there next spring?

Dewey

       

Return to News from Turkey & Turkey Hunting