i got an idea and i need help

Discuss turkey hunting's "second season" here
grizzly

i got an idea and i need help

Postby grizzly » July 31st, 2012, 4:16 pm

i want to try some thing different this fall but i want to make sure it would work before i go at this whole hog . i always had this dream of hunting turkeys with a flintlock rifle .i found a copy of a 78 cal smoothbore brown bess . someone once told me that a 78 cal was the same size as a 20 gauge shot gun if so than could you load it with bird shot . can any of you guys who shoot black powder help me out .Thanks for any advice that you may give me...wayne

Steve_In

Re: i got an idea and i need help

Postby Steve_In » August 1st, 2012, 2:40 am

Griz that sounds like a blast. .62 is 20 gauge, the Bess is more like 10 bore. Also the Bess is smoothbore, not a rifle which is good as you will be able to use shot. I hunt with a 10 bore percussion and it gives good patterns to about 40 yards. Mine has Jug or recess chokes the bess will be cylinder bore.
I can't reccomend which Bess to buy, but I would take a look at the Pedersoli products. It would be great to find a used one you could have a trial period with or some coaching from the seller. Good spark is the main consideration with a flintlock. You will need real black powder not the subs. I don't care what they say they just don't work well in flintlocks. Black English flints also outperform the new cut stuff. The rest is easy.
I would start with 120 grains of 2ffg Goex, a .125 hard card wad, 1 or 2 lubed cushionwads 1-3/4 oz of premium HARD lead shot held in by a thin overshot wad. Prime with Goex 4fg or if it is very dry Swiss null B. I will add to this when I get home and PM you some links.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

grizzly

Postby grizzly » August 1st, 2012, 3:30 am

Thank you Steve for all the great info it is very helpfull...wayne

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » August 1st, 2012, 8:55 am

Wayne here are some links I think you may find helpful. Also do you have any experience with shooting muzzle loaders? I hunt deer with flintlock and I can give you some pointers on their field use. A well tuned Bess will be as reliable as most caplocks, snow and rain just present more challanges. :D While you are getting to know your Bess give round ball a try. Go for a NY flintlock slam. Turkey, ducks & geese, small game, yotes and deer. I will get a list and some pictures of some items you will need to care for and feed your Bess.

You can see if there is a club in your area or contact a field rep. They may be able to put on to a local supply source. Often clubs do group buys on supplies and get a decent discount.
http://www.nmlra.org/

This is a great site for TRADITIONAL MUZZLE LOADING info. Some of the most talented builders hang out here. Also there are more experienced ML shooters than any other site I know of.
http://www.americanlongrifles.org/

http://www.muzzleloadingshotguns.com/home
http://www.muzzleloadingshotguns.com/links

Steve
Last edited by Steve_In on August 1st, 2012, 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » August 1st, 2012, 10:05 am

Very interesting, now I understand why you like smoked turkey. :D
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

grizzly

Postby grizzly » August 1st, 2012, 5:30 pm

Steve thanks again for the help . i was on the Pedersoli website tonight and i found a 75 cal indian trade musket that i really liked and it was recomended for bird hunting . now it's all about finding one and getting it here .Thanks again...wayne

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » August 3rd, 2012, 10:38 am

This the one Wayne?
Musket.jpg
Musket.jpg (9.74 KiB) Viewed 938 times

You will have to scrool down quite a ways to find it. The Indians preferred smaller bore so their powder and lead went futher. I have not looked at many production guns but I am having sticker shock. I know a lot of this has to do with the exchange rate. I found this one at ...
http://flintlocksetc.com/specials_rifles.htm

Also here are a couple of alternatives. I have not purchased from either but I know those that have. I have handled guns from both. Both are top class for the lower end custom muzzle loader field. They will be a bit more, but american made.
#1 Tip Curtis Frontier Shop
615-654-4445
tipcurtis@bellsouth.net.
He advertise's in Muzzle Blast. List a fowler kit for $625 and up. He had some made up with a turkey choke barrel for a little more than the Ped. Great guy to talk to and most helpful. He has more energy than most 20 year olds. He is hard to reach at times as he does shows and shoots. I think his in-the-white guns will sell for close to the trade Musket
#2 Tennessee Valley Muzzleloading
http://www.avsia.com/tvm/fowler.htm

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » August 3rd, 2012, 10:57 am

Very interesting, now I understand why you like smoked turkey.

YEP :D Charlie I have taken close to 60 deer, probably 45 with traditional sidelock Muzzleloaders. I do all of my turkey hunting with an original 10 Bore SxS. I do the majority of my rabbit hunting with an original 18 bore and I am working on a .36 squirrll rifle. My bucket list includes getting a bull moose with a flintlock. :P Love the sight, smell and taste of real black powder.

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » August 3rd, 2012, 1:27 pm

Steve_In wrote: :P Love the sight, smell and taste of real black powder.

Indeed, sounds like a good seasoning.
I've taken all kinds of game with all kinds hunting implements, rifles, pistols, stick bows, compound bows, x bows, blowguns, spears black powder percussion rifles. Exploring the flintlock is on my list so last year I purchased a a .32 cal Pennsylvania flintlock for squirrel & rabbits. But training Vic demanded most of my time. This year will be different and if or when I have questions you sound like the answer man.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

grizzly

Postby grizzly » August 7th, 2012, 5:10 pm

hey Steve i tried to send you a pm but i couldn't get it to go threw so i guess i'll do it this way . first let me Thank you for all the advice you have given me so far it's been very helpful . i have been looking on line at different websites . i found this one called the middlesex village trading company they have a gun called the new england fowler . do you know any thing about this company . how do you go about finding out if they are a good company to deal with . i do worry about companys who do not stand behind their products . thanks again ...wayne

Next

Return to Fall Hunting