Conclusion: The Tail of Dogma

In this interactive feature, Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20+ years of turkey hunting, asking "What would you do?"
Brian Lovett

Postby Brian Lovett » August 2nd, 2012, 3:59 pm

In "Decision Time," Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20-plus years hunting turkeys. Each hinges on a critical decision. Post what choice you would have made, and then see how things actually turned out.

I knew my buddy wanted me to crawl to the field edge. And really, if I executed the move precisely, it couldn't hurt. But that precision thing doesn't always work out, and the results can be comical. However, the bird wasn't moving, so it was doubtful he'd offer a shot anyway. I decided to crawl to the edge and live with the results.

As it turned out, my decision didn't make a difference? Why? Just as I prepared to ease around a stump, my buddy decided to mimic a turkey fight, complete with aggravated purrs and flapping wings. Hey, we'd used the tactic before with great results, so I couldn't blame him.

And lo and behold, his turkey fight finally let me see the gobbler — as the bird sprinted across the huge field and ducked into a distant woods.

Hey, decisions don't always pan out, right? I wasn't going to let my buddy know that, though. He was still aggressive purring and flapping, and I was giggling too much to tell him the truth.

What decision did you make?

Click here to return to the scenario.

Check out the best turkey hunting book we've read in a long time.

Return to Decision Time