All tagged out..Pennsylvania

tex3012

All tagged out..Pennsylvania

Postby tex3012 » May 3rd, 2011, 5:09 pm

Shot two birds, Monday and Tuesday.. Bradford County

Saturday was a real tough morning 39 degrees with a bone chilling wind. long morning short, not a single gobble or hen.. did have a porkiepine move through around 30 yards.. at 930 my sister finally woke up and called me to pick her up. i did, then went to a different location.. first thing i noticed was that there was actually turkey sign here.. we worked our way through the hill side and struck up a gobbler around 11 oclock. he wasnt comming our way so we went over cut him off. we got to the corner of the other side of the field he was passing through.. well luck has is 12 oclock came around befor the bird got to us. so we stood up and there he was, strutting just out of range.. she was bummed out but i explained to her 12 oclock is quiting time. iv neve seen her so excited then she was when we were calling in this bird..(im taking her out local to our home wednesday morning)

On monday i set up a blind where me and my sister saw the tom on saturday afternoon. 100 yard up the hill turkeys were roosted. there was 4-5 toms gobbling for 35 minutes straight. i made a few tree calls and a fly down cackle then shut up after a few purrs.. the birds didnt want to come to the field right away. at 815 the first birds showed up. they didnt come check out my decoy setup but the 3rd set of birds did.. two jakes and two hens came in from behind me silent. all of sudden a jake was just a few feet outside my side window.. honestly this startled me so much i believe my heart skipped a beat. i waited for a clean shot out the front big window and arrowed my first spring turkey with the bow. i wanted to do this for the longest time and the first time i take out my bow i get the job done. 9:05 dead jake.

Tuesdays bird was a Tom shot a 11:35 am with my shotgun. This bird gave me one of the best/most chalenging hunts i ever had. At 9am i got on top of the mountain and down the other side and up the next mountain i faintly heard a gobble.. i thought id never make it there in time before he shuts up but i heardhim gobble again and again and again. he was on his was down his mountain towards me so i started decending down cliffs boulders and creeks.. about half way down the mountain i see a coyote scratching in the leaves.. 70 yards (BANG) i dont think i killed it but i def. peppered it.. so i thought well that shot probably spooked the tom but i believe my shot made him double gooble. so i get to the bottom on the mountain 20 minutes later and he is still gobbling. i set up 2 DSD decoys (jake and submissive hen) and make my first call.. he answers right away and hes even hotter then ever.. gobbling over and over and over and over.. well hes comming in and a hen catches up with him and stears him away from my set up.. so i start following him and her.. and he goes up a ridge i follow staying one down from him at all times that way i can look for a quick stealth attack through a creek or draw.. i find one,cut him off, set up and start calling again.. he blows up with a series of gobbles. again the hen turns him away.. i circled him a two more times set up and both times the hen turned him away from me.. now they work down to a small hollow in the mountain which is surrounded by very open oak woods.. so now im sorrta screwed.. i thought of one more thing that may trick him.. i blew up my glass with putts clucks and fighting purrs and walked away from him.. this made him really excited and again gobbled over and over louder and louder but still stayed at the bottem of this hollow.. i walked up two ridges and waited 20 minutes untill i would call again.. during this down time i slowly worked my way down to the trail where i last set up on him.. so i called one more time to see where his was at.. his was 45 yards down the trail and maybe 5 yards around the corner.. at this time i had no hat no gloves and no face mask on with my sleeves rolled up. (79 degrees).i took one knee against a tree to my left and pulled up my gun.. had no time for gloves or anything.. he gobbled 6 times in a row 25 to 30 yards from me then he stepped out from the big pine tree i was sitting behind and at 15 to 17 yards i broke his heart..
23lbs 1.5 inch spurs on both sides and 10.5 thick beard.

Hear is a tip of the week... Stay out till NOON...

also i called in a tom for my buddy late monday afternoon..

Pictures will be posted tomorrow from my other computer after i crop and resize
--------------------
twitter @fishinreport
-------------------

roughrider123

RE: All tagged out..Pennsylvania

Postby roughrider123 » May 4th, 2011, 2:05 am

Very nicely done, congrats on a quick season. Excellent point with the calling. I watched 5 jakes totally ignore a guy calling behind me with constant yelping. I called those birds in twice with clucks and purrs.

roughrider out

dewey

Postby dewey » May 4th, 2011, 3:04 am

Congratulations on tagging out Stephen! Thanks for the story and the calling tips I will keep it in mind. Good job in getting Team #4 officially on the board.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

tex3012

Postby tex3012 » May 4th, 2011, 7:03 am

First the bow hunt , second and third the shotgun hunt

--------------------
twitter @fishinreport
-------------------

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » May 4th, 2011, 3:13 pm

Way to go Tex that second bird is a bruiser Congrats. on a super season. Nothing on this end yet.

Jon
Turkeybuster

tex3012

Postby tex3012 » May 4th, 2011, 4:03 pm

thanks.. i try not to shoot jakes but sometimes you get caught up in the hunt.. they give you the same hunt as far as gobbling and strutting goes.. also there just as good to eat..
--------------------
twitter @fishinreport
-------------------

tex3012

Postby tex3012 » May 4th, 2011, 4:06 pm

Also wanted to say all birds were killed on public land.. !
--------------------
twitter @fishinreport
-------------------

rsmithpa

Postby rsmithpa » June 23rd, 2011, 2:20 am

Congrats on your two gobblers. I tagged out in Bradford County Saturday and Tuesday on private land.
Full Fans, Longbeards, and Sharp Spurs

Return to Pennsylvania