Duck Dynasty not doing any favours!!

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
Wild Walter

Re: Duck Dynasty not doing any favours!!

Postby Wild Walter » July 27th, 2012, 7:42 pm

What part of "TV Show" don't u understand.If they want to stay on & in the spot lite,they have to act like fools :roll: .So just watch & enjoy.They won't be on forever . :(

grizzly

Postby grizzly » July 29th, 2012, 5:16 am

after reading all the posts. here's my take . Shows like Duck Dynasty , Swamp People and Top Shot have big following and i would wager that a good number of veiwers neither hunt or shoot . Yes the shows are chessey and most likely stage but the public love these guys and i believe it can be a good foil to the antis who try to paint us as cold blooded killers . When you look at the rise at gun and hunting tag sales across the U.S.. i wonder how much these show have to do with it people watching them and decideing i like to give that a try . if it adds numbers to our hunting and shooting sports then i guess it's not all that bad....wayne

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » July 30th, 2012, 3:18 pm

thats one thing i am scared of wayne that some of these idiots watching these T.V. shows with staged hunts & or bad ethics EVER WATCH THE NEW HUTTERITES SHOW & HOW THEY DEER HUNT? by driveing trucks threw fields & shooting at the fleeing deer as the run from the truck??? i mean if some of these non hunter & the like pick up on this crazy un-ethical way of hunting we all may have to share the woods with them someday
& i not to crazy about doing that??? i mean pull into a peace of prime public hunting grounds in a traditional turkey hunting area come opening of turkey season & you will see we really dont need much more people stumbleing around the woods together at the same time...??? its a accident waiting to happen... but then again you have to take these shows at face value so??? i just hope they stay watching it on T.V.

grizzly

Postby grizzly » July 30th, 2012, 4:24 pm

i hear what you're saying turkey junky and i understand but in most states you have to pass a hunters safety course before you can get tags and that's the time we as hunters need to take these guys under our wing and teach them the correct way of the woods also i notice an increase in young ladies hunting i wonder how much that has to do with these shows that feature women...wayne

eggshell

Postby eggshell » July 31st, 2012, 6:22 am

Grizz,

I can tell you this much about how these shows affected one person. My daughter wanted nothing to do with hunting for the first 27 1/2 years of her life. She started watching sons of guns and wanted to shoot some, then last fall decided she wanted to turkey hunt with me. She bought another license this spring and hunted with me a few days. She is not running around in a pick up shooting out the window. as you stated people will hunt as they are taught, let's not assume everyone will be a slob just because they watched a TV show. I for one am glad these shows are on. It thrills me to no end to have my daughter hunting with me. I don't think without these shows she would be.

Also, when our politicians vote on gun control or hunting public sentiment will hopefully be more on our side as a result of the TV exposure. Even though much of the shows are dramatized stage acts, I say give these people a pat on the back, if not a medal. The other thing is, I have also made statements like, "we don't need anymore hunters in the woods", but when I think about it that is just being selfish and selfserving.
Bust em, Bag em, thank HIm

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » July 31st, 2012, 9:03 am

Man I was hoping this would die. I checked out a brief clip of their turkey hunting show. What I saw was a couple of guys making fun of hunting shows. Seemed harmless to me. Jeff Foxworthy did a couple of spoof hunting DVDs that are real screams. I too agree if it sparks a little interest good for them. If it starts conversation between hunters and non-hunters we all may benefit. Shooters of mailboxes, road signs and road/slob hunters exsisted long before these shows.
I watch golf shows and I don't golf.
I watch the olympics and I am not an olypimpian
I even watch dances with the stars and I for sure am not a ballroom dancer.
I type and I can't spell :D
The fact is hunters are are our own worst enimies. The guy that dumps deer carcasses along a road for all to see. The guy that goes in to buy a 6-pack with blood all over his hands. Driving with a gutted deer in your pick-up with the tailgate down. These actions and similar do more harm than some TV show.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » July 31st, 2012, 1:22 pm

steve in im from minnesota & deer hunting is a tradition & damn near a religion up north come deer opener 1st saterday in NOV. every yr & in WISCONSIN for that matter & if i didnt see guys wearing blaze orange & driveing around & or on the freeway back home with a deer fully visable from there truck & or a guy running into buy a victory case of beer with the trade mark red wrists from dressing the deer then that would not be deer hunting in MN or WI to me??? if you have to worry about those things in your home town or think thats bad or a black eye for hunting??? then we hunters are our own worst enimies... i agree hole heartedly about the road hunters & dumping deer on sides of roads but thats not hunting what so ever...

grizzly

Postby grizzly » July 31st, 2012, 4:07 pm

that's great Dana . yes these shows aren't perfect. if it peaks an interest in the hunting and shooting we need to be there to help them along and who knows maybe you will find a new hunting buddy ...wayne

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » August 1st, 2012, 9:19 am

if you have to worry about those things in your home town or think thats bad or a black eye for hunting???

Sorry I don't think way. The comment on the bloody hands came from a friend that works in a convience store. Totally disgusted her. She knows I hunt and was just giving me some crap.
The discarded deer came from a neighbor whose did not appreciate someone dumping the mess on the side of our road. Pi$$ed me off too.
When you participate in a deer reduction hunt at our State Parks your deer MUST be covered before leaving the hunt. It was one of the negative comments when they had hearings to hold these hunts. As a hunter it does not bother me, but it really upsets nonhunters.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » August 1st, 2012, 2:18 pm

i honestly think you & the women at the convience store must live a heavy urban or non hunting region of IN
as if you go to any good ol ohio river town on the border of OH/IN/KY there are still some good ol country folk that do hunt deer & i doubt the red hands & or a deer in the back of a truck uncovered would draw any attenction from any locals???

yes if you have the nerve to go shoot bambi out of a protected STATE PARK then you should cover up the pet deer that you just shot B4 the old lady that feeds the deer every day sees it that may offend other visitors of a STATE PARK being that its useally NOT OPEN TO HUNTING... in MN we use to & still can go to a gas station or convienence store & register you DEAD DEER that would be the day i go to register a deer at a gas station & have to worry about a lil blood on my wrist/hands in MN,WI,MI,NE,KS,MT,SD,ND all these states have a tradition of hunting in most familys & they would understand hey its deer season...??? im so happy i live in the MID WEST MN is very hunter friendly & understanding

dumping a deer on the road should piss any PERSON off not just residents & or hunters...

PreviousNext

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion