Turkey Vest

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
NJrdh

Turkey Vest

Postby NJrdh » February 16th, 2009, 10:18 am

Any opinions on a good vest? I've hunted deer all my life and this is my 1st time for me turkey hunting. I've been looking at the Mossy Oak Super Elite III. Any +'s or-'s ? thanks

rbewilson

RE: Turkey Vest

Postby rbewilson » February 16th, 2009, 11:17 am

I have a mossyoak super elite 3 and love it, and just got the new one they make now limbhanger can not wait until spring to try it out.

mark hay

Postby mark hay » February 16th, 2009, 11:28 am

what i have been using for about 3 years works fine , though it is a bit cumbersome .
my IDEA of a perfect vest would actually be a harness of 1 inch nylon construction with double quick release buckles in front and 2 pockets , no higher or lower than shirt pockets. the back would have an 8 inch wide back cushion running from just above the area of the shoulder blades and down to just above the waist. the folding cushion should be round and no bigger 14 inches in diameter .
i like 'em light and only need enough pockets for snacks and water.
i've noticed many have a big , wide and square cushion that tends to get caught on brush too easily . and all those pockets are put into them so you'll spend more of your money to fill'em up .

Ozarks Hillbilly

Postby Ozarks Hillbilly » February 16th, 2009, 12:10 pm

Mossy Oak Super Elite III Is my choice. Mossy Oak limbhanger or the Cableas Tactical Tater are good strap vest's.
These Ozark Mountains Ain't High But The Hollers Sure Are Deep

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » February 16th, 2009, 12:26 pm

NJrdh-

I wouldn't overspend or get a vest that is too use-specific as a new hunter. As a matter of fact, a used vest would be a good choice, the reason being that after you get a couple of turkey seasons under your belt you'll have a much better idea of what you want in a vest and what gear you want to carry.

Here are some of my preferences based on my experiences and hunting style. I hate back pads. They cause your back to sweat and unecessary overheating. I have ripped them out of every vest I have owned. No buckles in the shoulder area. When you shoot, the gunstock will drive the buckle into your shoulder which is also unecessary.

I don't like an attached seat pad that folds up. I frequently dump my vest to go after birds and wear an inflatable cushion that straps around my waist. Shoulder straps must be padded and the vest must have a bloodproof gamebag for packing your bird out.

Lastly, I don't like the current fad of use specifc pockets all over the front, ie; box call pocket, slate call pockets etc. I prefer cargo style zippered areas with interior pockets. They offer more protection from the elements and accidents. With calls all over the front of your vest, you can't lie prone or belly crawl and If you trip and fall you'll likely break slate, your strikers or your box call.

As you can see, there's much more that goes into vest selection for me than what looks cool or what the latest craze is. I think you'll find that your idea of a good vest will evolve like mine did.

"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

RutnNStrutn

Postby RutnNStrutn » February 16th, 2009, 12:29 pm

Proud Member of the NRA, NWTF and UWF!

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.

Legal = ethical, so if you don't like it, don't do it!!

tracebusta32

Postby tracebusta32 » February 16th, 2009, 12:53 pm

That super elite lll is a nice vest, I didn't care for the primos gobbler vest because the seat was slippery and the buckles were made cheap on the vest I owned and eventually broke after one season.
Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

NJrdh

Postby NJrdh » February 16th, 2009, 12:56 pm

Thanks for all the replies. Like I said above, I've deer hunted all my life and have alot of gear that just gathers dust. Theres always something new and improved.

tracebusta32

Postby tracebusta32 » February 16th, 2009, 1:09 pm

Soon enough you will have turkey gear doing the same thing, I dont even care for a vest anymore...but good luck and welcome to the forum
Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

greyghost

Postby greyghost » February 16th, 2009, 2:57 pm

I to now use a Filson vest. Its all an individual need and taste. Good advise by all above.

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion