Decision Time: Black Locust

In this interactive feature, Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20+ years of turkey hunting, asking "What would you do?"
Brian Lovett

Decision Time: Black Locust

Postby Brian Lovett » July 24th, 2012, 9:43 am

In "Decision Time," Editor Brian Lovett will share a scenario from his 20-plus years hunting turkeys. Each hinges on a critical decision. Post what choice you would have made, and then see how things actually turned out.

Black Locust

Some days, you're blessed with textbook turkeys that honor your tree yelps and then tear up the woods on the way to the gun barrel. Yeah, many of my hunts don't resemble that, either. So what do you do? You hunt 'em, that's what.

That's pretty much where I was at a few years ago at a pretty place called Black Locust. It was a reclaimed phosphate mine in Missouri's Ozarks, and it featured a beautiful mix of open fields and gorgeous hardwoods. Oh, and it was jammed with turkeys, too. Trouble was, turkeys being turkeys, the gobbler we were on had hens and wouldn't leave one of those lovely open fields. His hens fed back and forth in the middle of the opening, and he just followed.

When he was at one end of the field, a buddy and I crawled up an old road to within about 40 steps of where he'd been 10 minutes earlier. It was a good setup ... if we had been there 10 minutes earlier. Now, however, the birds were 100 steps away and walking toward some shady timber. It was almost noon, and we figured they'd probably get in the shade soon.

Our dilemma was obvious. Did we crawl back to cover and slip around to where the turkeys were heading, or did we stay put in hopes they made one more swing past our setup? It's awfully hard to flip a coin when you're flat on your belly.

What would you have done? Post your decision below.

Click here for Lovett's decision.

Need a great wild-game grilling cookbook? Check this out!

WillowRidgeCalls

Re: Decision Time: Black Locust

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » July 24th, 2012, 11:01 am

If he is just following the hens and not doing his business with them, I would stay put a while and do some lost calling and kee keeing at him. If he was gobbling a bit while in the field following those hens, then he still looking for company and may come back to where he was, looking for another lonely hen. I've used a kee kee on henned up birds with very good success, in the spring.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Steve_In

Re: Decision Time: Black Locust

Postby Steve_In » July 25th, 2012, 1:23 am

Paper-Rock-Sicciors or Odds and Even :D Winner gets to decide to stay or go for the timber. That way you have your bets covered. If I won I would move to the timber.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

Return to Decision Time