Duck Dynasty not doing any favours!!

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
jk

Re: Duck Dynasty not doing any favours!!

Postby jk » July 18th, 2012, 6:01 am

I am the daughter, wife and mom of turkey hunters and last night I caught the Duck Dynasty episode and laughed until I cried. To worry about anyone taking Uncle Si seriously with his love dance is crazier than Uncle Si. When Uncle Si comes up with that duck call that has the ducks actually having brakes, the boys win the turkey competition and Phil actually works in the office instead of creating havoc the hunting community can rally the troops. Until then I will continue to enjoy the gut busting laughs the boys provider me and the rest of my family. (And we will all be secretly jealous we could not dynamite our old blinds and deer campers)

Mossberg835

Postby Mossberg835 » July 18th, 2012, 12:50 pm

i feel like i need to put my 2 cents in here. I feel like a lot of hunting based shows on tv make a bad name for hunting and im sorry to any of you who are, but i am not a redneck and do not like them. a lot of people that were in my taxidermy class are rednecks and they all shoot more than they should, snag fish and keep fish when they aren't in season and throw beer cans wherever they are when they happen to finish them. Im not saying any of you do that but i don't like that crap. That's why when they tried to put me in that group with them i was like, hell no, im an outdoors man. I like to hunt and fish and that's where the similarities end. I follow the law to a T. I don't keep fish i shouldn't, i only hunt stuff in season, and i teach others to do the same. That's just the way i feel and i wont apologize for it.
Hunt for thunder chickens for months at a time...you know that's right

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » July 19th, 2012, 2:15 pm

sorry to say mossberg835 you taxidermy class & what we are talking about here are 2 completely different things man??? & to keep it short i would much rather be grouped into the red neck catergory then the cabelas catalog hunter who drives a overly excesive luxery truck or SUV into the woods strolls out wearing his brand new camo outfit then backs his new ATV off & hits the woods for a few hours to hunt & then thinks that he is some how better then the guys in the beat up pick up truck wearing miss matching camo that dont look as clean cut as the big shot hunter that most ignorint people call red necks... any way ive seen all types of people from city slickers to good ol boys aka red necks throw beer cans & the such so dont hate the red necks just cuz your taxidermy class was full of poachers...

& by the way im from MN & not some southern guy just ranting cuz you said red neck its just i have met some good solid people from the south & other rual areas of the U.S. that most would call red neck but are nothing like you describe mossberg835

glenhunter

Postby glenhunter » July 21st, 2012, 12:20 am

I saw that episode and thought just the same...............staged for the cameras and show ratings! That couldn't have happened that easy!!!! :?:

gh

Mossberg835

Postby Mossberg835 » July 24th, 2012, 9:29 pm

turkey junky wrote:sorry to say mossberg835 you taxidermy class & what we are talking about here are 2 completely different things man??? & to keep it short i would much rather be grouped into the red neck catergory then the cabelas catalog hunter who drives a overly excesive luxery truck or SUV into the woods strolls out wearing his brand new camo outfit then backs his new ATV off & hits the woods for a few hours to hunt & then thinks that he is some how better then the guys in the beat up pick up truck wearing miss matching camo that dont look as clean cut as the big shot hunter that most ignorint people call red necks... any way ive seen all types of people from city slickers to good ol boys aka red necks throw beer cans & the such so dont hate the red necks just cuz your taxidermy class was full of poachers...

& by the way im from MN & not some southern guy just ranting cuz you said red neck its just i have met some good solid people from the south & other rual areas of the U.S. that most would call red neck but are nothing like you describe mossberg835

I hear you man, but even if somebody is a "cabelas catalog hunter", they shouldnt think they are better of course, but if they follow the laws then they are better in my mind than a person that has "lived in the woods their whole life but shoots more or keeps more than they should. And more people poach than you know, its amazing the amount of people i have found out poach and thought they were ethical hunters, makes me sad, but whatever. i have a bunch of family from the south and they are all very nice so i aint dissing southern people either. :D
Hunt for thunder chickens for months at a time...you know that's right

BigBuckeye

Postby BigBuckeye » July 26th, 2012, 9:21 am

I think it was hilarious!! My wife, thought exactly the way a non-experienced turkey hunter would think. She thought it was hilarious but she also looked at me funny as to what was wrong with me in not scoring every year :shock:

At that point, I was a bit ticked at the boys but then I said to myself, nice job on the double :)

Good entertainment and I have heard it can be that easy when the birds are that much 'in love' :lol:
I can't get any sleep!!!

Arnie

Myakka Chuck

Postby Myakka Chuck » July 26th, 2012, 12:03 pm

I love the Duck Commander show - it's fairly realistic and the guys take their duck hunting seriously. Duck Dynasty is a wholey scripted show and, to me at least, is the 3 Stooges of TV hunting shows - funny and meant to be. That entire turkey hunting sequence was a farce with no apologies. It WAS funny! Si is funny 'most any time he opens his mouth (hey! hi! I'm Uncle Si!).

But I don't think they would make as much fun of duck hunting as they did turkey hunting, 'cause that's serious biznez to them. I do both and believe me, they both have plenty of potential for ridiculousness.

MC

Maylinda

Postby Maylinda » July 26th, 2012, 12:38 pm

I absolutely love Duck Dynasty! I have yet to harvest a gobbler and none of my turkey hunts were near as successful as theirs. I watched the episode of them turkey hunting and I thought it was awesome! I would love to go hunting with those guys, they appreciate and enjoy the sport to it's fullest. I pray one day I will call in a gobbler and have a harvest but most of all I hope I have half the fun those guys did. Booyah!

turkey caller

Postby turkey caller » July 26th, 2012, 1:38 pm

First of all those were pen turkeys! Second the whole thing was staged! Third I love that show but if anyone thinks that they are doing that for the hunting industry or to promote hunting then your fooled! That show is about money, that is it! Willie is a business man first and firemost! When people watch that show they think hunting is a joke! They could have done another goat ripening or something for entertainment and that would have been fine with me! Still like the show and will watch it, but I liked Duck Commander way better! They didn't need to make a fool of turkey hunting and hunters like they did! They should have sent them with Mike Miller "the turkey killer" and showed America a real turkey hunt!

eggshell

Postby eggshell » July 26th, 2012, 4:03 pm

So turkey caller, your vote is that the show is a negative for hunting and not a plus? Should the NRA, NWTF and sportspeople of America boycott it?

Are we better off if the non hunting population of the US never sees a show like this. I for one never hear a non hunting person say anything about any of the "real hunting shows", but I have heard many people I know are non hunters say they love the show. I have never heard them say it proves hunters are idiots. Jase and his wife made an appearance at a local church and I'd bet 30% of the people attending were non hunters, and the message was not a joke. My vote is that it is a positive influence over all. do I think the turkey hunt was staged, yes. I still thought it was a fun show. I also think most of the viewers are smart enough to know a lot of it was TV drama.
Bust em, Bag em, thank HIm

PreviousNext

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion