Conclusion: Chasing a Trail of Smoke and Reason

In this interactive feature, Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20+ years of turkey hunting, asking "What would you do?"
Brian Lovett

Postby Brian Lovett » July 9th, 2012, 3:31 pm

In "Decision Time," Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20-plus years hunting turkeys. Each hinges on a critical decision. Post what choice you would have made, and then see how things actually turned out.

I wasn't about to sit tight and let the hottest-gobbling turkey of spring get bored and walk away. Further, I'd heard too many "they-do-this-all-the-time" stories from landowners through the years, and I'd have none of it.

So I grabbed my friend, and we slipped down the ridge, around the base of the hill and tight to the corner of the fence line. They turkey would only have to come 30 yards our way for my buddy to shoot it.

I yelped, and the gobbler climbed all over it — from the spot we'd left five minutes earlier. Sure enough, after I'd gone silent for a few minutes, that rat got curious and crossed the fence.

We tried to sneak back up the ridge to him, but I don't need to tell you what happened. Let's just say he didn't gobble again that day. And that silence, coupled with my friend's glare, rang in my head for quite a while.

What decision did you make?

Click here to return to the scenario.

Need a simple yet effective call? Here's our pick!

Bobbyparks

Re: Conclusion: Chasing a Trail of Smoke and Reason

Postby Bobbyparks » July 11th, 2012, 5:03 pm

yep...sounds familiar :)

But I'd still do just what you did when it comes to obstacles...in the long run...I believe the percenatges will playout in your favor making the move versus sitting in this scenerio
ACME PRO STAFF
Make Every Hunt a Blast With ACME Hunting Systems

Bobbyparks

Postby Bobbyparks » July 12th, 2012, 12:22 pm

A good point...I'd agree that alot of obstacles are mental ....but most obstacles don't have to be that at all...just a requirementy to figure out the next move..

for most it will come down to experinence or past experiences, confidence in an approach to a situation, and abilty to adapt or deal with finding an option in a particular scenerio....for those that can its not...for those who can't it is

There are physical obstacles that can hang up birds to a point that many of us can't get em to cross...at least on certain days....sloughs, creeks, even ditches and fences......I've had gobblers fly across a small river before but I know day in and day out thats not going to happen for me................birds pass these physical features every day on their own...but you are always hearing about the "hang up"

That said.....if you can adapt and make the right decision...what might be considered an obstacle by many...is not an obstacle at all ...as mentioned......to an extent its all in your head...if you think somethings not doable..its not......but the answer is in there somewhere....if you can figure out

I always think that it just a matter of finding a way......but I'm not always able to find it

Some are better at it than others

In this case that Brian describes.....if I'm set up and realize some type of feature has stopped his progress in coming in....I'm likely going to fast forward thru it and conclude that in too many past cases...he never came in and to stay was a mistake....different than waiting out a bird thats just arcing and not wanting to come that last 50-60 yards that I might try something else on......in what could be an obstacle...I'm going to try ....if i think I have a shot at making some type of move to take the obstacle out of play....
ACME PRO STAFF
Make Every Hunt a Blast With ACME Hunting Systems

Jellyhead

Postby Jellyhead » July 13th, 2012, 5:29 am

Brian Lovett wrote: I wasn't about to sit tight and let the hottest-gobbling turkey of spring get bored and walk away. Further, I'd heard too many "they-do-this-all-the-time" stories from landowners through the years, and I'd have none of it. So I grabbed my friend, and we slipped down the ridge, around the base of the hill and tight to the corner of the fence line. They turkey would only have to come 30 yards our way for my buddy to shoot it. I yelped, and the gobbler climbed all over it — from the spot we'd left five minutes earlier. Sure enough, after I'd gone silent for a few minutes, that rat got curious and crossed the fence.

Bobbyparks wrote: A good point...I'd agree that alot of obstacles are mental ....but most obstacles don't have to be that at all...just a requirementy to figure out the next move.

...and that's why we love this game! Just thinking about these two quotes reminded me of that frame of mind in the field: should I move? where? when? how? can I move quietly and fast, or will I be breaking every branch and twig for a quarter mile? And of course, despite the knowledge that experience in the field affords us, to me it seems every new day and new bird is a new (and exciting) scenario with new variables. It's that feeling when the adrenalin cranks up, your heart starts to race, and you can't catch your breath (not to mention shaking like a leaf).

Return to Decision Time