Number One Source

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
tracebusta32

RE: Number One Source

Postby tracebusta32 » February 13th, 2009, 5:53 am

[font=arial]When available, acorns are a favorite, but a wide array of mast, buds, fruits, grasses, seeds, insects, green vegetation, and small animals are consumed regularly in North Carolina.
Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

Gobblerman

Postby Gobblerman » February 13th, 2009, 4:18 pm

In the high mountain Merriams country of New Mexico, dandelions bloom in abundance in the spring.  Our turkeys are quite fond of the little yellow dandelion flowers and often can be seen in open meadows gourging themselves on these and newly sprouted grass shoots. 

Jim

silvestris

Postby silvestris » February 13th, 2009, 4:19 pm

Turkeys will usually have a favorite food at any time of the year, but it constantly changes with availability.
Why be good when you can B-Mobile or Spin & Strut.

Ozarks Hillbilly

Postby Ozarks Hillbilly » February 16th, 2009, 5:47 am

I killed a two year old one spring that had a taste for walking sticks, he had like a half a dozen in his craw. I guess he must have found a nest of them if they do indeed nest. I don't know that I have ever seen more than one walking stick at a time. Mostly in my area they forage on fresh greens, acorns and insects. I think they will eat anything that is available to them since they have little or no sense of smell, I assume they have little or no sense of taste.
These Ozark Mountains Ain't High But The Hollers Sure Are Deep

mark hay

Postby mark hay » March 4th, 2009, 2:27 pm

a farmer down the road told me he once watched a bunch of turkeys parading through his clover field , just about haytime . he said they were only picking the big red blooms .

what i would like to know ,,,do turkeys eat the little blue seeds of cedars ?

someone mentioned crows,,, they can see as good as a turkey,,, probably spotted the eggs from half a mile .

Previous

Return to Strategies