Shortest hunts?

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
StevePA

Shortest hunts?

Postby StevePA » February 13th, 2009, 2:19 pm

I pride myself at being able to kill turkeys quickly...What are some of your shortest hunts from the crack of dawn....
turkeykiller

wisturkeyhunter

RE: Shortest hunts?

Postby wisturkeyhunter » February 13th, 2009, 2:35 pm

I've killed several birds less than an hour after shooting time started. Fastest was probably the bird a few years ago that flew off the roost right at shooting time and landed about 50 yards away and followed his hens right to me about 10 yards away. He was dead about 5 minutes after shooting time started. To be honest it was kinda disappointing filling my tag that fast when I had 5 days to do it. Crappies were biting though so it wasn't a total waste.

trkynut54

Postby trkynut54 » February 13th, 2009, 3:00 pm

I killed one within the first hour once
Don't hunt harder hunt smarter

greyghost

Postby greyghost » February 13th, 2009, 3:44 pm

The fastest one was when I was calling for a friend. We set up that morning knowing a nice gob roosted on this hill. We finally got set up at first light after taking the long and quite way in. I let things settle and then gave a couple tree yelps at first light. Got a response about 50 yards infront of Jim. I was set up about 20 yards behind him. I then made a fly down with the wing (no calling). Maybe 2 minutes went by and I seen him pitch, at first I could not get the general direction he was heading, but once I focused the bird was headed right for Jim. I know he landed close when Jim shot, the bird was about 5 or 6 steps in front of him (he missed) but as the bird started to retreat Jim made good on his follow up at about 20 yards.

I have killed a few over the years within the first half hour. But most of mine are between 8 and 10.

silvestris

Postby silvestris » February 13th, 2009, 4:17 pm

I have killed several within ten minutes of the first gobble or the first call.  I will have to look back at my turkey list and remember the hunts.
Why be good when you can B-Mobile or Spin & Strut.

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » February 13th, 2009, 5:15 pm

I have also had a few of those out of the tree and into my lap experiences.
TB

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » February 14th, 2009, 5:45 am

I have killed several within ten minutes of the first gobble or the first call as well, but most were of the lonely gobbler variety that pitches down in gun range.

The one that stands out had hens with him and they proved to be his undoing. I was about 15 yards inside the timber at daybreak when I heard tree yelps and the first gobble of the morning only about 30 yards away. I leaned over to see around another tree and saw the gobbler on the roost. I was too close to do any calling or move and decided it wouldn't improve the situation anyway. I sat tight and about five minutes later two hens flew down but they glided out of the woods and about 75 yards behind me into a pasture. I was afraid the gobbler would follow but he pitched down only 20 yards into the field. I had to make a move and soon so I immediately belly crawled to the largest tree on the woodlot edge. I slowly stood up to peer around the tree and could just see the tip of his tailfan. I slowly eased the gun up and was just getting ready to cluck on a diaphragm when I caught movement out of the corner of my right I and the hen's started alarm putting. The gobbler immediately came out of strut and raised his head for the last time.

Longer, more challenging hunts may teach you more, but it's still really satisfying to know that your scouting paid off and you made all of the right moves.
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

rsmithpa

Postby rsmithpa » February 14th, 2009, 7:56 am

The last two springs I filled my tag by 6:10 am.  Roosted the birds the night before. Got in good position and the game was over early.  It does not always happen that way as we all know.
Full Fans, Longbeards, and Sharp Spurs

paboxcall

Postby paboxcall » February 14th, 2009, 8:59 am

Shortest hunt was ten minutes almost to the dot from first gobble to shotgun blast.
"So much of this business of hunting turkeys, you stupid it up right at the last.
You do everything right for an hour and a half, and then you sit down here
and there's nothing you can do about it, you made a mistake."
Tom Kelly, [i]Turkey Tales

Cut N Run

RE: Shortest hunts? or Longest?

Postby Cut N Run » February 18th, 2009, 6:08 pm

My shortest hunt was probably about 20 minutes after first light. Never had one pitch right down in my lap off the limb (though I've seen 'em fly down in my direction & walk in). I always get to the area I intend to hunt at least an hour before it gets light, so I've been sitting for a while before it is even light enough to see or shoot.

Not to hijack this thread, but how about your longest hunt (post contact with the bird) until harvest?

In 1996, about the third week of the season around 10 AM, I had one stay within sight for over an hour, just across an old logging road from me.  It hung up real bad on a slight rise around 70 yards away and he did not offer a clear shot until he got inside 20 yards. There was a low spot along with a lot of young pines & broomstraw between me & him that was like a wall. He gobbled somewhere between 70-80 times before my purring & scratching the leaves coaxed him in. He just kept strutting back & forth to where all I could see the top of his fan and his head at times. He suddenly quit gobbling and I saw him headed my direction through some limbs. Next thing I know, he is real close just across the roadbed.  After the shot, my guts were in knots, I was shaking, and I'd worked up a sweat just trying not to get busted.

We have taken at least a dozen Longbeards from that same spot, but they usually come straight down the road, not from across it.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

Next

Return to Strategies