The newest craze for turkey calls

Support for hopelessly addicted turkey call collectors
kygobbler

The newest craze for turkey calls

Postby kygobbler » July 11th, 2012, 3:08 am

I have seen some turkeys call made from some unusual stuff before but never one like this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Turkey-Call-Eas ... 1e6fd22923

I had a good laugh from it but also had me wondering was "how does it sound?" Now I know I cant imagine myself caring a turtle shell around during turkey season but Im willing to be bet some has before. Have any of you ever seen anything like this or wierder?
Is it turkey season yet?

Gobblerman

Re: The newest craze for turkey calls

Postby Gobblerman » July 11th, 2012, 9:48 pm

Actually, tortoise shell calls have been around a long time, at least back in the sixties that I can recall. Not sure how they got started or who thought of the idea. I suppose some creative turkey hunter must have found an empty shell, thought it would make a good sound chamber for a slate call, and the rest is history. I have had an empty shell for decades that I was planning on making a call with, but just never got around to it. Maybe somebody here has a more precise history for how they got started.

Kawboy888

Re: The newest craze for turkey calls

Postby Kawboy888 » July 29th, 2012, 1:58 am

Turtle shell calls have been around for longer than I have been alive. In some states it became illegal to use the shells so guys started carving them out of wood and painting them. I've seen some crazy beautiful talent in those works and there's several guys that specialize in hand carving those turtle shell designs. The head is usually the fat end of the striker.
Rich Leathers
Leathers Archery
"Instruments of Mass Destruction"

Return to Call Collecting